www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-07-14, 00:34   #1
Sifo-Dyas
Archaeologist

Thumbs down I love Tomb Raider but I háte Anniversary ...

Hey

at the risk of starting a new thread which may sound a tad boring, but for the sake of my mouse and my overall interest in good games, I decided to abandon Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

Apart from the fact that I see NO reason at all to remake Tomb Raider 1, which is easily much better than Anniversary and still one of the finest in the entire Tomb Raider saga, Anniversary is also from to time just ... I don't know ... annoying!

The fact that:

A) you have to click every single time to shoot your guns

B) near the end in the Great Pyramid you have to shoot those timed traps so that rings and wooden sticks come out of the wall, but at the same you're being harassed by stupid monsters.

C) The Great Pyramid? What's so great about it? It's long, superfluous and boooring as hell.

Am I alone in this when I say that Anniversary is a silly remake of a once great classic?
Sifo-Dyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-14, 00:36   #2
matrix54
Tomb Raider

Anniversary's a fine game on its own merits, but it's an insult to its source material.
Old 10-07-14, 00:37   #3
MegaGamer
Professor

You are NOT alone. I hated anniversary. I felt that it was almost pointless to create a remake of tomb raider 1. It's very annoying and boring in my opinion, so I am sticking with tomb raider 1. You are not alone, don't worry
Old 10-07-14, 00:38   #4
larafan25
Legend

I LOVE the fact that you have to press the button each time to shoot the guns. It's brilliant.

Felt very odd when it was absent from TRU. Couldn't shoot as quickly.

I don't think it's poor, or poor for the reasons you mentioned. But it fails to recreate certain significant experiences that the original induced.
Old 10-07-14, 00:49   #5
Greenapple968
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifo-Dyas View Post
Hey

at the risk of starting a new thread which may sound a tad boring, but for the sake of my mouse and my overall interest in good games, I decided to abandon Tomb Raider: Anniversary.

Apart from the fact that I see NO reason at all to remake Tomb Raider 1, which is easily much better than Anniversary and still one of the finest in the entire Tomb Raider saga, Anniversary is also from to time just ... I don't know ... annoying!

The fact that:

A) you have to click every single time to shoot your guns

B) near the end in the Great Pyramid you have to shoot those timed traps so that rings and wooden sticks come out of the wall, but at the same you're being harassed by stupid monsters.

C) The Great Pyramid? What's so great about it? It's long, superfluous and boooring as hell.

Am I alone in this when I say that Anniversary is a silly remake of a once great classic?
Believe me, you're not alone.
I've played TR1 hundreds if not thousands of times and I absolutely adore the game and always have done. Great game, loads of fond memories. The same applies to TR2, TR3 and TR4.
I've played TR Anniversary once and I never went back to it. It's the only TR game I've started and not completed. I can't remember too much about it but I know I hated the game, I know I've never wanted to go back to it and never will. Just thinking about Anniversary makes me angry and insulted. The worst game I've ever played before in my life, in my opinion.
Anniversary is appreciated by a lot of people and so it obviously does have qualities but just isn't the game for me.
Old 10-07-14, 06:17   #6
voltz
Tomb Raider

I didn't agree with all the changes, but I've never the less come to really enjoy anniversary far more then I liked other TR's. Something about it's gameplay just fits like a glove...

Sorry I'm not with you.
Old 10-07-14, 07:17   #7
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Anniversary was a great game it's the only Tomb Raider game CD made that's perfect TR2013 is a great game but it's not Tomb Raider
Old 10-07-14, 08:08   #8
voltz
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackboy123 View Post
Anniversary was a great game it's the only Tomb Raider game CD made that's perfect TR2013 is a great game but it's not Tomb Raider
Now that I think about it, I feel like I enjoy Legend.... maybe a little bit better.

Must have something to do with how it plays simple and straight forward.
Old 10-07-14, 08:28   #9
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

Same here. I love TR1, and I can't stand Anniversary. I'm not going to get into how I dislike CD's interpretation of the TR1 story and how it doesn't work for me, since I've written about that extensively here at TRF already. That doesn't exactly kill the game for me, but it does dampen my involvement somewhat.

Anniversary is the TR game I have not actually completed. As in, I was so frustrated by it I refused to go on. I only made it as far as the boss battle in the Tomb of Tihocan. I absolutely hated each of the boss battles and QTEs. I hated the checkpoints. I hated the adrenaline dodge system. I hated that the entire control scheme was so clumsy and imprecise on the PC. I hated the linearity, and I hated the fact that each level seemed like a miniature golf version of its former self.

None of the levels were improved upon in any substantial way, with the sole exception of graphics. The Coliseum was actually round this time, which was nice, I suppose. There were open skies in the Lost Valley and Coliseum as there were originally supposed to have been. And the puzzle in the Poseidon room was better than the original. Also, the change in name from Thor to Hephaestus was appropriate. And the audio was generally excellent. The music not so much (it was overwrought and dramatic), but the ambiance and sound effects were superb.

But aside from all of this, Anniversary makes my blood boil even thinking about it. I would gladly play the original 10 times in a row before touching Anniversary again.
Old 10-07-14, 09:00   #10
Rai

This is better off in the TRA section.

I actually like Anniversary. There are things about it I wasn't keen on, but I enjoyed playing it overall.

Last edited by Rai; 10-07-14 at 09:02.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote