Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 24-01-18, 14:47   #1
LateRaider
Inactive

Default Tomb Raider IV: Patched Engine + Holster Fixes

Hi everyone!

So, I was playing TR:TLR with PhantomPain's mod that fixes the Uzis and Revolver disappearing when they're holstered. I thought it also included the fixes in mizuno_suisei's Patched Tomb Raider IV Engine. Turns out... that's not the case.

What was I to do? At frst, I thought I'd bring mizuno_suisei's upgrades to PhantomPain's mod. But due to unforeseen errors, I wound up doing the opposite, which preserves tomb4.EXE's original file size of 772 KB.

I now present the mod Tomb Raider IV: Simple Improvement v1.3.

There are two revisions of this mod. Please read the following carefully.

In Tomb of Semerkhet, if you lose Senet--which is required to get all Secrets--you'll have to do a timed puzzle to get the Ra Cartouche, where you have to shut off some burners and race to the other side of the room, climb up a pole, and push a Senet piece onto a block to be destroyed by some hammers.

However, with the Grenade bug fixed, an invisible wall appears, preventing Lara from pushing the Senet piece onto the hammer block. In essence, you're rendered unable to continue the game.

If you do want all Secrets or think you might lose Senet, use v1.3a No Grenade Fix.

If you do not care about Secrets or plan to win Senet, use v1.3b Yes Grenade Fix.

Here's what this mod does overall:
  • Dead enemies no longer fade away when killed. (mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • Lara no longer turns transparent when Looking. (mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • The camera doesn't pan up when Lara draws weapons. (mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • The short pause between grabbing an edge and climbing up is removed. (mizuno_suisei)
  • (v1.3b only; causes bug in Tomb of Semerkhet) Lara is now hurt by Grenades--her own and enemies'--and gets set on fire when she dies. (mizuno_suisei)
  • The Uzis and Revolver no longer disappear when holstered. (PhantomPain)
  • When shooting a jackal or mummy that's lying down with explosive ammo, the game will no longer crash. (Paolone)

I only take credit for combining the quick climb tweak and Grenade bug fix into PhantomPain's original mod. Suikaze Raider also provided the bytes to fix the "exploding sleeping mummy/jackal" bug.

Previous saves will be compatible with this mod and future updates of it.

Consider combining this mod with Sardoc's Giza levels "in-hand torch" animation fix, which is also compatible with previous saves.

Enjoy and be kind!

Note: I am not incorporating mizuno_suisei's 60 FPS mod. Do not ask.

Last edited by LateRaider; 16-03-18 at 19:28. Reason: v1.3a/v1.3b are out
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-18, 15:45   #2
laravision

Nice work, well done!

It's unfortunate that this combined patch is incompatible with Chug a bugs flight tool due to the size of the executable (1.25MB rather than 772KB), but regardless, it's a nice addition.
laravision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-18, 01:19   #3
LateRaider
Inactive

Yes, it seems as though mizuno_suisei expanded the EXE so they could put in all of their upgrades. It's a bit unfortunate, but thankfully we have preserved their legacy by combining the two EXEs into one.
Old 25-01-18, 17:08   #4
JOHN30011887

Awesome, thanks for this patch/mod
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-18, 01:08   #5
Sardoc

Is there a way to choose which features I'd like? I certainly want proper uzi and revolver holsters, enemies not disappearing and removed pause before climbing up, but don't want Lara to be hurt by her own grenades.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-18, 01:49   #6
LateRaider
Inactive

I just looked, and it seems mizuno_suisei's exe is different from the standard tomb4.exe. I tried to "break" it by reversing the repair process Suikaze Raider showed me... but I'm absolutely stumped. I can't find the relevant bytes. Sorry.
Old 28-01-18, 21:58   #7
RaiderJones

Long time lurker here, I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions about your mod. First, is it based on the improved strap mod or just the basic one? Second, if it's incompatible with the flight hack is it also incompatible with TREP2, TRNG or the mod launcher? Lastly is it compatible with (or even relevant to) the times level (or maybe even Chronicles)?

This looks like a nice community, thanks for letting me join.
RaiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-18, 10:20   #8
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderJones View Post
First, is it based on the improved strap mod or just the basic one? Second, if it's incompatible with the flight hack is it also incompatible with TREP2, TRNG or the mod launcher? Lastly is it compatible with (or even relevant to) the times level (or maybe even Chronicles)?

This looks like a nice community, thanks for letting me join.
1. The leg holster strap mod is a separate mod that adds straps to Lara's legs individually in all the level files. I don't use it personally because, even in the "improved" mod, enemies have a tendency to slide across the ground of a level when they die. But they're compatible, since they target the level files, and this targets the EXE.

2. I honestly don't know anything about it. But if laravision says the flight mod needs a specific EXE size to work, I trust them. Therefore, it stands to reason that if TREP2, TRNG, or the mod launcher require a specific tomb4.exe size, it might not work.

3. This mod is not compatible with The Times: Exclusive Tomb Raider Level, but Sardoc and Suikaze Raider have separate mods to fix up bugs in those games. I can shoot them your way if you would like. Tomb Raider: Chronicles currently has no mods for it, despite very badly needing some bug fixes. This is due to A. Lack of interest in the game and B. More importantly, the level structure of TR:C makes it really hard to edit without something further in the game messing up.

Thank you for your interest in this mod.

Last edited by LateRaider; 29-01-18 at 10:26.
Old 30-01-18, 02:28   #9
RaiderJones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider View Post
1. The leg holster strap mod is a separate mod that adds straps to Lara's legs individually in all the level files. I don't use it personally because, even in the "improved" mod, enemies have a tendency to slide across the ground of a level when they die. But they're compatible, since they target the level files, and this targets the EXE.
I used it once before and I don't recall sliding enemies, regardless I probably wont use it now since the Giza torch fix feels more important and I don't know how to merge the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateRaider
2. I honestly don't know anything about it. But if laravision says the flight mod needs a specific EXE size to work, I trust them. Therefore, it stands to reason that if TREP2, TRNG, or the mod launcher require a specific tomb4.exe size, it might not work.
Suppose I'll have to test It my self and report back.

Quote:
3. This mod is not compatible with The Times: Exclusive Tomb Raider Level, but Sardoc and Suikaze Raider have separate mods to fix up bugs in those games. I can shoot them your way if you would like. Tomb Raider: Chronicles currently has no mods for it, despite very badly needing some bug fixes. This is due to A. Lack of interest in the game and B. More importantly, the level structure of TR:C makes it really hard to edit without something further in the game messing up.
Thanks for referring me to the times fix, I am curious though as to weather the times level or Chronicles already has the miscellaneous features of your mod (no transparent Lara, no disappearing bodies) as it's been a while since I've played either. Or if it's possible to implement them since, from my understanding, Chronicles runs the same engine.

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in this mod.
No, thank you for creating the mod. I only wish there were more just like it for other games.

BTW, probably a stupid question but why aren't you supporting the 60 fps patch? Never tried it but if you strongly oppose it I have to assume it likely has the same issues as other games that are designed for 30 fps and are forced to run 60: broken physics, screwed event timing and animation glitches.

Last edited by RaiderJones; 30-01-18 at 02:30.
RaiderJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-18, 11:47   #10
archfiend

It’s a great idea to merge these fixes together. Thank you for this great fix. I’ll definitely give it a try.
archfiend is offline   Reply With Quote