Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschuuring View Post
annl, thanks for the pushing, i dont had the currage, anni glidos
Thanks!
Old 20-04-17, 16:17   #42
Famicom
Historian

I was thinking about upscaling the original textures using LeonDeka's method, but I don't know where to start. I've had a look at HD textures folder and I've seen that every texture file contains a series of different square tiles put together. For a start, I guess I'd need to extract the original texture files. I don't have a clue if they'll look anything like the HD texture packs in terms of distributions, that is, tiles and squares. My guess is they'll do, but I very much doubt if I'll be able to upscale one set of tiles at a time. Sounds like it'll have to be one single tile at a time... and then put'em all together in the same order as the originals.

Maybe my idea of upscaling original material is a waste of time, or maybe there's a small-but-noticeable improvement to the eye. Even if it's small, I really want to give it a try.

Anyhow, I'd be so grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction as regards ripping original assets and the way tile order works.
Old 20-04-17, 16:53   #43
msulak
Hobbyist

Upscaling is not only waste of time, it is also waste of space. Good results can be obtained in realtime with fragment shaders and multitexturing. But either method is nowhere close to actual HD textures. I do not like upscaled FMVs either.
msulak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 18:42   #44
Glidos
Historian

Yeah maybe not worth it given how good a job some of the artists have made in the texture packs.
Glidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 18:44   #45
Caesum
Tomb Raider

From what I remember there is an artist from TR2 TRLE remake project, who does a pretty amazing job in making HD remakes of textures. They look exactly the same as original ones, but in much higher quality.
Caesum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 19:51   #46
Phlip

When it comes to the gold reflective Lara, as an alternative to an actual reflection effect, wouldn't it be possible to have a static gold texture?
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 20:14   #47
Famicom
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidos View Post
Yeah maybe not worth it given how good a job some of the artists have made in the texture packs.
Beautiful and reasonably faithful, but still takes the original feeling away IMO.

Any tutorial on how to extract and replace textures on Tomb Raider?

Last edited by Famicom; 20-04-17 at 20:17.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-17, 12:24   #48
ANoDE
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidos View Post
I think the reflections are possible, but I'd need help. Someone would need to figure out
where in the binary the golden lara bits are being done and patch it. There's a tool called IDA Pro which can help doing that, but I don't have a copy and it costs 1000. Even with that it would be hard.

I think I can see how it could be done though. The shading of lara is calculated on the basis of vertex normals. If the binary could be patched to send those normals rather than the colours then the wrapper could do all sorts of things with them, including enviromental reflections.
Hmmm... I have no idea about the graphical stuff, but maybe some good old hacking could be done. I guess the trigger for that effect / cutscene is handled like any other trigger in the game. If one would patch the level file to assign this trigger a special and easily identifiable id, it could be possible to detect where triggers are handeled in the binary. Tracing subsequent function calls might reveal the function thats responsible for the effect. It's a long shot, but I have no other ideas for now...
Old 21-04-17, 17:35   #49
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

I miss the fact that Matt had stopped working on his newer textures for Xtra, as on the screen roll on the website they looked amazing and I really enjoyed JC's take on the textures as it gave the game a totally new atmosphere.
Old 21-04-17, 18:27   #50
jschuuring
Student

i like the hd packs, it looks mutch better, gameplay and lara are still the same,well i prefer the originel immage on things.
jschuuring is offline   Reply With Quote