www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 10-06-18, 16:19   #1
supraspecies
Hobbyist

Default Why TRAOD has been released without any DRM?

At least in my region TRAOD has been released without any DRM. It didn't even ask for CD on launch. Have Eidos guys gave up on it so much pre-release that they didn't even bother with the simplest DRM protection? What do you think?

Last edited by supraspecies; 10-06-18 at 16:20.
supraspecies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 17:06   #2
Caesum
Tomb Raider

I think they didn't really care about the PC version of the game at that time. The main goal was to make a playable PS2 version that meets Sony expectations and the PC version was running behind.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-18, 17:16   #3
Samz
Professor

Well Core Design made the TR Games, and since Eidos cut 8 months from development they really had to rush the game, they didn't even finish the credits for the PC Version, plus a decent number of PC games lack DRM of any kind.
Old 11-06-18, 14:52   #4
Zreen001
Professor

DRM didn't really become a part of a majority of games until around 2007/2008. A few games before then did use DRM but it wasn't really an issue.
Old 11-06-18, 15:16   #5
kietasvyras
Student

That must have been the last thing on their minds when the product was not even finished and they had to release the game that was still almost unplayable. They probably did not had time to for that. But the game sold well and even sells well up to this day anyway. I think bought around 20 different copies myself. I remember the first copy I installed later randomly asked to insert disc 1 in the beginning of Tomb Of Ancients. Maybe because the discs were quite scratched so the game did not install properly? I had to go to my friend and borrow the game again so I could continue. When I inserted the disc I heard how the game thoroughly checked it and then it never asked for it again or maybe very shortly asked once immediately after but the message disappeared before I even found the disc again and inserted it or it was for disc 2 at some point. I read other people here randomly got the same message in other levels too.

Last edited by kietasvyras; 11-06-18 at 15:37.
kietasvyras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 07:49   #6
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Did any game have DRM back then to begin with??? I only started to hearing about DRM post 2010...
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-18, 09:05   #7
SLAYER
Archaeologist

^All previous TR games had a CD check of some sorts. AOD didn't.

It's pretty obvious they didn't have the time.
Old 12-06-18, 10:00   #8
Boobandie
Professor

The first version of the game I had used to tell me to inset disk 1 when loading Parisian Backstreets. Used to cause quite a few problems and often crashed in the process of checking the disk. It also lacked apostrophes so every punctuated word showed up with a square instead of the symbol.

I don't have that copy any more though. My current one doesn't ask for the disk at all.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-18, 03:45   #9
Kirishima
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Did any game have DRM back then to begin with??? I only started to hearing about DRM post 2010...
Beyond Good and Evil, and possibly The Sims 2. I hear about whatever protection they had not usable on newer computers with newer OS's, making them completely unplayable.

Beyond Good and Evil had something called Starlight, or whatever. It only worked on 32bit OS's, so if you had 64bit, you were SOL.

I don't know what The Sims 2 had, but it no longer works on Windows 10, and people have to go through some costumer service branch of EA just to get a downloadable version of the game without whatever protection it had. The Sims 2 even has a license authentication key that you had to type in on installation. Made me mad that whoever gave their copy away to a Goodwill didn't even bother to include the manual with said key on it when I purchased it. Wasted my money.

Last edited by Kirishima; 13-06-18 at 03:53.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-18, 17:41   #10
supraspecies
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
DRM didn't really become a part of a majority of games until around 2007/2008
Disc requirement is also a DRM. And that came about... 2000.
Example: game "Zanzarah: The Hidden Portal". It ran from HDD, but if you disable CD-check in the executable to play without CD, all enemies in the game became nearly invincible. That's one ass of a DRM. When one check fails, it switches to another. And for what? So you can't share the game with your friends, forcing them to buy more copies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Obviously. First DRM has been introduced as CD-checks when actual game did not require CDs to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Beyond Good and Evil had something called Starlight, or whatever. It only worked on 32bit OS's, so if you had 64bit, you were SOL.
Starforce. And it remained uncrackable in the early 2000's. Pretty much as current Denuvo. It had a good run, but did not last forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
It's pretty obvious they didn't have the time.
I doubt it's the case of time, even though TRAOD has 3 executables, but only one launcher.
The reason all previous TR CDs required a CD is because they actually read from it. Be it music, FMVs, etc.

-------------------------------------------

Now a BIG, FAT PS: Ever since I had to rent apartments, I had to store my games on external HDDs, as I simply couldn't afford moving 200 CDs from apartment to apartment. So where did it leave me? I had to download cracks for all my legal games. You could say that GOG/Steam would be a solution, but no. Does GOG or Steam have all the custom mods and patches I apply to my games? No, they don't. I needed to save *my* copies, not what GOG or Steam have to offer.

Still bought all TRs with with all DLCs on Steam. Tomb Raider 3 doesn't even launch - because it has config file present in its folder - the file that is supposed to automatically generated during first launch. I dunno if Steam fixed it not yet (bet they didn't). but their TR3 wasn't even playable. But now I buy only new games on Steam, and leave old games for fixation to my programming skills. I usually fix games better than GOG, anyway. Been doing it for 10 years, when GOG didn't even exist yet.

Last edited by supraspecies; 28-06-18 at 18:04.
supraspecies is offline   Reply With Quote