Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 18-01-15, 20:02   #1
TRJTA

Cool Widescreen Classics!

Lately I've been fiddling with the amazing Widescreen Patch, which I downloaded from here:

http://tombraiders.net/stella/downloads/widescreen.html

(TIP: Change the FOV to 332 for 1920x1080 resolution monitors, it gives the exact same image as in 4:3, but with extended view to both sides!)

It's now finally possible to really play TR 2 - Chronicles in razor sharp 1920x1080 unstretched unzoomed HD!

It inspired me to widescreen-ify the PIX from TR2 & 3. They are all done now! (Legal screens, title screens, Loading screens, credits).

I also replaced the title screen of TR1 with a version that's much less compressed and possessed more detail, like in the PS1 version.

DOWNLOAD NOW

Here is an excerpt of the widescreen pix:

TR1 Menu (sadly still 4:3, Tomb Raider 1 can't run in 16:9 with correct aspect ratio:

You can download the TR1 improved title screen seperately here.

Glidos users download this
GOG users download this

I'm sorry, it's not possible to make this work if you don't have the GOG version and/or use Glidos.

To use this with just the GOG version:
1) Rename the GAME.GOG file in the main Tomb Raider folder to GAME.iso
2) Open the iso with MagicISO (free download from internet) and replace the TITLEH.PCX file in the DATA folder with the one in my archive,
3) Save the iso.
4) Close MagicISO
5) rename GAME.iso back to GAME.GOG

The Glidos version works the same as Tomb Raider Xtra texture packs.

TR2 Menu:

TR3 Menu:

TR3 Gold Menu:

TR3 Home Loading Screen (remade with my FMV Croft Manor Model )

TR3 Loading Screen:

Here you can see a comparison of the original 4:3 and 16:9 TR3:

Menu 4:3

Menu 16:9

Ingame 4:3

Ingame 16:9

Some time ago I also made a widescreen Full HD loading screen for the Level Editor. It also includes an unstretched logo for the main menu.

You can download it here:

Install Instructions:

For TRII,TRIII and Chronicles it's just as simple as overwriting the files in the data/pix folders.

For TRII & III Gold it's a bit more complicated:

For TR2 Gold:
1) Download the full Golden Mask expansion http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/tr2/gold/demo.html (Download the Full Version, and run installation in Vista compatibility mode Vista!)

2) Install the expansion on your computer.

3) Create a new folder on the desktop and copy all the files from the Tomb Raider 2 folder to this new folder (should include data, fmv, music folders!). The new folder will be used just for playing Golden Mask.

4) Within the new folder, delete all the files in the "data" folder and replace them with the files from Golden Mask's "data" folder.

5) In the main section of the new folder, there is a file called "tombPC.dat". Delete it, then go to the "data" folder where you will see another filed named "tombPC.dat". Copy this file to the main section.

6) Extract my "TR 2 - 5 Widescreen Fix.rar", and copy/paste the 'data' folder under 'TR II Gold Widescreen Pix' into the now newly created TR2 gold folder

Now if you load Tomb Raider 2 from within the new folder, it should load Golden Mask instead of the original game. Have fun!

The only disadvantage this has is that now Lara's Home is in the TR2 gold menu too, but this is the only way to play TRII gold without a CD and with the soundtrack.
It's also the only way to use my widescreen images.

For TR3 Gold:
1) You need to have TRLA installed on your PC (obviously) and TR3 too.

2) Download the TR Multi Patch updater from here: http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/vista/patch.html and install the updates. IMPORTANT: you must install the TR3 update especially: this is not going to work without it.

3) You've done that? Good, this is where it gets interesting. In the folder where TR3 is installed (usually C:\....core design\Tomb Raider III) right click on on the tomb3.exe file and select "copy"

5) Go to where TRLA is installed (usually C:\.... core design\Tomb Raider - The Lost Artifact) and paste the tomb3.exe file here.

6) Rename this file tr3gold.exe

7 Copy the following folders from the TRLA CD-ROM:- DATA, FMV, AUDIO and PIX to the TRLA folder on your HDD.

8) Go into the DATA folder: theres a file in there called trtla.dat - rename this TombPC.dat

9) Extract my "TR 2 - 5 Widescreen Fix.rar", and copy/paste the 'pix' folder under 'TR III Gold Widescreen Pix' into the now newly created TR2 gold folder

Thats it. You can now play TRLA without any CD's in the drive.

Last edited by TRJTA; 31-01-22 at 17:19.
TRJTA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 20:33   #2
Phlip
Inactive

Wow man those menus are bitchin'!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 20:56   #3
Sardoc

Lookin' good, will definitely try them soon.

Were you planning to do TR2 Gold, TR3 other loading screens and TR3 Gold loading screens?
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 21:22   #4
Enya Brennan

I would swear I posted in this thread earlier WTF Anyway, very good work! I'll try the patch ASAP.
Enya Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 21:40   #5
Lwmte

I've actually fiddled with TR1/TR2 title screens when programming loading screens support for OpenTomb. My result is slightly different, as I used complicated technique to get maximum quality.

The problem is, PC versions of TR1/2 used VERY lossy PCX format, which resulted in very ugly "dotty" dithering on gradient areas. While PSX versions had no such dithering (and better color depth), but they suffered from low resolution.

What I did is I've combined both PC and PSX screens in Photoshop using "darken" blending mode, which resulted in overall edge sharpening, while preserving smooth PSX gradients; also I did some manual smoothing on Lara skin and other zones which suffered from dithering.

Then I've merged both layers and upscaled image with Perfect Resize filter two times.

Here is my result for TR1 and for TR2. Here are PSD source files, if you need it.

Last edited by Lwmte; 18-01-15 at 21:41.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 21:43   #6
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Lookin' good, will definitely try them soon.

Were you planning to do TR2 Gold, TR3 other loading screens and TR3 Gold loading screens?
I already did

Of course there is also my widescreen corrected tomb raider chronicles menu logo. I did have a look at the last revelation too, but funnily enough the logo is actually better and more like the logo on the official cover when stretched. I guess core design had a rough time stuffing in the logo, so they actually narrowed it. It is a wide logo.

Last edited by TRJTA; 18-01-15 at 21:44.
Old 18-01-15, 21:46   #7
PhantomPain

Man, that's some great job That FOV change seems really accurate too! I never got it right when fiddling with the patch (on TR4 though).
PhantomPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 21:51   #8
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
It's now finally possible to really play TR 2 - Chronicles in razor sharp 1920x1080 unstretched unzoomed HD!]
Awesome! I will definitely download this patch!
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 22:06   #9
Dustie

What settings did you use to keep the menus in right aspect ratio? When I use the widescreen patch the in-game view is widened properly, and the pause menu is also neatly adjusted (without stretching), but the menu screen gets stretched... :-/
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-15, 22:28   #10
TRJTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
What settings did you use to keep the menus in right aspect ratio? When I use the widescreen patch the in-game view is widened properly, and the pause menu is also neatly adjusted (without stretching), but the menu screen gets stretched... :-/
Which game's menu are you talking about?