www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 31-03-16, 12:38   #41
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Does anyone else have anything to add, or are we pretty much agreed across all this now?
Old 28-07-18, 00:13   #42
Abdu
Hobbyist

Interesting thread. I didn't know that AoD is that better on the PS2.

But I'm sure the PC version runs better thanks to modern PCs. 4K or higher, 60fps. And let's not forget that PC have emulators! I have play the PS2 version on my PC!

Tomb Raider 2013 is 100% better on PC. Better graphics, high res and fps.
Abdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 00:52   #43
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

I've said this before, but tbh I wish they'd re-master the classic 5 games for the Playstation with some of the better aspects of the PC version. Namely, the following;

- Make the graphics at least as good as they look on PC, if not better (just keep the larger health/breath bars)
- Remove the stupid save system from TRs 1 and 3, replacing it with the manual save available in the rest
- Speed up the controller responsiveness/animations in TR1 so it plays smoother, up to the speed of TR2-5.
- Add in the bonus levels from Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and Lost Artefact for the first 3 games.

If they did this I'd be so happy.
Old 28-07-18, 03:07   #44
Zael
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
[...]
- Speed up the controller responsiveness/animations in TR1 so it plays smoother, up to the speed of TR2-5.
[...]
In case folks are not familiar with this issue, I can link to additional discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by laravision View Post
In regards to the speed of the PlayStation version of TR1, note that if you're in a PAL territory, the game will run around 17% slower than the NTSC version. This is also the case with the digital versions sold on the PS store in PAL territories, which is most unwelcome. Some more info on the topic: Link
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 03:10   #45
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

No matter what version youíre playing, TR1 is naturally just slightly less responsive than all the other classics.

When you run and jump, she jumps a moment after you press it, while in TR2-5, she does it as soon as you press he jump button.
Old 28-07-18, 03:16   #46
Zael
Historian

As Boobandie mentioned, in a previous thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
Yeah to elaborate the most noticable change was TR2 added an extra transition to jumping from the first step Lara takes after landing.

In TR1 you run two steps to jump, she lands, and has to take two steps before she can jump again, usually resulting in her falling off the edge when you expected her to jump or stopping so you can do the walk-back-run process again. Compare that to TR2 Lara who can jump from the first step she takes after landing so no more running off of ledges. The movement through a space suddenly got a lot more fluid

TR2 also added 180 turns when underwater which sped things up, and in the air when jumping which made combat a lot more fluid. Further games added more transitions between animations so Lara responded faster, but I think TR2 broke the most ground. Like Assassins Creed 2, it fixed all the bad bits about the first games controls.

Abysmal may be to strong of a word, I'm still fine with how TR1 controls and play the game regularly. It's just to a new player, TR1 has worse controls than its sequels.

I'm actually kind of surprised that in all the re-releases TR1 got, Core never ported the game to the TR2 engine. A version of the game with a more responsive Lara and her intended braid seems like a no brainer, particularly with TR1 being the only DOS game in the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
I think the TR1 levels would work fine with TR2 Lara, really the only place you'd notice a change in difficulty would be the fire room in Palace of Midas because that's the one puzzle in the game tied to Lara's specific TR1 jumping mechanic. It'd probably be slightly easier with TR2 Lara. Everything else would be the same just with a more responsive Lara so you can time your jumps better and platform more fluidly.
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-18, 03:20   #47
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

Ah, yes, I remember that post. That was actually what made me realized the very slightly less responsive movement. Itís quite interesting to me.
Old 14-10-18, 00:17   #48
mistamontiel
Hobbyist

I don't understand! I've been playing through TR3 on the fat PS1. Dualshock, analogs work should I care for them outside of the Gran Turismos+NFS

..rumble? Vibration? How pray tell

EDIT: Must enter controller menu xD But yet another question! I've been playing along the speedrun and how do you use flares! Have to menu?

Last edited by mistamontiel; 14-10-18 at 00:34.
mistamontiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-18, 04:33   #49
the magi
Hobbyist

Well for TR1 it definately ain't the PC version, since it doesn't feature the godlike soundtrack. What where they thinking?!
the magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-18, 09:51   #50
LateRaider
Archaeologist

Now that SotTR is out, I thought I'd bump this thread with thoughts on it. Obviously, the answer is going to be PC since it'll have 60 FPS and 4k enhanced visuals all in one, unlike the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X versions. But what, specifically, are the pros of it all? I know about ray-traced shadows (Whenever it gets patched...)

Last edited by LateRaider; 05-11-18 at 01:53.
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote