www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 13-09-17, 11:51   #61
Chamayoo
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
It's actually pretty normal. The Quake and Unreal engines were heavily modified later on and still see widespread use, especially the Unreal engine.

There's an interesting article about game engines on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_engine
It also has a graph about how the id Tech engine evolved and got used in other games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Q...Simplified.svg
I also found this graph, which is a bit more detailed: https://imgur.com/nr51gY1

And keep in mind that Quake was released in 1996 and Unreal in 1998.

And here's an article about First Person Shooter engines, since a lot of the more "mainstream" engines originate from this genre: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-...shooter_engine
Thanks !
Hard to not get lost about all of that but it's really interesting. I see some games are cousins and cousins of lot of other games.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-17, 12:21   #62
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Are you sure?
Isnt LOK running on the Gex Engine?
Or is that some branch of the same Engine?

When it comes to the Crystal Dynamics games i get really conflicting answers on this topic.
I know that some games have different graphic engines and game engines.
(I know for example that the wwe games have at least a 10 year old basic engine but they got a new graphics engine this year.)
Seems like they have the lid on their video game engine and dont let people look too deep into it.

Very confusing from my end here.
It's very well known that at least LoK and TR from Legend onwards share the same engine. And someone mentioned that the Crystal engine dates back to Gex. Of course they always expanded on it, but the core engine is still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Thanks !
Hard to not get lost about all of that but it's really interesting. I see some games are cousins and cousins of lot of other games.
You're welcome. Yup, when you trace everything back, then there's actually only a handful of game engines.
Old 13-09-17, 12:29   #63
Mani_Man
Explorer

Quote:
It's very well known that at least LoK and TR from Legend onwards share the same engine. And someone mentioned that the Crystal engine dates back to Gex. Of course they always expanded on it, but the core engine is still the same.
Hm, really interesting thanks.
All this Engine talk is so interesting, i wish i would have the time to really get into all the details etc.
From what i gather you can work with a Basic Engine for more than 10 years without problems...thats pretty cool.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-17, 19:29   #64
Denis
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
Hm, really interesting thanks.
All this Engine talk is so interesting, i wish i would have the time to really get into all the details etc.
From what i gather you can work with a Basic Engine for more than 10 years without problems...thats pretty cool.
Well CD used the same engine for TR 2013 as well. It was an upgraded version of underworld engine, or legends if we consider its roots. However nothing is wrong when using the same engine, just as long as it's done right.

Not the case with underworld as they messed lara. Yeah she was better appearance wise but details were missing. Like the ponytail hair stands it was supposed to be and her cute face.
Underworld lara in beta looked better. Less beautiful face but way more realistic, hair stands in ponytail etc.
Old 14-09-17, 12:37   #65
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Well CD used the same engine for TR 2013 as well. It was an upgraded version of underworld engine, or legends if we consider its roots. However nothing is wrong when using the same engine, just as long as it's done right.

Not the case with underworld as they messed lara. Yeah she was better appearance wise but details were missing. Like the ponytail hair stands it was supposed to be and her cute face.
Underworld lara in beta looked better. Less beautiful face but way more realistic, hair stands in ponytail etc.
That probably didn't have too much to do with the engine. Those were either art/design decisions or technical limitations.
Old 15-09-17, 07:33   #66
Boobandie
Professor

Yeah one of the artists said that they tried to get Lara's hair to work in individual strands (as per the early screenshots) but there wasn't enough time to get it to look good so they had to glue them all together.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-17, 07:55   #67
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Ironically early footage of TR2013 looks like they tried it again and it still didn't work. The 360 version of RotTR has individual strands, though, right?
Old 16-09-17, 15:46   #68
Heartache
Archaeologist

i dont get how they never got it to work tressfx besides. they tried it for so many years and it never ever looked decent

i've recently watched a few clips of the new uncharted game and i have to say that chloe's hair looks so damn realistic. it looks better than lara's hair looking at realism alone and cd even have a tech only for that aspect.

though im one of the few that still likes the more dramatic moving hair of lara, even if its less realistic.
Old 16-09-17, 16:00   #69
Wooxman
Relic Hunter

Drakan: The Ancients' Gates, an early PS2 title, has better looking hair than the 7th gen TR games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeqqjgE-C4
Old 17-09-17, 01:07   #70
Costel
Student

Quote:
Drakan: The Ancients' Gates, an early PS2 title, has better looking hair than the 7th gen TR games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjeqqjgE-C4

You are funny but NO!