Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 19-06-06, 13:19   #21
Natla'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider Jay

Eidos said they asked the fans what they wanted for TR Legend, sorry but what fan in there right mind would say 'Oh I want TR to be easy and short' - no-one!

And the message they did get from fans was 'make it like Prince of Persia' ?
Who the heck said that? - because as a result any creative and more importantly old stayle TR gameplay was lost when that was said
Yeah, you do wonder who these "Tomb Raider" fans are, don't you? I think they just combined what Toby Gard wanted (who is ONE MAN - and it took about 6 to make the original TR, didn't it?) with the views of the first video gamer they could lay their hands on in the street. "Tomb Raider? Oh, you mean Angelina Jolie? Yeah, I tried playing the game because the movie was kinda cool, but it was too hard, and I couldn't get the nude cheat to work so I went back to gunning down policemen and hiring prostitutes in GTA."

Last edited by Natla'd; 19-06-06 at 13:21.
Natla'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:28   #22
Laras Backpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natla'd
Yeah, you do wonder who these "Tomb Raider" fans are, don't you? I think they just combined what Toby Gard wanted (who is ONE MAN - and it took about 6 to make the original TR, didn't it?) with the views of the first video gamer they could lay their hands on in the street. "Tomb Raider? Oh, you mean Angelina Jolie? Yeah, I tried playing the game because the movie was kinda cool, but it was too hard, and I couldn't get the nude cheat to work so I went back to gunning down policemen and hiring prostitutes in GTA."

Also: Word Jamie_18!!

As for me, though I thought Legend was seriously lacking, I am positive about TR:AE. I'm very glad the project is going ahead!
Laras Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:43   #23
nickp364

Quote:
Originally Posted by interstellardave
LOL, Tomb Raider Jay!

I think what happened was this:

A lot of people said that Tomb Raider games were too hard (a popular opinion even with some fans).

People said the controls were bad (after AOD this was a fact even to a lot of die hard fans, although we all were used to the previous ones).

EIDOS also couldn't ignore the fact that the games were selling less and less and were meeting with less and less critical sucess too. They also had a new group of fans that could be catered to (fans of the movies).

So what this all boiled down to was "make us a game that appeals to game and movie fans alike that has good controls and is easy enough for anyone to be able to play." It was the lowest-common denominator. CD tried to get innovative but within the narrow context given them it seemed to water down even those efforts. They did make a game that sold very well and that a lot of people liked, but that many die-hard fans do not love, and that's the major problem. It's the game equivalent to pretty-faced bubble-gum pop, not artistic music!
True. Hope Eidos just lets Crystal do their own work in the next one.
Anyway, I am so excited for the remake. Hope Crystal proves themselves.
nickp364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:45   #24
VonCroy360

I can't wait for the remkae...
I don't care if it's made by Core or Crystal D, it's Tomb Raider (classic), and it's going to be amazing...
VonCroy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:50   #25
Brother Rumblebottoms

I don't care either me just wants to play play play lol

So I am quite excited yes!! And the news of the re-make has even sparked my older brother's interest again, after all these years (he lost interest in Tomb Raider after playing TR 1 and 2 and he has some very fond memories playing TR 1) .

So bring it on
Brother Rumblebottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:50   #26
Lenochka
Golden

what a nice way to start tension in the first 5 posts in a thread that is suppose to be all nice hehe

annnyways i guess im alittle excited. not looking forward to a HUGE game because if its like legend or the old TR it wont be a big suprise since i played both and know how it feels to play. Still gonna be fun ^^
Lenochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 13:50   #27
tomblover

Talking

I'm so freaking excited about the remake as I've tried to install the original sold out version of TR and trying to make it work perfectly, wich didn't work! So now I will be able to play the original with better graphics!!!!!!!
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 14:15   #28
Tomb Raider Jay
Inactive

Lightbulb

I think Crystal/Eidos took WAY too much inspiration from the TR movies for Legend

But the sad thing about Legend is that it was Crystal's time to shine, to show what a Tomb Raider game could be without a clunky engine and controls that crippled the players hands. I think, although Crystal have improved the control system for Tomb Raider they really haven't done much else, sadly

Everything else in Legend was done before in Prince of Persia and you know what - it was done a whole lot better!

But that's the thing, TR has to change to keep up with todays market but copying PoP is not the right answer!

I find it very strange that 10 years on Tomb Raider is really still the best game in this series. Legend was supposed to be the 'sequel' to the original Tomb Raider and yet none of the magic or imagination from that wonderful TR went into Legend, how very sad indeed

But Legend on it's own is a good game however IMO as a Tomb Raider game it fails on that very thing - actually being Tomb Raider

Anyway enough history, the re-make should be great and I am looking forward to that and where Crystal will take Tomb Raider next!
Tomb Raider Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 14:37   #29
RAID

I want a remake. To be honest, I'm glad it's CD. I've seen the way Lara moves in Core's trailer, and it's outdated.

so 2 for CD
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-06, 14:37   #30
thevman

Good points guys, especially interstellardave and Tomb Raider Jay! (you too natla'd)

OK, CD, make the remake and rock our world!!!!
thevman is offline   Reply With Quote