www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-06-18, 16:09   #1
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,809
Default What's the best way to experience/play AoD for the first time?

Hi everyone. I'll get straight to the point: This is going to be the first time I'll play through AoD (partially as part of a marathon leading up to Shadow), and since there are bugs and such, what is the best way to experience the game for a first-timer?

I'm not sure if I should play through the vanilla version of the game, or if I should try to get some patches for a better playthrough, so I thought I'd get a second opinion.
__________________
“Happy retirement.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:23   #2
SunDormant
Archaeologist
 
SunDormant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,891
Default

I think patches are a must because I've heard you may inevitably get into really awful situations at some point on your playthrough.

If you are playing on PC, keyboard all the way. Don't even think about using the mouse. Just play the game like you would do with the classics.

Finally, HD Textures or other mods that you may find here could be left for some other time. I think the game is graphically nice as it is, but if you feel improved visuals may enhance your first time playing AOD, use them.
__________________
Honesty is in great demand but seldom do people accept it.
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:25   #3
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
I think patches are a must because I've heard you may inevitably get into really awful situations at some point on your playthrough.

If you are playing on PC, keyboard all the way. Don't even think about using the mouse. Just play the game like you would do with the classics.

Finally, HD Textures or other mods that you may find here could be left for some other time. I think the game is graphically nice as it is, but if you feel improved visuals may enhance your first time playing AOD, use them.
Thanks so much! I’ll keep the regular textures because I enjoy those a bit more, but I will get Sasho’s control patch.
__________________
“Happy retirement.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 16:42   #4
Zreen001
Professor
 
Zreen001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 2,558
Default

There are a couple puzzles that are a bit difficult with Sasho's controls patch, I think the Breath of Hades in Hall of Seasons is the most egregious, just be careful, otherwise everything else's good. You can even skip most of Wrath of the Beast with the instant running-jumping.
__________________
College Grad studying Film Score and Screenplay. TR Fanatic.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:01   #5
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,809
Default

I barely started, and I was going to ask if you could disable the walk-run mode? Because when I want to start running, I don’t want to start off walking first. (I apologize if this is out in the open in the setup or something and I missed it. )
__________________
“Happy retirement.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:03   #6
red_lion
Historian
 
red_lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I barely started, and I was going to ask if you could disable the walk-run mode? Because when I want to start running, I don’t want to start off walking first. (I apologize if this is out in the open in the setup or something and I missed it. )
You can walk, you can run. What more do you want
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:07   #7
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_lion View Post
You can walk, you can run. What more do you want
I want the ability to not be able to wait through a walking transition into a run. I just want to start running. Not walk then start running.
__________________
“Happy retirement.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:15   #8
SunDormant
Archaeologist
 
SunDormant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Argentina
Posts: 1,891
Default

I think that mostly happens when, before Lara starts running, you press left or right. If you just push forward, Lara won't start walking, but will immediately run.

Yes, it's awful that you have to do that when in all other TRs you can just press whatever you want xD
__________________
Honesty is in great demand but seldom do people accept it.
SunDormant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:17   #9
NoahCrofRaider
Professor
 
NoahCrofRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 3,809
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDormant View Post
I think that mostly happens when, before Lara starts running, you press left or right. If you just push forward, Lara should not start walking but will immediately run.

Yes, it's awful that you have to do that when in all other TRs you can just press whatever you want xD
Gah. XD I’ll just have to live with it then. I’m so excited for this playthrough though. I’ve wanted to play AoD for such a long time, but I never got around to it.
__________________
“Happy retirement.”
NoahCrofRaider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-18, 17:29   #10
red_lion
Historian
 
red_lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
Gah. XD I’ll just have to live with it then. I’m so excited for this playthrough though. I’ve wanted to play AoD for such a long time, but I never got around to it.
Or you can download the multipatcher from Nakamichi680. See here: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=310

Quote:
- Added Lag Free Walk Mode: removes the delay between pressing "WALK" key and "LEFT CURSOR" or "RIGHT CURSOR" keys required to perform a side step. On Sasho's versions this fix applies to step back too. Working with both keyboard and gamepad.
red_lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.