Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-01-17, 15:38   #181
Axell

This is getting better and better!
Axell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-17, 16:27   #182
Alex Fly
Inactive

Excellent character !
Alex Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 20:37   #183
maax87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. View Post
I am so amazed about this. For people like you I don' want Crystal to retake classics, because you guys are bloody amazing.
Thank you so much! I try my best

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_De View Post
She reminds me Keira Knightley
Anyway looks great
Thanks! Haha, you're right. She's like Keira Knightley combined with Diana Scully for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axell View Post
This is getting better and better!
Thank you Axel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Fly View Post
Excellent character !
Thank you! I'll show all characters when I'll finish them.
maax87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:45   #184
tomb2player

Quote:
Originally Posted by maax87 View Post
Thank you! I'll show all characters when I'll finish them.
Why? don't reveal everything, let players explore things in game.
tomb2player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-17, 11:01   #185
Matie

Such a great looking character, well done!
Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-17, 23:05   #186
maax87

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomb2player View Post
Why? don't reveal everything, let players explore things in game.
It's not a big secret. I'll show them only from front

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
Such a great looking character, well done!
Thank you Matie!
Old 18-01-17, 12:56   #187
maax87

I've got some news!

On tombeaucroft.net you can read my latest interview about my upcoming game and some previous projects. Thank you Hedi for the interiew
tombeaucroft.net - TR:AtH Interview:

Below you can also read an english version of the interview:

Hello Max ! Thanks for having me ! First stuff, please introduce yourself !
Hello everyone. Most of people know me as Max or Maax, however my real name is Michael. I'm 29 years old and I'm graphic designer and after work I'm interested in game design and working on my latest project - Tomb Raider: Above the Horizon.
What made you want to create your own levels ?
Tomb Raider was my very first game which I've ever played. I was fascinated by the history, characters, locations and mood. Impatiently I was waiting for next games. When I discovered that Tomb Raider Chronicles will be release with official editor, then I knew that I want to create my own games. I was 12 years old back then and I've started to think about my first levels. I drew first sketches, how those levels could look like, even if I didn't know how to use editor. Step by step I've started to learn Level Editor and I was complitely fascinated by this world. Making your own games is very motivating and give you the same amount of joy as playing Tomb Raider's and even more!
How many "TRLE" have you created and finished so far ? Can you tell us your favorite ?
I've created many levels, which were never released. These were my first attempts to the editor, longer levels and shorter games, which were underdeveloped or interrupted by next projects.
My first custom or rather a level was 'Symbol of the World'. The game takes place in undergrounds of Santa Maria Novella church, which inspired me. It was the first level which I wanted to make consistently.
My next custom was the continuation of 'Symbol of the World'. It consisted of 4 levels. I've started to think about next game - Ancient Artifact. In the meantime, in team, we were working on 'Pearl of Kojada' project. Unfortunately, this game was never completed, but I learned a lot and nothing went to waste.

After that episode, I've started to work on Ancient Artifact and really wanted to make it very big custom. The game was released in 2007 and it was very well received. It motivated me to create even bigger game, with more complex story. Then I've started to work on new, Next Generation Level Editor, which give me a lot of new possibilities. I've managed to make 7 long levels, last one was made within Meta2TR technique. Creating Ancient Artifact 2 took me a total of 7 years. I think the amount of work I've put on myself a little slowed me down and creative process was a little overwhelming. Luckily, I was able to complete the game, which was released in 2015. Despite this long creative process, Ancient Artifact II is my favorite project, because it was the most conscious production, much taught me and gave me the most satisfaction.
Now tell me more about "Above the Horizon", what universe is it dealing with ?
My latest game is a combination of many things which I like and inspired me the most. Among the others I mean games that have a big impression on me, movies, stories and events. I can say that it is a tribute for those.
At the beginning I was planning to make the game in black and white, with high contrast. With time it evolves to the form which you can see on my latest gameplay. It was quite long way, I spent many time to create final look and style of the game. There were also many versions of the story and events which will happend in the game. I put great emphasis on the history, there will be plenty of
characters which are taking part in the game.

It is a big challange for me, but I really want to create living world with the history. The game represents an alternate version of the XX century with a mix of neo-noir mood. The adventure starts from events and we don't know much about it what excactly is happening. Lara was kidnapped by people from hostile organization Nova. They're trying to get from her some information about one person, which is clearly necessary for their researches. Nova is organization founded many years ago in absolute secrecy. Their sole purpose was to proclaim a new faith. They believed in technology and the existence of a higher intelligence which gave birth to our world and the human civilisation. Scientists from the organization finally found something that gave Nova deep conviction about the righteoustness of their theories and goals. The newly discovered element - Lumonium, was supposed to ensure innovation and evolution for the city. With time we start to learn about specific facts. We can read notes and letters, discover many thing about surrounding world and the history of city Metropolis, where the action takes place.
Is this project any different from your previous work ?
Yes, for sure. In this project I spent a lot of time to earlier think about most important features of the game, storyline and locations. It's really important because the game will be completely create with NGLE and Meta2TR, which means that the game will be more detailed and will have a lot of new mechanics. That's why I would like to avoid painful returns, if there will be a situation when I can't to do something or there is a need to make it in a different way. There is no time for it, because while creating with Meta, creative process takes much more time.
What have you redefined exactly ? We can see you worked on the graphics, but have you changed any of the gameplay ?
Yes. In addition to more detailed environment, gameplay will gain some new elements. Starting with Lara, she gets some new moves, like passing through gaps in the wall, climbing on vertical pipes or moving while hanging on horizontal pipes. In the game there are also new items like lock picks, lighter, which will have many uses, descrambler, which will be able to open certain doors. Lara will also have a unique energy weapon. There will be also other objects, but for that moment I will not speak.
An important change is also a shop, where for found or earned money, we will be able to buy weapons, first aid kits and other interesting items. In the game we also meet characters who will offer us a variety of tasks, for which we get rewards. One character may offer us two 'jobs', but we can choose only one of them. I would like to create that feeling, that player can go back to the game and discover something new. What's more I would like to include the bonus level after collecting three special items, as in Ancient Artifact 2. I hope that everything will work. In the game itself will be a lot of interesting events and opponents, but still the game focus on exploration and action.
How is the development going so far ?
At this moment I have completed first level called - Prologue - which is an introduction to the game and tutorial. Currently I'm working on a second level. Soon I'll finish the structure in Meta and then I will add lighting and other elements of gameplay. So, for some time, you can expect new screenshots, and perhaps even a short video. For sure I will make also a short level which is a extension of the second one. For all level, without Prologue, we can always come back.
Do you think you have an approximate release date for the game/a demo ?
Unfortunately, it is still too early to release date. I hope that the creative process will no take longer than two years. The game will be shorter than the Ancient Artifact 2, but it is necessary, at this rate and working on the more complicated project. I don't plan to make a demo, I think it is worth to wait a little longer for the finished game.

Last edited by maax87; 18-01-17 at 13:04.
Old 18-01-17, 15:34   #188
CheshireBitch

Great Interview !

I didn't know you were 29 ! This is comforting, I wish I will still be doing TRLE too when I will be 29
CheshireBitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 16:32   #189
Hedteur

Pleasure was all mine Maax
Working on this interview only made me want to play the game haha !
Hedteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 17:13   #190
Axell

Great read!
Axell is offline   Reply With Quote