www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 26-11-16, 02:36   #1
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

Default Were the pistols originally going to be useable in the VCI section?

I just thought I'd ask because in the FMVs and in almost all the renders Lara has her pistols, yet they're not useable in-game. Not to mention one of the testing levels had them playable.
Old 13-01-17, 22:06   #2
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

IIRC yes the pistols were gonna be used in the VCI levels but core scrapped them due to time constraints.
Old 14-01-17, 00:44   #3
Boobandie
Professor

They might have intended them to be usable in the early stages (and when they were commissioning the FMV's) but later decided against it when they went for more variety in level weapons.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 01:52   #4
JoelCaesar
Archaeologist

I'm glad they didn't though it made you stress about ammo consumption a lot more.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 02:11   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Archaeologist

^That and she would have to fork over the pistols along with the HK Gun.
Old 14-01-17, 13:44   #6
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with cats and TR1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, UB, GM, LA, and Times level

I thought it was good that she didn't have pistols in the VCI section.
Old 21-01-17, 04:15   #7
Kapu
Professor

It could be that dual pistols were originally planned, but I suspect it was just an inconsistency between the FMV model and the in game one. Lara was never seen without dual pistols those days, so it was probably just a given that she would don her holsters and dual pistols while in the (FMV) catsuit.

The guys and gals at Core have pretty much said consistency was not a priority when building Chronicles. Hence the problem with Pierre and Larson dying twice or Lara already having her backpack in Ireland despite it taking place before Cambodia. They probably didn't expect for the little things to be scrutinized by us die hard fans.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 04:23   #8
Boobandie
Professor

Larson got thrown across a courtyard and vanished. Pierre fell down a pit, the kind of offscreen death a character might survive. It happens before TR1 on the timeline anyway, and the death sound could just be winston being an unreliable narrator, or not a death sound at all.

No explanation for the backpack, but the timeline puts it as the same year anyway so it may have happened afterwards.

That interview was done more than a decade later, it could be the person misremembered the timeline and that it actually did make sense. These games are almost certainly a lot more obsessively scrutinized by us than by them.

To me the only inconsistencies in Chronicles can be chalked up to the FMV's being outsourced. Croft Manor used an ingame model for the outside rather than the model Core used in TR1 (and for the TR2/3 loading screens). The inside didn't match. And the models for Lara's costume in Ireland and New York didn't match.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 04:57   #9
Kapu
Professor

In regards to the backpack, The Official Tomb Raider Files puts the Black Isle event before Cambodia. It also puts TRC Rome before TR1 for the record, but the did they or didn't they die argument still rages on.

While the FMVs for Chronicles were produced out of house (a company called Ex Machina, the creators of the Lara Croft Seat commercials - in case anyone was wondering), the models themselves may have been created by Core. I couldn't find any evidence to say otherwise. It would seem the FMVs for TR1-4 were produced in house, as the credits for those game list Core employees under FMV Artist/Sequencing titles. But who knows, could be a goof up from Core, Ex Machina, or really just an oversight that no one cared about. Multiple interviews have told us that Chronicles was not a game the team was enthusiastic about building, and that I doubt was remembered incorrectly.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 06:18   #10
SS Leigh
Historian

The pistols don't match a stealth mode game i think that is why they removed it. You can't have an accurate target and they are loud. It's good that they removed it in my opinion. Oh i didn't know Ireland events happened first! I thought it was the other way around! specially because Lara seems more confident and prepared during her adventure on that island. Scared but still.