Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 16-03-18, 15:08   #1
larafan25

Question Meta2TR Help

Hey, I'm trying to convert a TR4 file with Meta2TR but I keep getting this message:

"This level was apparently built with unofficial tools, cannot interpret room collision data. Sorry about that!"

I'm converting a TR4 file which was originally a .prj I converted from a TR2 level file using tr2prj. I've had success in the past with TR2 levels, so it seems odd that just one will trigger this error.

I tried editing a little bit of the geometry and trying again, and it still did not work.

Has anyone had this issue before? Is it related to TR2 levels specifically? Or levels that do not originate from TR4?
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 15:32   #2
Dustie

Considering how erroneous the level files produced by TR2PRJ are, it's possible there is some wrong collision data which Meta interprets as being a result of the use of unofficial tools (mainly unofficial level editors).

Have you fixed up the project file in TRLE (fixed geometry errors and such), or are you trying to use it in Meta2TR right after conversion with TR2PRJ and compiling of the TR4 file?
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 15:37   #3
larafan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
Considering how erroneous the level files produced by TR2PRJ are, it's possible there is some wrong collision data which Meta interprets as being a result of the use of unofficial tools (mainly unofficial level editors).

Have you fixed up the project file in TRLE (fixed geometry errors and such), or are you trying to use it in Meta2TR right after conversion with TR2PRJ and compiling of the TR4 file?
I've been trying to use it right after...

What kind of stuff should I look out for, in terms of geometry errors?
Old 16-03-18, 17:37   #4
psiko

I can try to make some hypothesises.
Maybe in your extracted prj there are some flipmaps, so I would try to delete those first. It may happen they are handled differently from tr4 engine or not properly extracted by tr2prj. Then, I would delete all the rooms you are not going to use. Other thing, I would open the tga and resave it with a different name, then re-load it in your prj. Let us know..
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 18:45   #5
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I've been trying to use it right after...

What kind of stuff should I look out for, in terms of geometry errors?
Well, aren't there any errors in geometry that you can immediately spot? If no, then you're lucky

They should be considerably easy to see, corners which shoot high in the sky, abnormally skewed divisions on walls, missing faces (holes) in walls or floor (usually in walls).
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-18, 19:13   #6
larafan25

^I've taken a look through and haven't noticed anything strange yet, besides lots of cracks, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiko View Post
I can try to make some hypothesises.
Maybe in your extracted prj there are some flipmaps, so I would try to delete those first. It may happen they are handled differently from tr4 engine or not properly extracted by tr2prj. Then, I would delete all the rooms you are not going to use. Other thing, I would open the tga and resave it with a different name, then re-load it in your prj. Let us know..
I've deleted all flip maps but it still doesn't work.

Interesting though, that when I try to re-load the .prj into the editor, it always crashes. It seems I can only load the .prj in safely for the first time. After that, it wants to crash. I wonder what that is about.
Old 16-03-18, 20:18   #7
psiko

that is the main problem, then. Try re-exporting with tr2prj but without items, just prj and tga.
Old 16-03-18, 20:26   #8
larafan25

Quote:
that is the main problem, then. Try re-exporting with tr2prj but without items, just prj and tga.
Hmmm... I never exported with items to begin with, because I thought that option only worked with TR4 levels.
Old 16-03-18, 21:07   #9
psiko

and what wad are you loading inside ngle, and using to compile the level?
Old 16-03-18, 22:03   #10
larafan25

Quote:
and what wad are you loading inside ngle, and using to compile the level?
I've tried with the tutorial level wad and karnak.

I'm going to start isolating rooms and see if I can get an edited-down version of the level to convert.