Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 29-10-16, 01:30   #11
pipermaru

I actually agree with the OP, but I stopped having expectations about Reboot Lara when I finished playing TR2013 three years ago. She'll never be Classic Lara because she already is a different character, with different motivations and a brand new personality. She just happens to be called Lara Croft, is British, likes exploring and is physically similar to Classic Lara.

I still think Reboot Lara is an ok character and the games are fun - although they could've been improved.

My problem with this reboot, however, is that they based their whole marketing strategy around the idea of "trying to know who Lara Croft is", "getting to know where she came from" and all that jazz, when she is a completely different character and Square never had interest in turning her into the "Lara we all know and love". I think it's cheap PR (and not CD's fault by any means) and there are a lot of people who expect things they can never have.

That's why some fans are always complaining about shorts, braid, dual pistols, etc. when they'll never get these things back, at least not the way they want. And no, I don't buy the whole "she's still growing....". Reboot Lara already is a badass, a very good explorer, an adventurer, etc. She will evolve as a character, but she is fundamentally different from Classic Lara. And that's why I think Square screwed up teling to the fans that this was "an origin story for Lara Croft", implying we would see Classic Lara again.

This is a reboot, period.
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-16, 17:25   #12
redfox45

I feel that they would have actually reigned in more publicity and intrigue if they had taken a big leap of faith like bringing someone new in. As the game on it's own merit was very well received.

That being said, that very same year there was another well loved franchise that made a drastic change only this company did it for all the wrong reasons, they did it to deliberately stir up drama among fans in an attempt to get publicity and boost unit sales.

So if they did consider it (which I don't think they did for a second) it would have been the worst possible time.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-16, 17:46   #13
Nigel Cassidy

Who is that? And what's growing out of his head?
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-16, 22:03   #14
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by totec View Post
That should be marked in bold, next to the rules on this fórum.

May I ask if the people who hate the reboot know how the multiverses work? Reboot universe will not turn into the classic universe because both are parallel universes. Some things are still the same but there are big differences, mostly in the hero's origin story that shape her personality and her surroundings. And this is the easiest way to understand It.
THIS 100%.

If all this bashing, all this bitterness and frustration, all this fighting etc...is really coming from the place of thinking that the reboot is done to "Erase" the classic Tomb Raider...then we all have wasted too much time arguing.

Because it is impossible to erase the past, no matter what.
And also, CD doesnt want to rewrite THE Classic Lara Croft.
If they wanted to do that, they wouldnt allow the old games to be on steam, they wouldnt have done the whole 20th anniversary thing, they wouldnt have allowed the classic skins to be in the game and all the easter eggs to the classics.
They wouldnt sell the classics on smartphone, ps/xbox store, the wouldnt hire a developer and do those co-op games.

Tomb Raider is a bit like a comic book universe, and currently it has 3 different universes.
The original, the one where games like underworld exist, and the Rise universe(maybe we should come up with a different name then the reboot universe...i get why "reboot" throws fans off)

It is like the DC universe, where you have currently 52 universes.
You have 52 versions of Batman, all are completely different but in their own way they are still Batman.
Because they have certain key elements about them that all of them have in common and make them this character.

Same goes for the Tomb Raider series.
The two CD versions are different, but they are on their very own...about Lara Croft.

so if it is really "just" about the fear of this "new" universe Erasing the classics, this fear is completely Unnecessary.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-16, 16:03   #15
larafan25

Nope, it's not about fear. It's about wanting a return to the original Tomb Raider games for 10 years. With the constant sense that nobody really understands the character and what the game is. That somehow the game is being created for the pleasing of some other audience, only for that to be cemented by a reboot.

It's also somewhat illogical to clarify that these past two re-imaginings of the series are about "Lara Croft", we know this and don't like this. For us, Lara Croft is not this bullet-point silhouette Crystal have invented. I'm not all that into some chicks from other games, why should this new one be any different?
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-16, 18:26   #16
Nigel Cassidy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
THIS 100%.
I can hardly see how that would be some 'eureka!' moment... Yeah I know that the reboot is like a different dimension to the previous games. So what? I still don't like the reboot. And as long as it calls itself 'Tomb Raider' I will criticize it for not being what I want and expect from a Tomb Raider game. Or rather, as long as there isn't a satisfying alternative game in third person with decent production values, featuring old school Lara.
Nigel Cassidy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-16, 19:13   #17
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
Who is that? And what's growing out of his head?
haha that's the reinvented Dante from the Devil May Cry reboot that came out in 2013. And that's a stupid plot device growing out of his head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post

Tomb Raider is a bit like a comic book universe, and currently it has 3 different universes.
I like that way of looking at it. I just wish it was marketed more in that way. Clean break, fresh start.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 03:07   #18
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I've enjoyed everything they've done with the series since 2013 but the main thing I don't like is the way they are selling it as a 'reboot' AND an origin story.
Well, it's a reboot because they're starting fresh. CD originally had ideas to continue the story where TRU left off, only introducing a more open world concept in gameplay. But, they went with starting again. And this time they decided to go right from Lara's beginnings of her life as a tomb raider, showing an origin story - instead of jumping right in with a veteran raider.

Quote:
The whole hook of an origin story is that eventually you will be able to lead it into something you're already familiar with. But if Lara's entire life has been pushed forward in time like 20 years and everything about her and her family is totally different what's it the origin of? They're literally making it up as they go...it's not going anywhere. And for me it's leaving a big void where there should be satisfying connections to something...anything.
Think of it as a new era TR/Lara Croft. CD have said the plan is to get this Lara to a point where she is recognisable as the tomb raider we know. This does not mean she'll miraculously turn into CoreLara, nor LAULara. Core Lara is still out there, she has her era, LAULara has hers. RebootLara's bio is more reminiscent of LAULara's, agreed, but LAULara was still built off CoreLara. I believe they're trying to create their version of Lara and grounding her in current time while giving hints of the classic era (the wealthy background and manor, similar personality traits required for raiding). I don't blame them really. They tried shoehorning their own take of classic Lara with LAU Lara, but it became a bit of a mess. With a reboot and new origins, they get to start again, making their vision for Lara Croft.

I disagree with you that it's going nowhere. I think they have intended to make this Lara become the independent, strong willed, confident, tough TR we're used to. It's evident to me that there have been changes between TR'13 and Rise. Maybe they're subtle, but they're there. I expect more subtle changes in Shadow. People do change as they grow, but often in subtle ways and over time (my key word for this overlong post ). Lara's biggest change was probably after the events of Yamatai as it was a traumatic experience that not only forced her into circumstances she wasn't prepared for, but opened her eyes to something she'd previously dismissed.

Quote:
I'd have much preferred it if they introduced a new character and build them into a "Tomb Raider" through all the violent ordeals.
What if they based a new character around the original idea of Laura Cruz? Given her a new name and a unique look. Built that "nothing to lose" determination around a dark past or rough upbringing?
Because for me at this point, it may as well be a new character and it feels like the only reason her name is Lara Croft is because Tomb Raider's...got...Lara Croft in it?
Maybe CD weren't allowed. They have been tasked with making TR games, and Lara Croft herself has been the focal point of marketing, even in the early days. And yes, maybe to SE/CD Lara is integral to Tomb Raider. A lot of fans would agree. So, to reiterate what I've said above, they keep Lara Croft, but create a modernised new era version, one that fits the rebooted gameplay they've gone with.

Last edited by Rai; 29-11-16 at 19:06.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 03:22   #19
Classic98
Inactive

It's like the Amazing Spiderman - Ultimate Spiderman. Sort of.

Yes ? No ?

Last edited by Classic98; 28-11-16 at 03:30.
Classic98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-16, 09:40   #20
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Cassidy View Post
I can hardly see how that would be some 'eureka!' moment... Yeah I know that the reboot is like a different dimension to the previous games. So what? I still don't like the reboot. And as long as it calls itself 'Tomb Raider' I will criticize it for not being what I want and expect from a Tomb Raider game. Or rather, as long as there isn't a satisfying alternative game in third person with decent production values, featuring old school Lara.
Im sorry but my english might not be as good as i thought, because this sounds like it makes little sense.

You know it is not the game you expect/want, that is not even targeted to be this game...and for that you criticize it?
Maybe i missunderstand your point, but this sounds weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic98 View Post
It's like the Amazing Spiderman - Ultimate Spiderman. Sort of.

Yes ? No ?
Yes, that is how you can compare it.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote