Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 15-10-17, 14:33   #161
Opaque79

There is an orange light bulb on the surface but it is not bright enough so I'll definitely see to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
One question. I downloaded a snake enemy but the sounds were in raw format (TR3 Sound 318-0 for example). Would it be a problem to rename the sound files and replace existing ones in the samples folder so that when the sounds.txt is edited, the sounds are not lost?

I ask this because I thought renaming sound files from a downloaded object is not allowed (for some reason)
Any answers to the question quoted above?
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 15:04   #162
Titak

No problem.
But if you replace an existing sound, the volume and pitch and such might not be correct. Due to whatever values the sound has in the sounds.txt.

I think pitch should be set to 0 to make TR3 sounds sound the way they do in TR3.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 16:12   #163
Opaque79

Thanks. Although the sounds included were lizard sounds so I assume it needs a higher pitch in that case therefore I don't know the correct pitch. May be best to add it when I know I don't need to edit the sounds.txt

Pitch set to 0 isn't always correct. The TR3 door needs a pitch of -20 to sound correct.
Old 15-10-17, 17:02   #164
Titak

Ah, so I was wrong about that.
I seem to remember having read something like that years ago.
Might have been TR1 or TR2 sounds then.
Whatever...

As for the lizard sound, the best way is to add the sound and see what it sounds like ingame.
Then adjust the pitch to your liking.
Doesn't even have to be exactly like the TR3 lizard.

I remember adding a door from TR3 I think it was, to the first level of my Stargate levels. I hadn't done anything to the sounds.txt and the door dounded way to low pitched.
But I liked it anyway, made it sound like a new sound!
A happy accident that was.
Titak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-17, 17:26   #165
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titak View Post
Ah, so I was wrong about that.
I seem to remember having read something like that years ago.
Might have been TR1 or TR2 sounds then.
Whatever...

As for the lizard sound, the best way is to add the sound and see what it sounds like ingame.
Then adjust the pitch to your liking.
Doesn't even have to be exactly like the TR3 lizard.

I remember adding a door from TR3 I think it was, to the first level of my Stargate levels. I hadn't done anything to the sounds.txt and the door dounded way to low pitched.
But I liked it anyway, made it sound like a new sound!
A happy accident that was.
I think the sound is used for both the snake and lizard. But it doesn't matter now anyway as I decided not to use it and look for other enemies (maybe the tribesmen from south pacific?)

I'll be honest here. I don't like making modifications to downloaded resources off TRSearch because it feels like modifying someone else's work without premission and therefore wrong to do.

That may sound silly but it is the honest truth and why I was hesitant to extract resources from the official TR games. I hope that's understandable.
Old 16-10-17, 23:30   #166
Opaque79

Quote:
I think the sound is used for both the snake and lizard. But it doesn't matter now anyway as I decided not to use it and look for other enemies (maybe the tribesmen from south pacific?)

I'll be honest here. I don't like making modifications to downloaded resources off TRSearch because it feels like modifying someone else's work without premission and therefore wrong to do.

That may sound silly but it is the honest truth and why I was hesitant to extract resources from the official TR games. I hope that's understandable.
Although the situation above is an issue, there is some positives now.

I have been able to improve quite a few areas of this level now (kind of like filling in the gaps). It's given me the opportunity to try out new functions and therefore add even more possibilities. In the case of level building, less can be more (as in not every level needs a huge amount of rooms to be good).

I will definitely give some areas more purpose and take advantage of the large spaces I have.

EDIT: As of now, the gameplay has gone from around 7 minutes to nearly 18 minutes. Much better.

Last edited by Opaque79; 17-10-17 at 01:12.
Old 17-10-17, 16:10   #167
DunHill
Inactive

Very nice ! And remember, you will always take way less time to finish your level than a player who discovers the environment and gameplay I'm sure you can easily pull off a 45 min raid from this one
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 16:19   #168
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Very nice ! And remember, you will always take way less time to finish your level than a player who discovers the environment and gameplay I'm sure you can easily pull off a 45 min raid from this one
I remembered that when I thought about the fact that the builder will know what to do and where everything is - they put it there.

The best thing is that I have only improved the gameplay on half the level.
If it took me 45 minutes to run through the complete level, it would possibly be around 1 hour and 30 minutes for the player.

All I am doing now is altering the rooms to avoid the gameplay being too straight forward. Like if Lara needs to reach a higher place, forget the ladder - why not platforming? That's just one example.

I thought about playing some custom levels I have not yet played to get an idea of what a custom level is like for the player.
Old 17-10-17, 19:00   #169
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
As of now, the gameplay has gone from around 7 minutes to nearly 18 minutes. Much better.
Great! Glad to hear that.

Quote:
get an idea of what a custom level is like for the player.
An excellent idea, i made some mistakes related to that with my levelset, which i realized when i saw gameplay videos. I'm trying to avoid them now, though one error i made gave me an awesome idea for a secret placement.
It can be difficult to view things from a players perspective while building to me. You need a balance between graphics and gameplay, i'm guilty of not being too focused with the former and keeping the focus on the latter.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-17, 19:20   #170
Opaque79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
Great! Glad to hear that.
Thanks. Some of that has come from trying new things which in turn gives me more ideas.

Quote:
An excellent idea, i made some mistakes related to that with my levelset, which i realized when i saw gameplay videos. I'm trying to avoid them now, though one error i made gave me an awesome idea for a secret placement.
Exactly. While building, it is not easily known how the player will see it. To the builder, they know what to do because they built it. To the player, that's not the case. They will not know what to do or where to go initially. Therefore, by playing levels I have not played yet, gives me the idea of how the level is seen by the players.

As for secret placements, I seem to have a hard time hiding secrets.

Quote:
It can be difficult to view things from a players perspective while building to me. You need a balance between graphics and gameplay, i'm guilty of not being too focused with the former and keeping the focus on the latter.
For me, it's the opposite.

I sometimes spend a lot of time on the look of the room and then I don't think about the gameplay until after. That approach usually ends up with having the environment built but no gameplay to go with it.