Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 08-05-20, 20:16   #1
_Seth

Default Last Revelation UNappreciation Thread

I'm not just trying to continue the trend of similar threads, I genuinely really hate Last Revelation. XD It's the only Core Design Tomb Raider I do not enjoy at all, but it gets so much love from the fanbase! TR3 is definitely the better of the "hard classics."

Here's why I hate Last Revelation:

• Crawlspaces here... crawlspaces there... crawlspaces EVERYWHERE! Often they're ones you need to jump up into and one block deep, where you have to slowwwlllyyyy turn around 180 degrees and slowly drop out. Special call out to the two side-by-side crawl spaces in the lower levels between Coastal Ruins and Catacombs. If only it had the forward vault out move.
  • Mazes galore: The Mastabas featuring a boring labyrinth of underground corridors, then the guesswork of the Underneath the Sphinx underwater multi-tiered maze with randomly placed levers and trapdoors, then another tedious maze inside one of Khufu's Queen's Pyramids. None of this is fun. There's no sense of accomplishment when you finish them because it's just aimless wondering until you reach the end, so you're just annoyed that you had to do it.
  • Unnecessarily ambiguous level design in Cairo - going in and out of the trenches crawling through ugly dark crawspaces to prize off an inconspicuous metal pipe and using a torch to set off a fire alarm sprinkler! It's ridiculous and stupidly obscore level/puzzle design.
  • The bike with it's bulky sidecar! Heaven help you if you get stuck in a corner and have to sit there for 5 straight minutes holding Backwards as Lara slowwwwllllyy shuffles backwards.
  • Lara's revolting ingame and FMV model equally being even more hideous than Underworld Lara, and that's saying something!
  • Hubs: I prefer each level being it's own multi-layered "world" unto itself. Backtracking in and out of different levels is taking complexity a bit too far, IMO. I get they wanted to evolve the gameplay and that most fans loved this, but I just didn't.
  • Fly-bys when you enter a new room. --No thanks, it should be my experience, not Lara's! Taking control away from me removes immersion, especially because it's unskippable.
  • Fixed unbreakable camera angles galore! Before, we could press Look to break them, but now it's removed!
  • Rope swinging.
  • Ammo counter removed?!!
  • Overly dark on PS1, nearly comparable to TR3.
  • Replay level function removed.
  • The ugly green atmosphere in Cairo.
  • Skeletons - does anyone actually bother to tediously coax them near a ledge and shotgun them off? I just use explosives instead.
  • The iron man and his iron horse. Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

Last edited by _Seth; 09-05-20 at 11:59.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 20:28   #2
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Last Revelation UNappreciation Thread.
Weren't you the person who did a Limited Ammo Playthrough for Last Revelation? If so, then why did you commit yourself to a Playthrough for a game which you seem to have a negative opinion on?

Going by first Playthroughs, I'd have to say that Last Revelation is my favourite TR game. Going by repeated Playthroughs, I'd have to say that Last Revelation is my 3rd favourite, with TR3 being my favourite and TR2 being my 2nd favourite.

Last Revelation's storyline really hooked me to the game and my opinion on the gameplay is high overall. I did find that the game did drag on a bit and become repetitive, which was a shame for me as I really admired the game up until this. My second Playthrough of this game really wasn't the same; the storyline couldn't have the same affect on me as I already knew what was going to happen. So that pretty much just left the gameplay, which I thought was good but not as good as TR3 and TR2.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 20:32   #3
_Seth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Weren't you the person who did a Limited Ammo Playthrough for Last Revelation? If so, then why did you commit yourself to a Playthrough for a game which you seem to have a negative opinion on?
It was an experiment which I figured would be easiest achieved on TR4. It's also doable on most other classics.
_Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 20:43   #4
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
It was an experiment which I figured would be easiest achieved on TR4. It's also doable on most other classics.
Considering that most enemies don't need to be killed, I would imagine that a Limited Ammo Playthrough would indeed be doable in most cases. I suspect that TR2's Offshore Rig might be a problem as you have to kill the gunman at the beginning and I believe that you only have access to the pistols at that time. This probably isn't the sort of Playthrough that I would try myself, but that's just personal preference.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 22:01   #5
Chamayoo

Stop creating hating threads about some of my top 5 favourite games.

I agree with some of your points, even if the majority of them don't bother me that much. I never noticed they forgot about the ammos counter though !
I especially agree about the rope swinging. The concept in itself is always fun video games, but this wasn't right. Soooo tedious. Nice first try I must say, I wonder if before 1999 there were other 3D games with rope swinging ?
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 22:59   #6
Patrick star

Tomb Raider 4 is the absolute best TR game ever created , imo .

Quote:
[*]Crawlspaces here... crawlspaces there... crawlspaces EVERYWHERE! Often they're ones you need to jump up into and one block deep, where you have to slowwwlllyyyy turn around 180 degrees and slowly drop out. Special call out to the two side-by-side crawl spaces in the lower levels between Coastal Ruins and Catacombs. If only it had the forward vault out move.
Crawl spaces are annoying in both TR4 and TR3 because of the lack of Chronicles' vault out animation .

But It wasn't something that made me pull my hair out .

Quote:
[*]Mazes galore: The Mastabas featuring a boring labyrinth of underground corridors, then the guesswork of the Underneath the Sphinx underwater multi-tiered maze with randomly placed levers and trapdoors, then another tedious maze inside one of Khufu's Queen's Pyramids. None of this is fun. There's no sense of accomplishment when you finish them because it's just aimless wondering until you reach the end, so you're just annoyed that you had to do it.
I hate mazes as well and I agree with you on the ones in UTS and KQP , but I wouldn't consider The Mastbas "maze-y" per se , it's just a slightly complex set of underground tunnels , but one that you can easily memorize or use tactics navigating it . Still , 3 mazes positioned close to each other in the last section of such a long game doesn't make it a "maze galore".

How about TR3's three infuriating and obnoxious mazes ? (Lud's Gate underwater one , the whole Caves of Kaliya level , the one in Tinnos) ?

Quote:
[*]Unnecessarily ambiguous level design in Cairo - going in and out of the trenches crawling through ugly dark crawspaces to prize off an inconspicuous metal pipe and using a torch to set off a fire alarm sprinkler! It's ridiculous and stupidly obscore level/puzzle design.
Faaar away from TR3's level . Here's a coin , try to guess were you should insert it when all places for that look exactly like each other just to get a ticket to use it in the most illogical place ever , one where Lara can easily vault upon

Quote:
[*]The bike with it's bulky sidecar! Heaven help you if you get stuck in a corner and have to sit there for 5 straight minutes holding Backwards as Lara slowwwwllllyy shuffles backwards.
This was annoying I agree , but the Kayak wasn't much better...right ?

Quote:
[*]Lara's revolting ingame and FMV model equally being even more hideous than Underworld Lara, and that's saying something!
I think that's something all TR fans can agree on .
Quote:
[*]Hubs: I prefer each level being it's own multi-layered "world" unto itself. Backtracking in and out of different levels is taking complexity a bit too far, IMO. I get they wanted to evolve the gameplay and that most fans loved this, but I just didn't.
Fair enough , but I just loved the new interconnected hub system . It's one of my favourite aspects of TR4 , was the perfect time to shake up the obsolete formula of standalone levels .

Quote:
[*]Fly-bys when you enter a new room. --No thanks, it should be my experience, not Lara's! Taking control away from me removes immersion, especially because it's unskippable.
Didn't mind them at all . Some of them were fabulous with the presentation and the accompanying music (cue the one at the beginning of Coastal Ruins outdoor area).

Quote:
[*]Fixed unbreakable camera angles galore! Before, we could press Look to break them, but now it's removed! [*]Rope swinging.[*]Ammo counter removed?!![*]Replay level function removed.
Meh .

Quote:
[*]Overly dark on PS1, nearly comparable to TR3.
Thank god for being a PC gamer .

Quote:
[*]The ugly green atmosphere in Cairo.
I adore Cairo's bleak and foreboding atmosphere . Y'know , it's a bloody apocalypse , things aren't going be sunshine and roses and rainbows .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 23:53   #7
Yeauxleaux

I liked that one little cutscene with Werner's sassy "AFTER HA!", but yeah as a rule I don't like fly-by cutscenes and mini cutscenes. That's one major pet-peeve I have about the reboot games and a lot of contemporary games, they can't let you play more than 10 ****ing seconds without stopping you to advance the plot somehow.

I liked the interconnected level sections, but I don't get why they needed to do it like that. On one hand I think well maybe they wanted much bigger, grander scale levels, but then in some parts like Karnak all they did was connect 3 rather small levels that even combined were probably smaller than some of TR2's, TR3's and even some of TR1's. I don't understand...

Consider how HUGE the Tibetan Foothills level was in TR2, why was it even necessary to split those levels up?

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 09-05-20 at 02:11.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 23:54   #8
Caesum

Well at least it has tombs. Can't say the same about TR2 or 3 lmao.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:09   #9
Girafarig32

These are mostly nitpicky...
  • Crawling seemed a bit overdone in this game and really brought out how annoying it can be.
  • The hitboxes for the skeleton heads were really awful.
  • Those floaty spirit enemies were annoying and a bit overused.
  • Too many medpacks.
  • They emphasized her breasts and seemed to make her waistline even smaller, both in FMV and in-game.
  • While FMV graphics looked way better than TR3, character movement was ridiculous. Just look at the FMV where Lara talks to Jean Yves....
  • In-game cutscenes seemed shaky. Look at the cutscene where Lara talks to the guy who runs the truck into the monster.
  • Rope swinging, where Lara blasts off in one go and almost always misses the target.
  • Invincible enemies like beetle being overused. And even more annoying-- bats that spawn in the most inconvenient of times.
  • The broken puzzle in the hub underneath the sphinx.
  • This stems from TR3, but UZIs are basically useless.
  • Lack of consistency between FMV environments and those in-game.
  • Didn't understand how at the end Von Croy was nice to Lara when he spent much of Lara's adult life loathing her. Hell, he even trapped her in Semerkhet after sending ninja dudes to kill her.
Girafarig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-20, 06:36   #10
Avalon SARL

I enjoy TR4 for everything yo have listed and didn't enjoy.

TR4 punishes you well; yes for backtracking; yes for gloomy and dark atmosphere; yes for mazes.

Actually you need to focus and have strong memory; it makes you lost and confused and that is why it is not for everybody.

Better than todays games where Lara gets into a new cave or tomb which no one has ever discovered, not even her knows it, and she just tells you: I have to do so and so

I want more games like this and even to be harder.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote