Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 11-09-17, 15:34   #9681
Zreen001

I wonder, is it possible yet to have dynamic level loading, or are levels still hardcoded to be fully loaded in before playing?
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 16:02   #9682
Dustie

The game loads up the whole thing. It was one of its selling points in its time, actually.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 16:09   #9683
Tjw croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
I wonder, is it possible yet to have dynamic level loading, or are levels still hardcoded to be fully loaded in before playing?
Wouldn't dynamically loading be more likely to cause lag in systems that aren't running better than recommended specs as the player reaches new areas? Like, I get that anything built in LE can't be THAT graphically intensive, it's not like suddenly stepping into Rise, but, I can imagine it causing issues with TRNG levels with more things to load.
Tjw croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 17:12   #9684
DunHill
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
While I'm not an expert, I'm pretty sure that this function is hardcoded into the engine.

Yet, I might have seen on teme9's youtube channel that he had found a way to do some kind of "Level of detail" effect where objects would gain more polygons when the player approaches them. And it reduced lag considerably even with loads of objects and effects on the screen.
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 19:16   #9685
Tjw croft

Thoughts on episodic releases?

Also, thoughts on switching to a different playable character for a few levels?
Old 11-09-17, 19:25   #9686
LoreRaider

^ You can use meshswap for that, the animations would be the same, since it just change lara_skin and other slots of the outfit
LoreRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-17, 20:28   #9687
Tjw croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoreRaider View Post
^ You can use meshswap for that, the animations would be the same, since it just change lara_skin and other slots of the outfit
Oh I meant a full episode of a separate character, for story purposes, kinda like Kurtis. Less on the technical side, more on the "how do people like the idea of?" side.
Old 12-09-17, 14:49   #9688
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Yet, I might have seen on teme9's youtube channel that he had found a way to do some kind of "Level of detail" effect where objects would gain more polygons when the player approaches them. And it reduced lag considerably even with loads of objects and effects on the screen.
This feature is built right into the engine, with ANIMATING objects. Each ANIMATING slot has a corresponding ANIMATING_MIP slot. The ANIMATING_MIP is meant to be a low-res/low-poly version version of its regular ANIMATING counterpart. In game, when the player is far away from the ANIMATING object, the ANIMATING_MIP will be displayed instead.

In regards to dynamic level loading, it won't happen with the TRLE or even TRNG. But it's not a big deal because there are already plenty of good ways to optimize levels. By simply making rooms smaller (no bigger than 10x10), a builder can prevent most lagging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjw croft View Post
Thoughts on episodic releases?

Also, thoughts on switching to a different playable character for a few levels?
I'm all for episodic releases, whether they be single levels or the first half of a multilevel set.

I also like the idea of other playable characters for certain levels, ala Kurtis in AOD, but only if it's done well. From a story perspective there should be a reason for this other character to be in the game, and that reason should be shown to the player in game through some kind of cutscene or dialog. Also, I think it's important for the character to have some noticeable differences from Lara. Inevitably the other character will share some of Lara's anims, but the main ones (running, walking, standing, jumping) ought to be different. A different style of gameplay would be nice too, but I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Last edited by Kapu; 12-09-17 at 15:03.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-17, 06:43   #9689
Joey79100

Started school again since Monday, and noticed something (well, someone from here) while running a program.

Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-17, 05:15   #9690
Xopax

Exclamation Thought i would get more attention asking this here

I want to extract some SFX files from TRU, i already have the .mul files extracted and tried mul2wav to convert then but for some reason it's not working.

Any help???
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote