Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 02-11-12, 14:46   #1
Draco
Golden

Talking Apple Force Fed Own Medicine

www.geekosystem.com/apple-iphone-mexico/

Quote:
Apple’s Lost the Ability to Sell Under the iPhone Name in Mexico Thanks to Fight They Picked

by Rollin Bishop | 8:40 am, November 2nd, 2012

Part of the whole trademark nonsense is the idea that they have to be aggressively enforced lest they be lost to the company that filed them. It’s why a number of lawsuits are filed about brand names versus slightly similar brand names, and it’s a mighty headache for small companies that get caught in the crossfire just because they happen to share a name in some way with a larger company or their product. This is the reasoning that saw Apple take on iFone, a Mexican telecommunications company. Unfortunately for Apple, they’ve lost in a big way and now won’t be able to sell phones under the iPhone name in Mexico.

What makes the whole thing even sillier is the fact that iFone was registered in the country in 2003, whereas Apple did so in 2007. That means that Apple filed four years later but somehow thought this meant they could retroactively enforce their brand on a preexisting company. They filed a lawsuit against iFone back in 2009, but they’ve essentially been on the losing side of that battle ever since.

The inevitable countersuit from iFone is what’s landed Apple in hot water. According to Electronista, iFone sought damages, which could end up amounting to 40% of iPhone sales revenue in the country, and wanted to stop the American technology giant from peddling anything under the iPhone name in Mexico. Given that a judge has just denied Apple’s injunction to continue selling under the name, it looks like iFone’s going to have their way.

This could be particularly disastrous as the iPhone 5 is set to launch, and now Apple’s hands are tied. This time, however, they only have themselves to blame.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 15:25   #2
tomee

Great job Mexico
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 15:26   #3
Spong
Beyond The Floating Islands

Good. Maybe now Apple will FOAD.
Spong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 15:35   #4
scoopy_loopy

Wow! That is so out of left field!
scoopy_loopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 15:44   #5
Evermore

I find this very amusing. I love this kind of thing because I'm a 'sod my equals trying to be bigger than me' sort of person. I wonder what's going to happen. Will all iPhones with the original name going to become rare? Or is this just in Mexico?
Evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 16:16   #6
Stevo505

I love Apple, but shame on them for going after a smaller company than them like that.
Stevo505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 16:43   #7
Ward Dragon
Golden

I find this very amusing. I think the patent/trademark system is poorly run and prone to abuse (I mean in general, not just Mexico) so it's interesting to see a smaller company win for once.
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 17:29   #8
Larua croft
Inactive

what the hell are they going to call the phone now that they cant use the name iPhone.
Larua croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 17:33   #9
GenyaArikado
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Dragon View Post
I find this very amusing. I think the patent/trademark system is poorly run and prone to abuse (I mean in general, not just Mexico) so it's interesting to see a smaller company win for once.
on one side this

On the other, Mexico, do you think that losing iPhones for some other flop, unknown phone was a good idea?
GenyaArikado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-12, 17:34   #10
Ward Dragon
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
on one side this

On the other, Mexico, do you think that losing iPhones for some other flop, unknown phone was a good idea?
Maybe the judge was a fan of Android or Samsung?
Ward Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote