Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 15-02-13, 17:08   #231
Scilli

Gidierre you are awesome! Thx for answering.
Scilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-13, 20:16   #232
mimiQ

So I made a fresh 1.6 installation and used the fmv patch but the problem still occurs. It looks like this:
I start TR1 from a link on desktop and 3 windows pop up titled "Tomb Raider", "DOSBOX status window" and "DOSBOX(with icon)".
"DOSBOX status window" shows:
(Version)
(Copyright)
---
CONFIG:loading primary settings from config file dosbox.conf
MIDI:Opened device: win32
GLIDE:LFB access: read-write
DOS keyboard layout load with main language code PL for layout pl
SHELL:Redirect output to cdrom.txt

After that only "Tomb Raider" windows stays open with a flickering "_" sign...and thats it.
It seems he doesnt see the CD? I have used the CD image provided and its on virtual F drive, and I disabled my CDrom with E drive.

I tried to run TR1 with sound for 4 days now and I am starting to give up
It ran with SVN-DOSBOX+nGlide but still cant make the sound there to work.
Any help appreciated
mimiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 00:58   #233
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiQ View Post
I have used the CD image provided and its on virtual F drive, and I disabled my CDrom with E drive.
this doesn't look good

you should have one cdrom.txt created by the install script, supposedly in c:\tombraider or wherever
can you post the contents of this small txt file? or is it empty or non-existent?

EDIT
virtual f: and disabled e:
how do you mount that f: drive anyway? in windows beforehand? using what virtualization software? and what's with the real deal (cdrom)? now what becomes of it? for that's what the installer goes after in the first place.

the problem w/SVN dosbox sound not working (nGlide's just another glide wrapper so it has nothing to do w/sound issues)
you mean sound as in gunshots, footsteps and stuff (soundcard emulation, native in dosbox)
or as in tunes & ambient music (cd audio tracks)?
I bet it's the latter, which in turn would be understandable inasmuch as related to the above cdrom.txt question.
I'm beginning to make me a vague idea of what might be going wrong, like too many spiraling virtualization layers spinning out unawares are involved here, but I'd really need more info.

Last edited by gidierre; 16-02-13 at 02:08.
gidierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-13, 18:31   #234
mimiQ

After using the 1.6 installer I mount the image using DTLite and it creates virtual F: drive. Used the same method on my laptop without CD drive and it works fine there.

If it comes to SVN Dosbox I cant get the cd audio tracks to work. Tried to burn a mixed mode CD with PSX audio but with no positive effect.

I am currently away and will be able to post the cdrom.txt info tommorow.
Old 17-02-13, 20:49   #235
mimiQ

Well managed to find the answer to my problem...
Just had to start TR1 as an administrator
Sounds+video work all good. Thanks for the help anyway, now Ill try to get the max resolution I can to increase the amount of fun Im gonna get Oh joy
Old 23-02-13, 20:54   #236
Dustie

Just tried it and it's working fine, but I have one question: is there a way to adjust graphic settings for the ngVoodoo wrapper in the package? The default installation runs fine, but the graphics are washed out... way too bright. Any settings I could change, like gamma or brightness, to counter that?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 21:05   #237
CrisGer

Finally got this all set up and running and it is wondeful to finally see it all in action. thanks so much Master G, we owe you a great thanks and appreciation. and I am sure Lara appreciates being able to live these parts of her life again with each of us. thanks again.

And i keep wanting to pull that apple off of your face..i hope you are enjoying it, i may try to digitaly paint an imagined image of you holding the apple in stead
CrisGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-13, 23:25   #238
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I have one question: is there a way to adjust graphic settings for the ngVoodoo wrapper in the package? The default installation runs fine, but the graphics are washed out... way too bright. Any settings I could change, like gamma or brightness, to counter that?
wait a minute
dgvoodoo's the glide wrapper the other installer is built upon vs. the one that's discussed in this thread, ok?
(for that, 32bit only, there's always dgvoodoosetup.exe in \tombraid to run who will let one adjust gamma values just fine)
but as for the dosbox based thing I'm sorry there's no fixing any gamma value iow afaik you'd have to resort to adjusting your monitor's outright settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
Master G, we owe you a great thanks
Master G? LOL no way, it also took many other people's work (and all fellas brighter than me) to take advantage of to make that, which I dutifully never forget to mention as it's only fair for me to do
anyway you know my first name, so instead of Master G well I guess I could settle for Geer Groote
if that's not being modest...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisGer View Post
And i keep wanting to pull that apple off of your face..
now that's really flattering for me to hear that from a painter like you
but I'd rather.. you know Bartleby's catchphrase (no coincidence if before pilfering a word by Mr. de la Rochefoucauld my signature once used to read: “Ah Bartleby! Ah Humanity!”--otoh aren't we all Melvillean in the end/beginning?)

let's just leave Magritte's apple where it belongs lest the Great René get enraged

Last edited by gidierre; 23-02-13 at 23:37.
Old 24-02-13, 10:17   #239
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
wait a minute
dgvoodoo's the glide wrapper the other installer is built upon vs. the one that's discussed in this thread, ok?
(for that, 32bit only, there's always dgvoodoosetup.exe in \tombraid to run who will let one adjust gamma values just fine)
but as for the dosbox based thing I'm sorry there's no fixing any gamma value iow afaik you'd have to resort to adjusting your monitor's outright settings
My mistake, I confused sections on the Tomb Raider HUB website regarding the installer. So the Vista/7/64bit version runs on Glidos and DosBox, and there really is no way to configure Glidos in this? I know the conf files contain configuration for DosBox and you can set up output renderer as ddraw, direct3d, opengl, etc... would changing any of these have any effect? I'm running on nVidia card and there doesn't seem to be any options in the control panel to adjust graphics in OpenGL apps specifically... I remember back in the day the 3DFX Voodoo cards would also give this slightly washed/milky graphics (although not as much), so I'm guessing this behaviour today is a remnant of that.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-13, 10:28   #240
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
So the Vista/7/64bit version runs on Glidos and DosBox, and there really is no way to configure Glidos in this? I know the conf files contain configuration for DosBox and you can set up output renderer as ddraw, direct3d, opengl, etc... would changing any of these have any effect?
it's not Glidos by P. Gardiner, it's its tantamount Glide patch by gulikoza
and there's nothing afaik in those .conf or .ini settings to edit, including the renderer
you can try ddraw etc. but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually were going to mess it all up for the worse.