www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Debate and Political Discussion

Old 20-04-17, 03:22   #31
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
I honestly don't understand why you just said that. It's like you completely disregarded earlier posts in this thread.

The point they're trying to make is, any form of surgical operation on one's genitals regardless of permission or sex IS genital modification/mutilation. Genitals should be left as they are unless there's rare, severe medical issues which one may want to have an operation on their genitals to correct the issue or the person in question consents the said operation. This is my personal opinion on the matter.

Regardless of age, any form of "circumcision" is the equivalent of genital mutilation. Please refer to the above quote for additional clarity. I can't make this more clearer unfortunately.
I'm trying to understand why some people call the act of the removal of a male's foreskin "genital mutilation". I would call that circumcision, not genital mutilation. The word "mutilation" is a very loaded word to use and if that's what you want to call it you can, but it's still just a surgery done. Whether it's done to an infant or an adult it's still just a surgery. I'm not saying it's right at all to be done, I'm wondering why the medical term isn't used more often and instead "genital mutilation" is used.

Would you rather have a doctor come in and say "Miss, you have breast cancer and we need to mutilate them as soon as possible." or would you rather have "Miss, you have breast cancer and you will need a mastectomy."

"Doctor, my wife and I already have enough kids and I don't want her to have a hysterectomy so I want a vasectomy." or "Doctor, my wife and I already have enough kids and I don't want her to have her entire uterus cut into pieces, mutilated, and removed so I want my testicles mutilated."

We have medical terms for these things as actually saying what is going on can seem gruesome and scary. I would rather have a man with phimosis to the point he has to have a circumcision know that it's not "genital mutilation" and a perfectly normal medical procedure that has to happen sometimes to men.
Old 20-04-17, 04:02   #32
Boobandie
Professor

Yeah I disagree with Gh0stblade. Mutilation is specifically a modification that is forced upon someone in a non-life threatening situation. Not something they consented to.

The surgery is circumcision. Performing it on a consenting adult is that. Forcing it on a child is mutilation.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-17, 04:07   #33
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Yeah I disagree with Gh0stblade. Mutilation is specifically a modification that is forced upon someone in a non-life threatening situation. Not something they consented to.

The surgery is circumcision. Performing it on a consenting adult is that. Forcing it on a child is mutilation.
Gotcha. I would still call it circumcision but it's really just a tomayto tomahto situation.
Old 20-04-17, 04:16   #34
Boobandie
Professor

Just calling it circumcision when performed on a minor normalises it though. That boy's father had him circumcised doesn't sound as bad as that man had his son's genitals mutilated.

Using this language when referring to it performed on a healthy minor will help re-enforce the idea that it's wrong to do that to a child.
Old 20-04-17, 04:26   #35
jackali
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
I'm trying to understand why some people call the act of the removal of a male's foreskin "genital mutilation". I would call that circumcision, not genital mutilation. The word "mutilation" is a very loaded word to use and if that's what you want to call it you can, but it's still just a surgery done. Whether it's done to an infant or an adult it's still just a surgery. I'm not saying it's right at all to be done, I'm wondering why the medical term isn't used more often and instead "genital mutilation" is used.

Would you rather have a doctor come in and say "Miss, you have breast cancer and we need to mutilate them as soon as possible." or would you rather have "Miss, you have breast cancer and you will need a mastectomy."

"Doctor, my wife and I already have enough kids and I don't want her to have a hysterectomy so I want a vasectomy." or "Doctor, my wife and I already have enough kids and I don't want her to have her entire uterus cut into pieces, mutilated, and removed so I want my testicles mutilated."

We have medical terms for these things as actually saying what is going on can seem gruesome and scary. I would rather have a man with phimosis to the point he has to have a circumcision know that it's not "genital mutilation" and a perfectly normal medical procedure that has to happen sometimes to men.
Then we should surely call a lot of what happens in regards to FGM a clitoridectomy instead of FGM.

There are still plenty of places in the world where this is a perfectly normal medical procedure.

Is that right? In my opinion, no. Does it happen? Yes.
Old 20-04-17, 21:21   #36
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
It's mutilation because it's being forced on someone without their consent.

If a grown woman elects to be circumcised for some reason, it wouldn't be referred to as female genital mutilation.

Also freedom of religion should allow you to practice your religion on yourself, not on others. Mutilating a child because of your faith should be illegal, and is in the case of girls.
Yup. If you truly support freedom of religion, you should be arguing against parents having their children's genitals mutilated for religious reasons (regardless of a child's respective sex) because it's a violation of these children's religious freedom.
Old 21-04-17, 02:52   #37
wearemany
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Male circumcision is about cleanliness and that's how it started out but since more people nowadays have access to plumbing to clean themselves daily it's not really about being clean anymore. There have been studies that show both for and against cleanliness with male circumcision.
Wait, didn't male circumcision started out because a crazy doctor decades ago concluded that by removing a boy's foreskin, it would reduce his sexual pleasure/masturbation? It's something along those lines I've heard.

The idea that an circumcised penis is more hygienic than an uncircumcised one is pretty absurd to me. This myth probably stems from the fact that a lot of intact guys usually don't pull their foreskin back to wash under it or don't even care about pulling it back when they're taking a slash so a lot of residual urine builds up under the foreskin and he ends up smelling a public toilet, so by removing the foreskin altogether, it's one less thing to worry about, therefore it's "cleaner". Poor hygiene is poor hygiene.
Old 21-04-17, 04:48   #38
Zebra
Tomb Raider

^I'm not all that familiar with the history of circumcision but AFAIK, the practice is thousands of years old and originated in hot regions (the Middle East and North Africa) at a time when hygiene wasn't at the top of many people's lists of priorities so having **** like fungi grow under there probably wasn't all that uncommon and circumcision would've been an effective way of preventing that (of course, so would've been regularly washing your genitals but back then people didn't exactly know about the science behind infections, bacteria, hygiene, etc). Nowadays, however, it makes no sense whatsoever.

I do vaguely remember reading about sth like what you mentioned in your post but I think that had to do with how circumcision ended up becoming so popular in the US, not with how it originally came about.
Old 21-04-17, 12:40   #39
Dennis's Mom

Until the exodus from Egypt, the only commandment God gave the Israelites was one to circumcise. It is a "sign of the covenant" between God and the Israelites. I've had one describe it as "writing your children into the will."

Islam also traces its origins back to Abraham through Ishmael, so this may have something to do with the practice's origins in Islam, but it is largely performed out of notions of cleanliness. Unlike Judaism, there is no scriptural requirement in the Koran to circumcise.
Old 21-04-17, 14:48   #40
Boobandie
Professor

Considering the cleanliness argument is debunked in countries where we bathe more than once every couple of months, perhaps that can be dismissed as an argument if favour of mutilating your sons against their will.