Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 11-01-17, 20:04   #1
Tonyrobinson

Default Daniel Wu joins Tomb Raider

Seems to be playing a new take on Roth.

A character called Lu Ren. I've not seen him in anything but he did motion capture and voice Guldan in the Warcraft film.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/to...wu-1201958245/

This movies definitely trying to appeal strongly to the China film market with this casting. It's a great idea to make additional money too.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 11-01-17 at 20:10.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 20:12   #2
Heidi_w_

Seems a bit young to be playing a father figure, maybe he's more of a Grim-type character?

I'm thinking his role will probably be a minor one, given that he's still starring in his own tv series while this is going on...

Last edited by Heidi_w_; 11-01-17 at 20:14.
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 20:20   #3
Tonyrobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_w_ View Post
Seems a bit young to be playing a father figure, maybe he's more of a Grim-type character?

I'm thinking his role will probably be a minor one, given that he's still starring in his own tv series while this is going on...
He just wrapped on it two weeks ago, according to his Twitter.
Old 11-01-17, 20:45   #4
HRHCroft

I've seen him in a few Hong Kong/Asian action flicks over the years (and Jackie Chan's "Around the World in 80 Days"). He's very good at action. I wonder if there's going to be a strong emphasis on good fight scenes in this movie? Between this piece of casting, and Lara being shown in training, it's a possibility.

This also suggests, to me, they won't be following the reboot game verbatim.
HRHCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:02   #5
Rai

Never heard of him. He's the ship's captain? Okay, so not Roth exactly, but maybe still a mentor figure for Lara. Mentors don't have to be old, just have experience and able to guide. I'm intrigued.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:04   #6
Tonyrobinson

I'm wondering if he'll be Lara's father's friend or a friend of Lara's. Maybe he will double cross her or have his own reasons for going to the island.

He's bad ass.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 11-01-17 at 21:29.
Old 11-01-17, 21:41   #7
PinkyPromise

This confirm that the film have a new history... no reboot history. Goodbye Sam, Yamatai... hi Chinise history : (
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 22:02   #8
Heidi_w_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I'm wondering if he'll be Lara's father's friend or a friend of Lara's. Maybe he will double cross her or have his own reasons for going to the island.

He's bad ass.
Curious that they've revealed his character's name but they haven't with Walton's -- maybe because Wu's character not being in the game means they don't risk revealing too much this early, while Walton -- if he's playing Mathias, Whitman or a composite of both, might be too compromising to reveal yet.

Might explain why some of the other characters haven't been announced yet (Sam, Jonah, etc).
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 22:04   #9
Tonyrobinson

I was thinking that too. It does sound like a mostly original story than originally intended. I remember they'd mentioned in earlier treatments that Roth was in the film when the first set of writers were attatched even up until Marti Noxon was part of the film she said she was inspired by the reboot game.

I'm guessing Geneva has been allowed to do her own thing using the premise of Lara surviving on an Asian Island.
Old 12-01-17, 01:05   #10
Jorje Croft

Trust me guys movie is not repricing game story that's why there are too much differences.
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote