www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 08-02-17, 03:03   #1
China Lino
Hobbyist

Default Where are the gross fleshy walls?

I miss the gross fleshy walls in Atlantis from TR1. Why aren't they in Anniversary? It took away the feeling of a creepy living volcano island. It instead turned that whole feeling into some typical American lair. I really miss little quirks like these and I wish they would add them back.
Does anyone know why these aren't in the game? Just curious.
Old 08-02-17, 10:29   #2
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by China Lino View Post
I miss the gross fleshy walls in Atlantis from TR1. Why aren't they in Anniversary? It took away the feeling of a creepy living volcano island. It instead turned that whole feeling into some typical American lair. I really miss little quirks like these and I wish they would add them back.
Does anyone know why these aren't in the game? Just curious.
The only reason I can think of is either because of the Teen rating (not being allowed to show too much gore) especially since TRA had much more realistic graphics.
OR the other reason that Crystal know all along that TRA would 'tie in' to TRU and altered the entire Atlantis style to fit in with TRU and the 'monomyth' idea?

I agree though, it sucked and looked like something out of Star Trek or some rubbish like that.
The only glimpse of TR1 style we have is the pulsating eggs the Atlantians hatch from - thats it.. you can see a few veins and stuff coming out of them attatching them to the walls.. but thats it
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 11:49   #3
Yeauxleaux
Archaeologist

As much as I love Anniversary, I think this was a problem with the whole game.

The art direction swung too far towards a "realistic" kind of look to match the better graphics, and it drained the entire game of colour. The result was really grey stone-y looking tombs which, while undoubtedly far more accurate to real life ruins, kinda looked dull on-screen.

The original had such beautiful colours, red and orange in the Peru level with lush green vegetation everywhere, and Blue tones in Egypt, and then yes the bloody flesh pits of Atlantis. It's a shame we lost that in the remake, imagine how downright gross and disturbing (I mean that in the best way possible) Atlantis would have looked having those bloody flesh-y textures, but without the hard square angles of the original. Such a wasted opportunity for some really memorable environments.

I remember being stunned by how (figuratively speaking) dark and disturbing TR1 Atlantis was. I think when a lot of people picture "Atlantis" in their heads, the image they get is a lovely blue utopian city, paradise even... TR turned that on it's head and made Atlantis horrible and it was shocking, it had such impact.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 08-02-17 at 12:00.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 13:41   #4
dinne
Explorer

LAU is more for teens, it has easier controls, linear game, easy puzzles, Lara is a little cheaper ecc. These games are "less deep", but they have a better graphic quality and a much detailed story.
In the Reboot we see some realistic gore when Lara dies, cruel animal deaths and some squishy skeletons, but we still don't see an entire environment covered of bright pulsing flesh. It's because as much you become commercial, as much you have rules to follow of course, and a fleshy environment would be, for the mass, part of a horror-gore game and not that kind of fantasy/shooter genre of the Reboot.
In the indie culture the art has more space and a gore wall would have been appeared in a "indie Anniversary", because it's not made for selling a lot. Remember that Crystal had to "save the franchise" so it's obvious that they made cheaper art, or the sold copies wouldn't have been grant if not for a (relative) niche. Look at the Core fans only, they're the most deeply passionated fanbase, even if less in number. Crystal fans aren't so fond to create all these fangame tools and funny contents and whatever, but the sold copies are great. Art is for less people that can caught details, it works in music, cinema, paintings, and ...videogames too.

Anyway, according with the last post... YES, Atlantis in TR1 is DISTURBING but I like this very much. Mummies are disturbing, and the Torso with its voices, and when it lifts the head revealing a long neck, OMG. And then the constant "silence" typical in TR1 with no background tracks, often ahah. Lights everywhere with no sources and bright colours. I like when things are not totally realistic, it gives more atmosphere, I like the "because it's the game" things. It would have been tricky and interesting to create a modernized version of Atlantis with the same mood but more realisticity, without falling in the horror/gore mood. (this was the risk that Crystal avoided, I think). Who knows, maybe someone can create a patch for it?
dinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 13:46   #5
Zelda master
Tomb Raider

In the cancelled Core Design version.
Old 09-02-17, 09:11   #6
China Lino
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinne View Post
LAU is more for teens, it has easier controls, linear game, easy puzzles, Lara is a little cheaper ecc. These games are "less deep", but they have a better graphic quality and a much detailed story.
In the Reboot we see some realistic gore when Lara dies, cruel animal deaths and some squishy skeletons, but we still don't see an entire environment covered of bright pulsing flesh. It's because as much you become commercial, as much you have rules to follow of course, and a fleshy environment would be, for the mass, part of a horror-gore game and not that kind of fantasy/shooter genre of the Reboot.
In the indie culture the art has more space and a gore wall would have been appeared in a "indie Anniversary", because it's not made for selling a lot. Remember that Crystal had to "save the franchise" so it's obvious that they made cheaper art, or the sold copies wouldn't have been grant if not for a (relative) niche. Look at the Core fans only, they're the most deeply passionated fanbase, even if less in number. Crystal fans aren't so fond to create all these fangame tools and funny contents and whatever, but the sold copies are great. Art is for less people that can caught details, it works in music, cinema, paintings, and ...videogames too.

Anyway, according with the last post... YES, Atlantis in TR1 is DISTURBING but I like this very much. Mummies are disturbing, and the Torso with its voices, and when it lifts the head revealing a long neck, OMG. And then the constant "silence" typical in TR1 with no background tracks, often ahah. Lights everywhere with no sources and bright colours. I like when things are not totally realistic, it gives more atmosphere, I like the "because it's the game" things. It would have been tricky and interesting to create a modernized version of Atlantis with the same mood but more realisticity, without falling in the horror/gore mood. (this was the risk that Crystal avoided, I think). Who knows, maybe someone can create a patch for it?
Hopefully someone will, and maybe it already exists on TRHub somewhere and I don't know about it. XP
Old 09-02-17, 09:23   #7
Ward Dragon

I made a texture mod of Anniversary with the fleshy textures from Core's AE. It's on the bottom left of the page

http://archive.tombraiderhub.com/tra...g/other04.html
Old 10-02-17, 03:55   #8
larafan25
Legend

Classic Tomb Raider had down-right freaky, amazing stuff.

Fleshy Atlantis. Floating Islands. Cray Cray mutants.

I miss that stuff.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-17, 05:12   #9
China Lino
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
I made a texture mod of Anniversary with the fleshy textures from Core's AE. It's on the bottom left of the page

http://archive.tombraiderhub.com/tra...g/other04.html
Thanks dude!
Old 10-02-17, 11:59   #10
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

The Atlantis part of Anniversary was my biggest disappointment ! And I agree about the "grey" colors !
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote