www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 03-02-17, 21:35   #31
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

It would be safe to say in my opinion it was sometime after TR2, maybe after she got the Dagger Of Xian, that obviously filled her pockets some more and went and got the mansion modernized which also got her in the mood to go steal an artifact that Indiana Jones collected to fill her new trophy room so while not go steal the Iris back from her old mentor while she was at it?

I just like the fact they both fight over the thing and both of them have no idea of it's purpose, it's just old rivalry gone extreme but I don't see why Werner didn't just order a raid on Lara's Mansion after to retrieve it back after she stole it from VCI, it's not like he doesn't know where she lived and he has a full arsenal at his disposal.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 03-02-17 at 21:37.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 14:07   #32
adamtombraider
Explorer

I have always thought the VCI levels are set after the Golden Mask because we also see that in the TR3 trophy room this is my view of the timeline of events

Cambodia
Black Isle - Ireland
Rome
Russia
TR1/Anniversary
Unfinished Business
VCI
TR2
Golden Mask
Search for the Golden Mask (Level Editor game and also the reason why we see the Mask in the TR3 trophy room as she retrieved it in this game and visits an undiscovered part of the original temple from the Golden Mask)
TR3
Lost Artifact
Shakespeare Cliff revisited (Level Editor game)
Times Exclusive explains the reason why she is in Egypt at the start of TR4
TR4
Escapes from the great pyramid in Giza recovers with Putai and her tribe
Fading Light (Level Editor game)
Returns to the UK intent on retiring from her travelling for good gets a call from Von Croy
Angel of Darkness
Legend
Underworld
Guardian of Light
Temple of Osiris

Last edited by adamtombraider; 16-02-17 at 14:37.
adamtombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-17, 17:36   #33
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

Well here's what I think what happened in order:
TR4 Cambodia
TR5 Ireland
TR5 Rome
TR1
TR1 Gold Egypt
TR1 Gold Atlantis
TR2
TR2 Gold
TR5 VCI
TR3
TR4 Times level
TR5 Russia
TR3 Gold
TR4 Egypt
TR4 Lara goes missing in egypt
TR6
Old 19-02-17, 20:19   #34
dinne
Historian

^
^^

I have watched in a promotional trailer that VCI was in 1995, so, one year before TR1!
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-17, 20:40   #35
ESCachuli
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtombraider View Post
I have always thought the VCI levels are set after the Golden Mask because we also see that in the TR3 trophy room this is my view of the timeline of events

Cambodia
Black Isle - Ireland
Rome
Russia
TR1/Anniversary
Unfinished Business
VCI
TR2
Golden Mask
Search for the Golden Mask (Level Editor game and also the reason why we see the Mask in the TR3 trophy room as she retrieved it in this game and visits an undiscovered part of the original temple from the Golden Mask)
TR3
Lost Artifact
Shakespeare Cliff revisited (Level Editor game)
Times Exclusive explains the reason why she is in Egypt at the start of TR4
TR4
Escapes from the great pyramid in Giza recovers with Putai and her tribe
Fading Light (Level Editor game)
Returns to the UK intent on retiring from her travelling for good gets a call from Von Croy
Angel of Darkness
Legend
Underworld
Guardian of Light
Temple of Osiris
You can't put Anni/Legend/Underworld in the same universe as Core games because she can't have her parents both dead and alive at the same time, nor you can't have Natla alive and dead, both a goddess and a mortal xDDD
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-17, 09:14   #36
Tyrannosaurus
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Between 2) and 3):
Lara has a name for herself. She also has a house where she's putting her treasures. By this time, she could have stolen the Iris and placed it in her treasure trove, but we don't see it. Being nearly 10 years since Angkor Wat, it wouldn't really make sense for VonCroy to be in a wheelchair, unless his pelvis was also injured in which case it would've taken a long time to heal.
It was 12 or 13 years since the incident in Cambodia. Lara's tour through Asia with Von Croy took place in 1984, whereas the rest of the TR titles are assumed to take place in the years they are released. AOD might be set in 2002 instead of 2003 (according to the design documents), but it's immaterial.

I would place Lara's venture to the VCI building between TR2 and TR3, in late 1997 or early 1998, because this accounts for the presence of the Iris in Lara's trophy room in TR3. I think that was the purpose of the entire episode. Her need for technical assistance is simply due to the nature of the mission, and doesn't reflect any lack of experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtombraider View Post
I have always thought the VCI levels are set after the Golden Mask because we also see that in the TR3 trophy room
I don't think that's the golden mask in Lara's trophy room. I think it's another Easter Egg reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Old 26-02-17, 11:37   #37
OkraBrueder
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post

I don't think that's the golden mask in Lara's trophy room. I think it's another Easter Egg reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Haha wow i always wondered about that!
Old 26-02-17, 17:01   #38
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

Yeah, it is the Golden Idol. If you played The Golden Mask, Lara just returned it to the altar in Kingdom and left without it as far as I know which shows Core Design was a big fan of Indiana Jones with quite a lot of references included in the classic Tomb Raider games.

Though what gets me how Lara scoops up some pieces of the Scion, perhaps this is what she might have found during Unfinished Business along with the cat statue I have no clue though now I think about it, Lara's Home when you play it on TR3 could be before or after TR3 if only she did not say what she does as you are leaving the mansion gates.

I wonder how she managed to store the Hand Of Rathmore also, as whenever it was in a location on The Lost Artifact, it had an awful habit of quickly spreading the mutating substance around anything it was surrounded by so her manor would be contaminated pretty fast.
Old 26-02-17, 21:10   #39
peeves
Legend

Location: Heaven with the cats and TR's 1 through 6 and the 4 classic expansions

The VCI levels are not set until 1997. The promotional trailer that says that VCI is set in 1995 is wrong. The timeline says it is set in 1997.
Old 01-03-17, 21:01   #40
frodrigues
Archaeologist

I personally don't even consider Chronicles as cannon. It was just Core Design having to put this quick thing together and using a bunch of references from previous games to create some sort of fan service in the process. Obviously, imo, that was a terrible decision for the lore, since reusing those characters came at the cost of opening holes and creating confusion over stablished happenings that didn't need any sort of expansion whatsoever.

That's why I don't ever bother trying to understand where it fits into the timeline, I don't think the developers worried about that at the time. In the end, I just see Chronicles as some sort of cute homage that has no place among the other games

Last edited by frodrigues; 01-03-17 at 21:04.
frodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote