www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-01-17, 18:57   #21
chippochippo
Hobbyist

I prefer puzzles to combat since I stink at combat in general. The puzzles are great if you turn Lara's dialog volume to 0, btw.

When stealth is not an option, there are usually still a lot of opportunities for strategy in the reboot TRs. That keeps combat mentally interesting, imo. If you spend the first couple of deaths to just figure out where cover, explosive barrels, flammable barriers, and rope-pullable barriers are located and what the waves of AI will do, it's usually smooth sailing after you have a plan.

There's no shame in playing through on Easy (which has aim assist) if you don't love modern combat, and there are flaws in the AIs for sure. I beat the endgame samurais by luring each wave back to the first area and just running in circles around a barrier until they got close to an explosive barrel or I had a clean shot.

I actually dropped out of the classic TR series at TR2 because it had too much combat for me, lol. How times have changed... When upgrading weapons, I recommend giving NO upgrades to the pistol; save salvage to keep your bow, rifle, and shotgun maxed out. Use the shotgun if an enemy gets really close.
chippochippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 21:12   #22
benjamin_2010
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if you'd finished the game yet, Ben? If yes, what are your final thoughts??
I never saw your post in the thread! I have not finished the game. I stopped playing after I reached Shantytown. It was just so mind-bogglingly frustrating that I haven't had the nerve to pick up the controller again. It's too bad because I really need to finish this game before I can play ROTTR (which I bought on pre-order and is collecting dust currently).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippochippo View Post
When stealth is not an option, there are usually still a lot of opportunities for strategy in the reboot TRs. That keeps combat mentally interesting, imo.

There's no shame in playing through on Easy (which has aim assist) if you don't love modern combat, and there are flaws in the AIs for sure.

When upgrading weapons, I recommend giving NO upgrades to the pistol; save salvage to keep your bow, rifle, and shotgun maxed out. Use the shotgun if an enemy gets really close.
The creative approaches you can take to combat in the game are definitely rewarding. It's really fun to successfully approach an area in stealth mode, using the bow. It seems like there are too many situations though where you are forced to be guns-a-blazing. I am pretty sure I've upgraded everything pretty evenly thus far with a lot of upgrades going to the pistol. Ah well..
benjamin_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote