Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 19-12-14, 16:03   #21
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3igl3oss View Post
I adjusted well to controllers with an analog stick, because I used to play PC games like Descent and Mechwarrior with a joystick and keyboard before I got the Dreamcast. Even on the Dreamcast I could play games like Deep Fighter and Starlancer and adjust to their PC versions quite easily when I purchased them later on.

The mouse and keyboard had only been used for FPS, Strategy and Adventure games, before dual analog controllers came for action/adventure and platforming titles.

In my opinion, it's still: joystick + keyboard > dual analog > mouse + keyboard.
I played Mechwarrior 2 (and the others) exclusively with the mouse and keyboard. And to this day MW2 is my all-time favorite simulation game. It worked perfectly with the mouse/keyboard combo, although my brother always used his joystick when playing it. And if you ask him he will also state that MW2 was his favorite sim of all time.

In those days one knew that you would have to learn a complicated set of control keys and coordinated key stroke systems when playing a game. The goal in those days was to make a game that felt like you were actually in control, in contrast to the games today that discarded that sense in favor of the look of the action and a kind of ersatz "feeling" of control.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 16:10   #22
l3igl3oss

Did you use the mouse for the cockpit's heading and pitch? I can imagine it working well due to the limited looking range, but a game like Descent where you can look around infinitely needs a joystick, or else it's just a game of constant mouse lifting (and I know it, because I played the Descent 2 source port).
l3igl3oss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 16:15   #23
voltz

Has anyone tried playing fighting games on a keyboard?

It sucks, I mean it really truly does. However someone on SRK awhile back came up with Hitbox which is like an arcade stick alternative that replaces the stick with the WASD setup, but W is set to the thumb for jumping. Its amazing in it's own right because of how well some commands can be pulled off in an instant.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 17:03   #24
Eddie Haskell

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3igl3oss View Post
Did you use the mouse for the cockpit's heading and pitch? I can imagine it working well due to the limited looking range, but a game like Descent where you can look around infinitely needs a joystick, or else it's just a game of constant mouse lifting (and I know it, because I played the Descent 2 source port).
I did use the mouse for just that.

No, I played Descent with the mouse and keyboard exclusively. And it worked great (and still does by the way) when playing it in DOS and a "ball" mouse on a commensurate machine, but nowadays using a modern computer and a lazer mouse it does not work well at all (I don't know exactly why). The mouse provides you with all of the 3D (six degrees of freedom) that the game offers, and i never ever had any trouble maneuvering through the game; it was in fact awesome to play! Descent is still one the greatest games ever devised.
Eddie Haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 17:18   #25
voltz

To bring up that Hitbox thing again...

Crazy.
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-14, 21:08   #26
Wooxman

I used to be a mouse and keyboard person until I was 17. Then I bought myself a gamepad since I found that the m&k controls for Tomb Raider Legend are too cumbersome. I adapted pretty fast and when I got myself an Xbox 360 I even learned to play shooters with a gamepad. And the PC version of TR2013 proofed me that a gamepad isn't a disadvantage against m&k.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 13:22   #27
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
And the PC version of TR2013 proofed me that a gamepad isn't a disadvantage against m&k.
It's been proven it is. A mouse will always be much faster and more precise than a gamepad is. That's fact. gamepads are not disadvantaged against other gamepads is what you are trying to say, no?
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 13:31   #28
Lara_Fan1

See I'm the complete opposite.

All my life I've been playing PS games so the controls are just natural to me but I've just started playing TR:LE levels and jesus, I just cannot get the hang of the controls. I mean, I know most of them but I still mess up on occasions lol.

The point I'm trying to make is, yeah it might seem scary and you probably won't know what to do with the pad but eventually you'll get used to it and before you know you'll be playing properly and not realise it.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 13:55   #29
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
See I'm the complete opposite.

All my life I've been playing PS games so the controls are just natural to me but I've just started playing TR:LE levels and jesus, I just cannot get the hang of the controls. I mean, I know most of them but I still mess up on occasions lol.
To me that's L.Ctrl for action, L.Alt for jump, Space for guns and then í (which is next to left shift) for flare, Y/Z for duck and X for sprinting. The standard setup won't even allow you to sprint and steer to the left for example, it's a mess.

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is, yeah it might seem scary and you probably won't know what to do with the pad but eventually you'll get used to it and before you know you'll be playing properly and not realise it.
I hope. The thing I can see myself getting frustrated and then just refusing to touch the thing. Which would be a horrible thing to happen, considering the machine cost a fortune to me. D:
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-14, 14:02   #30
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
To me that's L.Ctrl for action, L.Alt for jump, Space for guns and then í (which is next to left shift) for flare, Y/Z for duck and X for sprinting. The standard setup won't even allow you to sprint and steer to the left for example, it's a mess.
I know the controls I just mess up all the time. I'll run and think I press Alt but really I've pressed the windows button or I'll press the space bar!

The one the really annoys me is i'll be shooting with Ctrl and I'll want to just backwards so I'll press Alt and down. Next thing my whole screen is upside down :|! I'm slowly getting better though lol.

Quote:
I hope. The thing I can see myself getting frustrated and then just refusing to touch the thing. Which would be a horrible thing to happen, considering the machine cost a fortune to me. D:
You will learn fast enough !
An, it shouldn't. I mean I had my PS3 for about 5 years before it broke on me.
An I bought a second hand one from someone on ebay and it's still working fine a year down the line.
So with luck, yours will be fine.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote