Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 15-01-17, 08:56   #41
Zreen001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3_Gamer View Post
I made it through Von Beck's Revenge in about an hour of trying. Yeah !

Now at the last location: "The Netherworld" and only 3 levels to go before I finish the game !

Congratulations!

Be sure to take note of how long each pillar does its thing, and watch out for the floating, blue, kamehameha ball shooting, resurrecting skeleton.

By the way, do you think Mei-Ying's character was totally under-utilized? She was terrific in Prague, Istanbul, and the Emperor's Tomb, but other than that she just became... well, a forgettable damsel in distress. Personally, first time I played it, I completely forgot about saving Mei-Ying while going through the Peng-Lai Base levels until he brought it up again right before Black Dragon Fortress.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 09:48   #42
PS3_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post

Congratulations!

Be sure to take note of how long each pillar does its thing, and watch out for the floating, blue, kamehameha ball shooting, resurrecting skeleton.

By the way, do you think Mei-Ying's character was totally under-utilized? She was terrific in Prague, Istanbul, and the Emperor's Tomb, but other than that she just became... well, a forgettable damsel in distress. Personally, first time I played it, I completely forgot about saving Mei-Ying while going through the Peng-Lai Base levels until he brought it up again right before Black Dragon Fortress.
Thank you for the tips Zreen001. Yes I also think that Mei-Ying doesn't bring alot to the game besides fighting by your side a few times, and I did forget about her also. But even though they might have missed so opportunities I can forgive this since the game is good enough as it is with decent graphics for the time, good sounds, and lots of locations to visit. The gameplay is also pretty good with a few things I liked less, and the game is long enough.

There are quite a few games that I didn't complete on the PS2 because they where too hard and frustrating. But even if this one does get frustrating at times I was hooked when I got to Prague and I knew I would probably play it to the end. I'm not sure if I will play it again when I finish it though as some levels are frustrating, require precision and are time consuming. But I'm glad I bought and played it.
PS3_Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 17:17   #43
King.Louie

After watching a few gameplay videos I notice they used the same engine as the Buffy the vampire slayer game. Half of his movements were copy and pasted right from the game. The real difference is Buffy plays 10x better.
King.Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-17, 23:37   #44
PS3_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by King.Louie View Post
After watching a few gameplay videos I notice they used the same engine as the Buffy the vampire slayer game. Half of his movements were copy and pasted right from the game. The real difference is Buffy plays 10x better.
It's true that the controls aren't the best and you can't move Indy in a precise manner but after a while you do get used to the controls. I also played the Bufffy game on my PS2 but I got stuck somewhere and decided I would resume the game at a later time. From what i've seen so far, the Buffy game is more combat oriented than the Indy game which is also platforming and puzzles. But they're both good games imo.
Old 17-01-17, 04:13   #45
PS3_Gamer

I just finished the game ! I'm a little dissapointed with the ending, the game ends quickly once you defeat the last boss. But it was a nice gaming experience and i'm glad i've played it. I wouldn't say it's the best game i've played including all platforms but it's one of my favorites for the PS2, though it isn't perfect.

Only including games for the PS2 I would rate this game about a 7 or 8 out of ten.
Old 18-01-17, 00:55   #46
Zreen001

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS3_Gamer View Post
I just finished the game ! I'm a little dissapointed with the ending, the game ends quickly once you defeat the last boss. But it was a nice gaming experience and i'm glad i've played it. I wouldn't say it's the best game i've played including all platforms but it's one of my favorites for the PS2, though it isn't perfect.

Only including games for the PS2 I would rate this game about a 7 or 8 out of ten.
Yeah, the ending's a bit lackluster. My favorite parts has to be most of Ceylon, most of Prague, beginning of Istanbul, the Hong Kong diner theater, the Black Dragon Catacombs, and much of Emperor's Tomb levels.

Glad you enjoyed it! It's a classic. I end up replaying it every few years.

I listen to the soundtrack on YouTube sometimes. It's awesome.
Zreen001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-17, 04:17   #47
PS3_Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zreen001 View Post
Yeah, the ending's a bit lackluster. My favorite parts has to be most of Ceylon, most of Prague, beginning of Istanbul, the Hong Kong diner theater, the Black Dragon Catacombs, and much of Emperor's Tomb levels.

Glad you enjoyed it! It's a classic. I end up replaying it every few years.

I listen to the soundtrack on YouTube sometimes. It's awesome.
I like mostly the same parts as you do. What I didn't really like are the levels with the enemies with flamethrowers, The Peng Lai Mountain levels, The Kraken, and Von Beck's Revenge level.

I will take a look at the soundtrack on Youtube because I liked the music pretty much also. Thanks !
Old 07-02-17, 05:16   #48
PS3_Gamer

Hi ! I've enjoyed this game so much on the PS2 that I just got the PC version. I chose the french version as I played the english version on the PS2 and was curious. I find Indy's french voice is quite fitting and sounds good. I still have a bit of a problem with the mouse/keyboard controls but it ain't so bad, but it makes the game a bit harder. This game had a strange effect on me as I keep thinking about it since I first played it, it's like an obsession !

I made a video capture of me playing the first level just for fun. Here it is:

Last edited by PS3_Gamer; 07-02-17 at 05:19.
Old 13-02-17, 14:17   #49
lcroft_lc

It was damn hard but was sooo good. I love the stealth mission. The use of rope and navigation was fantastic, as well as.
lcroft_lc is offline   Reply With Quote