www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 11-02-18, 08:57   #9891
TR-Freak
Professor

Compared to TR <= 3, TR4 Lara is (except for her boobs) quite realistically proportioned
Old 14-02-18, 18:18   #9892
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
@Larafan: I've always thought she looked taller in TR2, also. I looked into it and I think I figured out why.

If you've ever messed with custom camera settings you'll already be familiar with this, but the camera is positioned on the Y and Z axes. TREP refers to the values as "camera distance" (y-axis) and "camera top" (z-axis). So the camera is positioned on these two axes, but it doesn't look straight ahead. Instead it's pointed at Lara's butt, aka her root mesh. Compared to TR4, the camera distance in TR2 appears to be a bit greater and the camera top smaller. Visually it gives Lara the effect of appearing more narrow, and by extension, taller. If you edit the camera values in the TRLE to mimic TR2, you get the same effect. Take a look at this comparison picture:

Left: TR2 | Center: TR4 | Right: Custom TRLE
[img/]https://i.imgur.com/379CL59.jpg[/img]

I made a GIF that cycles through the same images, but it's too big to post. Instead, here's a link. It's a much better visualization than the static comparison pic above.

So there's the difference in camera position, but I also think Lara's proportions make a difference in her perceived height too. Lara is a lot curvier in TR4, compared to her thin, boxy look in TR2. In TR4 she has thicker thighs, a round butt, a much larger bust and curvy waist. All together it makes her look shorted compared to her lean, skinny proportions in TR2.

So there's my in depth look. Hope I could add some insight!
Great post!! I didn't realize the camera is hanging a bit higher in TR4 than it does in previous TRs!!
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 04:44   #9893
Kapu
Professor

Thanks Dustie! I fooled around with camera settings for the better part of two hours, lol. I'm glad my unwarranted efforts didn't go unnoticed.

So who's playing Shadow of the Colossus on PS4?! I never played the original but I kept seeing ads for the remake everywhere online. Checked it out and knew it was a game I had to play. I'm loving it! Although controlling Agro always feels like a fight. My only complaint thus far, haha. Also, please shield my eyes from spoilers, should they come up. I have 5 more colossi to take down. Avoiding spoilers for a 10+ year old game has been difficult but I've pulled it off so far.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 05:20   #9894
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
@Larafan: I've always thought she looked taller in TR2, also. I looked into it and I think I figured out why.

If you've ever messed with custom camera settings you'll already be familiar with this, but the camera is positioned on the Y and Z axes. TREP refers to the values as "camera distance" (y-axis) and "camera top" (z-axis). So the camera is positioned on these two axes, but it doesn't look straight ahead. Instead it's pointed at Lara's butt, aka her root mesh. Compared to TR4, the camera distance in TR2 appears to be a bit greater and the camera top smaller. Visually it gives Lara the effect of appearing more narrow, and by extension, taller. If you edit the camera values in the TRLE to mimic TR2, you get the same effect. Take a look at this comparison picture:

Left: TR2 | Center: TR4 | Right: Custom TRLE
https://i.imgur.com/379CL59.jpg

I made a GIF that cycles through the same images, but it's too big to post. Instead, here's a link. It's a much better visualization than the static comparison pic above.

So there's the difference in camera position, but I also think Lara's proportions make a difference in her perceived height too. Lara is a lot curvier in TR4, compared to her thin, boxy look in TR2. In TR4 she has thicker thighs, a round butt, a much larger bust and curvy waist. All together it makes her look shorted compared to her lean, skinny proportions in TR2.

So there's my in depth look. Hope I could add some insight!
Oooh, interesting. I thought something was going on.

Here is also a comparison of TR1, TR2 & TR4 models for the sake of Lara's scale & proportions:

A gif of how they compare:

Last edited by larafan25; 18-02-18 at 05:26.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-18, 09:40   #9895
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Like I thought, TR1-3 Laras appear leaner and taller, while the TR4 Lara somehow appears to be shorter. Might be because of the change to the size/shape of her bottom and thighs and her slightly larger face.
Old 18-02-18, 14:20   #9896
tombraider1703
Archaeologist

Does anybody know these days when everything you build seems ****ty to you?
Just having a day like this and I'm getting done nothing because of it
Old 18-02-18, 14:52   #9897
larafan25
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraider1703 View Post
Stop building, and start making little sketches. Then you will feel inspired again, maybe? And the output will be more appealing.
Old 18-02-18, 15:31   #9898
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombraider1703 View Post
Keep it all and come back to it after a while. You will most likely be satisfied with it then. That's what usually happens to people who are perfectionists.
Old 18-02-18, 16:08   #9899
Caesum
Tomb Raider

To be honest the things I'm not satisfied with in Forgotten Remnants still irritate me and it was released in 2014. Can't believe it's been 4 years since I released something.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-18, 20:23   #9900
Titak

Thumbs up

Aspidetr Easter Time has started!