www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 31-01-17, 16:46   #101
Yeauxleaux
Explorer

It's my favourite from the LAU era, probably because it had the most in common with the older games (naturally). I remember feeling really excited when I saw they were re-making TR1 with Legends' streamlined gameplay. It did invoke nostalgic feelings when I played it, seeing so many areas from TR1 re-created in beautiful visuals (which still look pretty good even by today's standards actually). I still go back and play it sometimes.

TR1 (and most of the CORE games) win over Anniversary for me though, mostly because TRA was just too easy and lacked all the complex interactive puzzles that the CORE games have. Most of the puzzles were just that bit too streamlined and easy to work out, no real challenge. I also felt the game lacked the tense eerie environment the original had, and they cut way too much out of some levels (Atlantis/Lost Island and the entire Peru level come to mind in particular), while replacing the cut bits with long boring corridors, whose only purpose was to get you to the next area.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 01-02-17 at 08:39.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-17, 21:16   #102
paulinchen2503
Student

No, you're definitely not the only one loving TR:A!

I love all the classics, but still this one is my favorite game to play to this date
paulinchen2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-17, 16:03   #103
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

Back when I played it for the first times I didn't know it was a remake... so, considering that, I thought it was just so boring and had some terrible colours compared to TRL...
And I still think it is kinda boring, both levels and textures
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-17, 01:44   #104
OkraBrueder
Hobbyist

As i grew up with the LAU games, Anniversary is part of my childhood and i still connect really beautiful memories with playing this game. Replaying it, i can see some things i dislike in advance but that doesnt change my love for it and the great times i had with it
Old 07-03-17, 16:17   #105
loom
Student

I like it a lot, but...
The very best remakes keep what was good in the original while adding (preferably lots of) new stuff. TR Anniversary simply cut out much more content than it added.
I dont understand the complaints about the adrenaline dodge. If anthing, it made the combat too easy at least on the pc with m&k. I guess its difficult to perform with a controller?
loom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 17:01   #106
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
TR1 (and most of the CORE games) win over Anniversary for me though, mostly because TRA was just too easy and lacked all the complex interactive puzzles that the CORE games have. Most of the puzzles were just that bit too streamlined and easy to work out, no real challenge..
I'll have to disagree with this . If there's one thing Anniversary nails it's the puzzles (I think you're mixing level design with actual puzzles) , while the level design in Anni was different to TR1 in the sense that it ditched the interconnected complex design of the map in favor of more and more empty boring longass corridors , the isolated puzzles where great (actually , I think TR4 , GoL and Anniversary have the best puzzles in the franchise) think about the section inside the big sphinx in sanctuary of the scion , in TR1 you just swim to the bottom , pull an underwater switch and you're done , while in Anniversary you had a big complex puzzle that requires traversing the whole place , controlling water levels and solving smaller riddles while you're at it to reach your destination , same with the side rooms in St Francis folly and Palace Midas for example , the water room in TR1's SFF had you jump into a deep pool , collect a key and swim back to the surface , but it was another complex and tricky puzzle in the Anniversary version , and so on .

Quote:
Originally Posted by loom View Post
I dont understand the complaints about the adrenaline dodge. If anthing, it made the combat too easy at least on the pc with m&k. I guess its difficult to perform with a controller?
People (me included) hate it because it was forced on the player , you don't have the choice , once the enemy is enraged you have to use it or you'll get a vicious punch that dries more than half of your health bar , this is just a design mistake that was corrected in Underworld .
Old 07-03-17, 17:25   #107
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I'll have to disagree with this . If there's one thing Anniversary nails it's the puzzles (I think you're mixing level design with actual puzzles) , while the level design in Anni was different to TR1 in the sense that it ditched the interconnected complex design of the map in favor of more and more empty boring longass corridors , the isolated puzzles where great (actually , I think TR4 , GoL and Anniversary have the best puzzles in the franchise) think about the section inside the big sphinx in sanctuary of the scion , in TR1 you just swim to the bottom , pull an underwater switch and you're done , while in Anniversary you had a big complex puzzle that requires traversing the whole place , controlling water levels and solving smaller riddles while you're at it to reach your destination , same with the side rooms in St Francis folly and Palace Midas for example , the water room in TR1's SFF had you jump into a deep pool , collect a key and swim back to the surface , but it was another complex and tricky puzzle in the Anniversary version , and so on .

People (me included) hate it because it was forced on the player , you don't have the choice , once the enemy is enraged you have to use it or you'll get a vicious punch that dries more than half of your health bar , this is just a design mistake that was corrected in Underworld .
Well, "corrected". IMO Underworld combat is way worse than Anniversary's. And Anni's isn't any marvel. Not saying classics' are much better in that aspect.

The combat in general looks more as an afterthought than something integral to the game. Just the opposite of the new games. I wish we had a game that integrated everything.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 17:39   #108
Patrick star
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
Well, "corrected". IMO Underworld combat is way worse than Anniversary's. And Anni's isn't any marvel. Not saying classics' are much better in that aspect.

The combat in general looks more as an afterthought than something integral to the game. Just the opposite of the new games. I wish we had a game that integrated everything.
"Corrected" as in "made the adrenaline dodge optional" , but in general , the combat in Underworld is the second worst combat in the franchise after AOD .
Old 07-03-17, 18:41   #109
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

Quote:
"Corrected" as in "made the adrenaline dodge optional" , but in general , the combat in Underworld is the second worst combat in the franchise after AOD .
Ufff, I can't tell which one is worse. Yes, AoD has the Kurtis levels and Boaz specifically is a pain in the ass, but Underworld has tons more of combat agaisn't equally frustrating enemies. The spiders, the giant lizards, the tigers... they all behave like mini-boazs. They are faster than Lara and catch her almost every time no matter if you try to evade them. And they attack again the second you get up.

Really, I can't tell which one is worse. At least in AoD the combat is only clunky, but not infuriating, because the enemies are weaker and you can kill almost everyone without much effort. Except Boaz. Boaz is hell.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17, 19:21   #110
loom
Student

Quote:

From what I gathered more people seem to hate it because they found it difficult to execute which I dont understand. On the other hand I dont think I ever managed to do it in Underworld...which didnt matter much because that game had brain dead combat, due to having all weapons from the start and truckloads of ammunition.

Last edited by loom; 07-03-17 at 19:26.
loom is offline   Reply With Quote