Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-04-15, 19:28   #131
veratinum

I sure am.
Funny, how they were able to modify the texts (they had to use appropriate tools) and audio, yet they had troubles making a good-looking font.
And if using these shortenings is ridiculous, what would you say about this ? :
Translating the incorrectly translated Polish dialogue from 2:23 back to English:
More carefully ! Don't believe your eyes. Secret traps and abuscades are waiting there for you. Be beside and follow on my tips.

Quote:
And believe me, translation quality was really awful, often pirates modified existing fonts with basic editors, like MS paint or whatever, also many voiceovers were completely out of sync with original tracks
So... were both Polish and Russian translations created by the same person ?
Why did I come up with this theory ?
* the Polish one was surely made by a Russian, I can tell by the accent.
* messed up fonts.
* incorrect translation of text and dialogues.
* some dialogues are unsynchronized

Please, provide some footage if possible.
veratinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-15, 21:36   #132
b122251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Well, if we're talking about PlayStation versions, they were also suffering from lack of data space to fit Russian words - for example, LOAD and SAVE words in Russian are ZAGRUZIT' and SOHRANIT', but they had to fit these into four characters, so these words became ZAGR and SOHR, which is absolutely ridiculous and somewhat funny
Haha! Even my Translation Tool wouldn't be able to fix that. The russian letters aren't supported by Tomb Raider, so you'd have to make the characters yourself. But the original tomb raider used the latin alphabet, so there's only 26 spaces for the characters to go. I don't speak any russian, but a quick wikipedia search shows me that the russian alphabet has 33 characters.
There's no way you can do this and make it look nice.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-15, 22:12   #133
Suikaze Raider

The worst part is redefine the chars size and change the texture... Some unused punctuation chars could be recycled as "!#+-/?\ß". Maybe on PlayStation could be doable, but on PC is harder, because the keyboard keys names use Latin script

Russian Tomb Raider 4 and 5 for PC has a bigger charmap with all the Russian chars and they use the encoding Windows-1251.

Those solutions are hard to do...

Regards
Suikaze Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-15, 22:41   #134
Lwmte

Ok, here is an example of badly translated TR2. It's not recorded nor uploaded by me, just did a quick search over Youtube.

As you can see, many letters are trashed and badly drawn. Lara voice is also ridiculous. There were even worse examples, like the TR2 disc I once owned, which only had translated voices (not the text). It was voiced by only one actor, and was badly out of sync with original audio, like he told everything in first 20 seconds, and then original cutscene/FMV continued with silenced original audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veratinum View Post
Funny, how they were able to modify the texts (they had to use appropriate tools) and audio, yet they had troubles making a good-looking font.
I think they just didn't care enough, and also they had lots of games to translate and throw to the market. That's why I always hated translated versions.

Quote:
And if using these shortenings is ridiculous, what would you say about this ?
Well, this is strange, considering that they easily could increase audiotrack size on PC by just replacing wav file with longer one.

Quote:
So... were both Polish and Russian translations created by the same person ?
Well, why not? I don't recall this voice - my out-of-sync TR2 version had different one, and also I never heard that voice anywhere but PSX games. But everything is possible, considering that russian piracy had historical roots in Poland since early 1990s.

Considering lack of space in english charmap for russian symbols... Well, pirates almost always did a dirty trick with merging some similarly looking letters into one. For example, Щ and Ш were merged, as well as Ъ and Ь. Also, 3 (three) was merged with З (russian "ze" letter), O was merged with 0 (zero), and so on. But that was not a major problem - they just had no physical space to fit same words in Russian, when English ones had less characters in it (like with LOAD/SAVE words I mentioned above).

Oh, by the way, while all this conversation gets a bit off-topic, here is the some extra info on presumably TR3 beta which I owned (and I hope the same disc is now being delivered to me). Do any TR3 betas have messed-up audiotrack timecode mapping? Because I just remembered another thing I had in that version - all Lara's home voice tracks had slightly shifted out point, resulting in playing a small piece of next track after current track. If anyone can confirm that, I'd be happy to hear.

So, to sum up everything I remember from my TR3 PSX disc I had:

1. Shifted out points for Lara's Home voice tracks.
2. Active item notifier (don't remember exactly, but probably it wasn't rotating, as in PC versions.
3. Probably active crawlspace roll animation, but was pointed by Gh0stBlade as wrong.
4. No All Hallows level after Thames Wharf and no TR2-like shotgun, so it was surely late beta.
5. Ordinary cheats (L2-R2 sequences) didn't work. I always thought it was because of a different disc region (NTSC in my case), am I right?
6. Exploding Lara. Don't remember the circumstances, but it was either by a cheat or using grenade/rocket launcher at a close range. Funny fact is that the same behaviour was enabled in TREP patch years later!

Last edited by Lwmte; 04-04-15 at 23:49.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-15, 17:47   #135
jonathanrij

^ Judging by your description it might be a mid-October build. Interesting. Hope it works out.

I'm rather intrigued by these bootlegs, honestly. There must have been quite a dedicated team behind obtaining and modifying pre-release builds as fast as possible.
jonathanrij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-15, 15:59   #136
b122251

The beta's are back up now, and will probably stay.
I would like to thank www.***************** for hosting these beta's.
Also, I made a new patch for the September 4th PC beta of Tomb Raider 1, which is a serious improvement on the old patch.
b122251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-15, 10:01   #137
Ifrit61

Quote:
Originally Posted by b122251 View Post
The beta's are back up now, and will probably stay.
I would like to thank www.***************** for hosting these beta's.
Also, I made a new patch for the September 4th PC beta of Tomb Raider 1, which is a serious improvement on the old patch.
I forgot what to write if I want to unlock all the levels.
Was it "tomb.exe lamer" or something?
Ifrit61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 01:48   #138
WhoIAm

Just minor note, but your 2nd-to-last and 3rd-to-last links are swapped
WhoIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 19:29   #139
Tombraiderplay
Inactive

Soooo...When is the TRC beta coming ?
Tombraiderplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-16, 21:06   #140
Dustie

Old thread... but hey, at least I can remind myself of the "polish dub" version of Tomb Raider IV which I played years ago and laughed my butt off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
Ok, here is an example of badly translated TR2. It's not recorded nor uploaded by me, just did a quick search over Youtube.

As you can see, many letters are trashed and badly drawn. Lara voice is also ridiculous. There were even worse examples, like the TR2 disc I once owned, which only had translated voices (not the text). It was voiced by only one actor, and was badly out of sync with original audio, like he told everything in first 20 seconds, and then original cutscene/FMV continued with silenced original audio.

I think they just didn't care enough, and also they had lots of games to translate and throw to the market. That's why I always hated translated versions.

Well, this is strange, considering that they easily could increase audiotrack size on PC by just replacing wav file with longer one.

Well, why not? I don't recall this voice - my out-of-sync TR2 version had different one, and also I never heard that voice anywhere but PSX games. But everything is possible, considering that russian piracy had historical roots in Poland since early 1990s.

Considering lack of space in english charmap for russian symbols... Well, pirates almost always did a dirty trick with merging some similarly looking letters into one. For example, Щ and Ш were merged, as well as Ъ and Ь. Also, 3 (three) was merged with З (russian "ze" letter), O was merged with 0 (zero), and so on. But that was not a major problem - they just had no physical space to fit same words in Russian, when English ones had less characters in it (like with LOAD/SAVE words I mentioned above).

Oh, by the way, while all this conversation gets a bit off-topic, here is the some extra info on presumably TR3 beta which I owned (and I hope the same disc is now being delivered to me). Do any TR3 betas have messed-up audiotrack timecode mapping? Because I just remembered another thing I had in that version - all Lara's home voice tracks had slightly shifted out point, resulting in playing a small piece of next track after current track. If anyone can confirm that, I'd be happy to hear.

So, to sum up everything I remember from my TR3 PSX disc I had:

1. Shifted out points for Lara's Home voice tracks.
2. Active item notifier (don't remember exactly, but probably it wasn't rotating, as in PC versions.
3. Probably active crawlspace roll animation, but was pointed by Gh0stBlade as wrong.
4. No All Hallows level after Thames Wharf and no TR2-like shotgun, so it was surely late beta.
5. Ordinary cheats (L2-R2 sequences) didn't work. I always thought it was because of a different disc region (NTSC in my case), am I right?
6. Exploding Lara. Don't remember the circumstances, but it was either by a cheat or using grenade/rocket launcher at a close range. Funny fact is that the same behaviour was enabled in TREP patch years later!
Still, I have to say I'm impressed they were already doing this sort of trickery back in the 90s AND in PS1 versions of the game, which I suppose are harder to hack considering you have to gain access to the data first, aren't they? On the PC you have a lot of things accessible from the get-go... Still, they were making such Tomb Raider mods long before the unofficial custom level scene emerged, right?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote