Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 10-11-16, 19:28   #11
ThatSassyKid

You can choose 4K mode on 1080p display? Nice!
I need someone to send me a screenshot of the enriched visuals mode for comparison, pls
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 20:04   #12
Lara_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
You can choose 4K mode on 1080p display? Nice!
I need someone to send me a screenshot of the enriched visuals mode for comparison, pls
Yes, all three options work on a hdtv. I'm sure I've heard that the 4K resolutions and textures get supersampled down so even without a 4K tv you see an improvement....I'm convinced I can see a difference other than just iliminating the jaggies. All I've noticed so far with enriched visuals is a better rug in Lara's flat (finally lol) and a slight change in foliage and three branches.....everything else seems the same but a little less clear and crisp. Anti aliasing is just as crappy as on a base PS4 unless played in the 4K mode. I'll have a play about and probably take screens when I'm in one of the hubs to see for sure. What is a little odd is framrate mode seems a bit crisper visually than enriched visuals mode.....well, I've certainly noticed it on rock textures on the mountain peak. Maybe I'm just looking for things too much or the higher frame rate is making things all round seem smoother, who knows lol
Lara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 20:11   #13
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_C View Post
Yes, all three options work on a hdtv. I'm sure I've heard that the 4K resolutions and textures get supersampled down so even without a 4K tv you see an improvement....I'm convinced I can see a difference other than just iliminating the jaggies. All I've noticed so far with enriched visuals is a better rug in Lara's flat (finally lol) and a slight change in foliage and three branches.....everything else seems the same but a little less clear and crisp. Anti aliasing is just as crappy as on a base PS4 unless played in the 4K mode. I'll have a play about and probably take screens when I'm in one of the hubs to see for sure. What is a little odd is framrate mode seems a bit crisper visually than enriched visuals mode.....well, I've certainly noticed it on rock textures on the mountain peak. Maybe I'm just looking for things too much or the higher frame rate is making things all round seem smoother, who knows lol
Hm, makes me glad I didn't get a Pro tbh. I probably would have only played Rise on enriched visuals to only be highly disappointed since that's what I was most looking forward to. All comparisons I've seen of it actually have worse shadows and less detail to Lara herself.
The only thing I've seen with it is more foliage. Disappointing. It's not very "enhanced" at all.
Old 10-11-16, 20:24   #14
Zebra

The shadows aren't worse, they get softer with more distance which is more realistic than an object that's several metres away casting a perfectly crisp shadow.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-16, 20:28   #15
Lara_C

Quote:
Hm, makes me glad I didn't get a Pro tbh. I probably would have only played Rise on enriched visuals to only be highly disappointed since that's what I was most looking forward to. All comparisons I've seen of it actually have worse shadows and less detail to Lara herself.
The only thing I've seen with it is more foliage. Disappointing. It's not very "enhanced" at all.
Lol. Don't base your opinion just by what I've said, I really haven't tested it out properly yet so there might be a lot more to witness. Also the 4K mode played on a 1080p hdtv is still a great improvement so it wouldnt have been all bad if you did get a pro.....but I do totally see where you coming from. The shadows are softer by design on enriched visuals mode....apparently for a more natural look. As for the detail on Lara I can't say I've noticed it being worst on that mode....so far. It will be interesting to hear other people's experiences with all three modes either with or without a 4K tv, and also digital foundry's in depth look

^^^ Zebra beat me too it regarding the shodows

Last edited by Lara_C; 10-11-16 at 20:41.
Lara_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 03:04   #16
BigR4444
Golden

Did any of you transfer all the data on your old PS4 onto the Pro? How easy was it, and how long did the transfer take?
BigR4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 03:05   #17
mileylover04

Glad to hear good things about this! My 4k HDR tv comes tomorrow, and I'm thinking of trading in some stuff on Saturday at GameStop on their pro(membership) day and picking up a PS4 pro then!
mileylover04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 08:43   #18
fondantcookie

Talking

Too many people are saying they can't see a difference between standard and pro media, but for the large part they are looking at media on a device that doesn't even support 4k output. Lol.

Having now got my pro and after playing uncharted 4 and Rise I can say there are very significant performance and visual improvements. They are absolutely GORGEOUS to look at and so smooth to play. Makes the regular version look full of jaggies haha. It's DEFINITELY a worthy purchase for those on the fence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigR4444 View Post
Did any of you transfer all the data on your old PS4 onto the Pro? How easy was it, and how long did the transfer take?
I did this last night and it was really easy. You just hook both consoles up to your TV and link them via ethernet cable. Then use the "transfer data between ps4 consoles" function from the settings menu. .

It took a few hours but everything worked once it had completed.
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-16, 08:49   #19
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondantcookie View Post
I did this last night and it was really easy. You just hook both consoles up to your TV and link them via ethernet cable. Then use the "transfer data between ps4 consoles" function from the settings menu. .

It took a few hours but everything worked once it had completed.
There is this option - although they just need to be on the same network, don't think they need to be on the same TV or ethernet
Also, you can simply upload your save data to online storage - or copy to a USB if you don't have PS+.
Then simply download them from storage/copy from USB onto the Pro after you put your game discs in and give them a few seconds to install.
Old 11-11-16, 09:13   #20
fondantcookie

Quote:
There is this option - although they just need to be on the same network, don't think they need to be on the same TV or ethernet
Also, you can simply upload your save data to online storage - or copy to a USB if you don't have PS+.
Then simply download them from storage/copy from USB onto the Pro after you put your game discs in and give them a few seconds to install.
Yeah there are other options but the simplest (and newest) is the Ethernet cable. You just hook them up and set it going and it requires nothing else.

In the past I have also done this via two other methods;
1) backing up data to an external harddrive
2) downloading saved data from PSN online storage
Each of these were a but faffier....

Last edited by fondantcookie; 11-11-16 at 13:02.
fondantcookie is offline   Reply With Quote