Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 15-04-17, 13:45   #11
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 View Post
So...what's the point of keeping an intruder hostage instead of just killing her? Didn't they worry that she could escape and ruin their plans?...
Hey, same thing always happens in the movies, like in the Bond films , where the baddie says, "we will kill you later", giving Bond time to escape

Also, and I always cringe at this one, is horror films where someone always says "lets all split up", giving the monster/alien/slasher time to get each person/group in turn

Sometimes you just have to suspend the logic of it all, and just enjoy it
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 14:23   #12
Wooxman

The room in which they put Lara is a storage room, not a cell. Why else would there be crates and a switch that opens the door? Though they put crates in front of the switch and if you press it, the door doesn't stay open permanently, so maybe they thought that this would keep Lara from getting out.

As for why they didn't kill her: Because she's Lara freaking Croft, son! They probably know this and want to use her knowledge about ancient temples and artefacts for themselves. After all Lara was the one who found all of the prayer rolls in the monastery and opened the door to the temple complex which hold the Talion later on. We don't know if Bartoli's goons would've managed to do this by themselves.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 14:55   #13
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
I was gonna say something silly like they probably kept her as a pretty human sacrifice later since they are evil cultists, but what you said was much better.
It's not that silly actually; it could make sense!!! But, I don't think this is the point, since the one who wants to be ''sacrificed'' is Bartoli himself, in order to gain the dragon powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Hey, same thing always happens in the movies, like in the Bond films , where the baddie says, "we will kill you later", giving Bond time to escape

Also, and I always cringe at this one, is horror films where someone always says "lets all split up", giving the monster/alien/slasher time to get each person/group in turn

Sometimes you just have to suspend the logic of it all, and just enjoy it
Haha, oh yeah I know, the Clichés of all these movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
The room in which they put Lara is a storage room, not a cell. Why else would there be crates and a switch that opens the door? Though they put crates in front of the switch and if you press it, the door doesn't stay open permanently, so maybe they thought that this would keep Lara from getting out.

As for why they didn't kill her: Because she's Lara freaking Croft, son! They probably know this and want to use her knowledge about ancient temples and artefacts for themselves. After all Lara was the one who found all of the prayer rolls in the monastery and opened the door to the temple complex which hold the Talion later on. We don't know if Bartoli's goons would've managed to do this by themselves.
Now, I really like your explanation about why they decided to keep her alive But, the fact that it's a storage room with a switch, and not a cell, worsens the ''logic and realism'' factor even more for me
JohnCroft25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 15:24   #14
Wooxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 View Post
Now, I really like your explanation about why they decided to keep her alive But, the fact that it's a storage room with a switch, and not a cell, worsens the ''logic and realism'' factor even more for me
Why? I don't think that they have prison cells on an oil rig and similar to how it has been done in the submarine in Chronicles, they just improvised by putting Lara into a room with just one (normal) exit.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 16:32   #15
s2m6

From a story point of view, if they killed her, that would be the end of the game. To propel the plot forward, she needs to be taken alive
s2m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-17, 17:09   #16
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Why? I don't think that they have prison cells on an oil rig and similar to how it has been done in the submarine in Chronicles, they just improvised by putting Lara into a room with just one (normal) exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2m6 View Post
From a story point of view, if they killed her, that would be the end of the game. To propel the plot forward, she needs to be taken alive
Probably then we could control... Lara's spirit? Who goes after her murderers, in order to get revenge? (Just kidding )
Old 16-04-17, 11:24   #17
JoelCaesar

^^^ There's a theory. Lara is dead the whole time.
JoelCaesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 12:04   #18
Boobandie

It's a Bond trope. They disarmed Lara and left her in a situation from which she can escape.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-17, 14:50   #19
JohnCroft25
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelCaesar View Post
^^^ There's a theory. Lara is dead the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
It's a Bond trope. They disarmed Lara and left her in a situation from which she can escape.