Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-01-17, 20:23   #24121
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Crazy View Post
XV is potentially one of my top 3 FF soundtracks, so much goodness and very reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts but more mature sounding (yes I know, same composer )
Where is Ardyn's theme?

It's my favourite! (and its darker version is awesome too)
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:45   #24122
ultima espio

It's reminding me of Lightning returns a bit, with all the quests and stuff. Loving it, but only on chapter 8 so far.
ultima espio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 11:18   #24123
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultima espio View Post
It's reminding me of Lightning returns a bit, with all the quests and stuff. Loving it, but only on chapter 8 so far.
Chapter 9 onwards it'll remind you of XIII's first 10 chapters instead
Old 12-01-17, 14:17   #24124
suli
Inactive

Can't believe how much I'm enjoying this game. I never touched a FF game before, I always thought they were complicated. but I'm really loving this. any ideas what FF game to play next after I finish this? I heard that FF9 is like the pinnacle of the series.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 14:39   #24125
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
Can't believe how much I'm enjoying this game. I never touched a FF game before, I always thought they were complicated. but I'm really loving this. any ideas what FF game to play next after I finish this? I heard that FF9 is like the pinnacle of the series.
Glad you're enjoying it!

It truly is one hell of a game! (and it'll continue to mutate into something better, according to creator Hajime Tabata, with new updates and tweaks and its DLCs)

About the other games, the general consensus is that VII is the pinnacle of the series. I can't say I agree, I find IX MUCH better (and the one with the best locations and soundtrack, among other perfect things it delivers).

Go for IX. It's incredible. Though don't expect a dynamic battle system. Plus it's nothing like XV (no other entry is).

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 12-01-17 at 14:41.
Old 12-01-17, 14:43   #24126
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
Glad you're enjoying it!

It truly is one hell of a game! (and it'll continue to mutate into something better, according to creator Hajime Tabata, with new updates and tweaks and its DLCs)

About the other games, the general consensus is that VII is the pinnacle of the series. I can't say I agree, I find IX MUCH better (and the one with the best locations and soundtrack, among other perfect things it delivers).

Go for IX. It's incredible. Though don't expect a dynamic battle system. Plus it's nothing like XV (no other entry is).
I'll go for it. I'm dreading the battle system though.
Old 12-01-17, 15:04   #24127
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:
I'll go for it. I'm dreading the battle system though.

I personally like it, but it feels like a downgrade after VIII's.

Which consoles do you have?

If you have a PS3 or PS4, you can get X/X-2 remaster (an awesome game and, IMO, its awesome sequel). And XII is getting a rerelease soon too (and it has many similarities with XV and a more dynamic battle system). You have options.
Old 12-01-17, 15:38   #24128
suli
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
I personally like it, but it feels like a downgrade after VIII's.

Which consoles do you have?

If you have a PS3 or PS4, you can get X/X-2 remaster (an awesome game and, IMO, its awesome sequel). And XII is getting a rerelease soon too (and it has many similarities with XV and a more dynamic battle system). You have options.
omg I was looking on the net and the x/x2 remaster caught my attention. I will be getting that next as I don't feel like resurrecting my old PSs back from death. I read about FF12 remaster but can you clarify what this zodiac thingy is? I thought it was a new mode or something.
Old 12-01-17, 19:03   #24129
Hyper_Crazy

Quote:
omg I was looking on the net and the x/x2 remaster caught my attention. I will be getting that next as I don't feel like resurrecting my old PSs back from death. I read about FF12 remaster but can you clarify what this zodiac thingy is? I thought it was a new mode or something.
Zodiac Age is a HD port of the International Zodiac Job System version of XII which was never released outside of Japan. Quite a few things have been tweaked from the base game: you must now pick a class when a character joins the party, different LP boards for different classes, different items spawn, trial mode, new game+, new game-, etc etc etc.

It feels like a more definitive version IMO, though I know plenty who prefer the vanilla XII.
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-17, 21:29   #24130
Yuna´s Wish

Quote:

In the original version every character ended up being quite similar to each other, except for a few differences in stats: everyone would eventually be able to use white magic (cure spells), time magic (to make your party's actions quicker or to make the enemy's slower), black magic (Fire, Blizzard, etc., all those spells that "Elemancy" in FFXV mainly addresses), weapons (everyone would be proficient with swords, poles, guns, spears, bows...), abilities, commands, etc. There is only one License Board (kind of like XV's Ascension menu, similar concept) for all characters (or six identical Boards, in a sense).

The Zodiac version, however, makes you choose a Zodiac sign for each character. And each Zodiac sign has its own License Board. For example, one guy could be a Leo, but he'd never ever learn white magic (because the Leo License Board doesn't have any), yet he would excel at black magic. A Virgo character might be good with swords, but he might not know how to use spears...

...I made up the entire example, but it'd be something like that. Choosing different Zodiac signs for each character leads to very different (capablity-wise) characters.

And then you have additions that don't change the gameplay in a drastic manner or are entirely optional, like a button to make time go faster (and thus makes traversing landscapes less of an ordeal), or modes to start with Lvl 99 or with low and static levels (your characters never level up, always remaining at levels 1, 2 or 3 through all your game). All these are optional, but there is no way to escape the Zodiac system (not that I know of, at least).