Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures, Shows and Shorts

Old 06-11-16, 14:48   #3421
Tonyrobinson

In fairness in the game I thought them killing off Sam would have added more depth to Lara's character being more of a lone wolf.

Whilst I didn't particularly like them killing Amelia off because she was the main goal for three games I certainly thought that Lara would be the only survivor with the talks about sacrifices being made.

I assumed Lara would have to sacrifice Sam for the greater good to get off the island as a sole survivor, all of her friends dead around her and her being picked up by the press as a Tomb Raider and sole survivor of a freak TV show accident. I can sort of understand why they kept Sam alive though.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 15:01   #3422
Zebra

^Lara's mum being alive would've been so awesome. But, of course, that would've meant her parents broke up or her dad cheated on her mum with Ana and that would've probably painted him in too bad a light for their "Hollywood" sensibilities.

Just imagine it, though, her mum having had a falling out with her father, thinking he's a crazy workaholic, Lara and her not getting along because Lara used to put her dad up on a pedestal (obviously, she got disillusioned with him after he killed himself but by then the damage had been done), her mum disapproving of Lara becoming an archaeologist, etc. I still wouldn't have liked it as much as the TR1-6 backstories but at least it would've had more depth and less clichés.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-16, 18:16   #3423
shockwave_pulsar00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
^If that were the case, though, I'd just say so outright rather than presenting other reasons. I genuinely think her being the "chosen one" is a cheesy, bad plot device.
I was joking, but I can partly agree. I think it's probably the fact that it's "too convenient", more so than cheesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
In fairness in the game I thought them killing off Sam would have added more depth to Lara's character being more of a lone wolf.

Whilst I didn't particularly like them killing Amelia off because she was the main goal for three games I certainly thought that Lara would be the only survivor with the talks about sacrifices being made.

I assumed Lara would have to sacrifice Sam for the greater good to get off the island as a sole survivor, all of her friends dead around her and her being picked up by the press as a Tomb Raider and sole survivor of a freak TV show accident. I can sort of understand why they kept Sam alive though.
The problem is, making her the only survivor would probably be even more cliché. It's kind of a superficial way to make her a loner.
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-22, 22:17   #3424
Tonyrobinson

I thought we could maybe revive this thread because if the recent news to keep all the fan castings in one place and stop the other threads from being spammed with suggestions.

It's gonna be a while before we hear who fills those boots but why not throw some suggestions out in the meantime.

The ideal actress for me would be in their late 20s to early 40s, I'd like to see a Lara who is a bit more matured and established and already into her Tomb Raiding profession and renown.

Last edited by Tonyrobinson; 29-07-22 at 22:19.
Old 30-07-22, 04:20   #3425
GeekOfComedy

You know; this is difficult because the landscape for ingenue actresses hasn’t changed much since 2016.

Unless Lara Croft is re-cast to be much older (and that will be tough because then people will just say why not get Jolie) I still can’t think of anyone who could play Lara better than Vikander. It’s going to be tough for any actress to take the role after her and not be seen as “discount” unless they are very different.

Someone on twitter said Mehwish Hayat and if they can do a British accent; that could be a great choice as she was great on Ms. Marvel. But I’m telling you, any actress on the rise who’s in the same age range or look of Vikander will be reluctant to take it because they’ll just be the Non-Oscar winning version that the studio got on the cheap. Like Lily James can’t be Lara Croft; her and Vikander are constantly battling for the same gigs since Cinderella and she’s just gonna get compared and that’s not fair on her.

The more I think about it; the more it could Hayley Atwell but only for a Series. Unless the same studio can book her a job in the meantime and invest in PR money to win her an Oscar; her profile as is wont be enough to command a $100M+ movie. She’s to be in MI7 so she needs to blow everyone’s socks off in that to have a good fighting chance but Rebecca Ferugeson killed it in the past two movies and she only got a support in DUNE.

Now another piece of the puzzle is someone who Graham King approves of. He’s a good producer so he ain’t gonna take anyone with an IMDB page.

But if you’s think that is just armchair expertise then here are your serious contenders in order of most likely to get the gig (IMO):

ALICIA VIKANDER - The film industry; and surprisingly, now fans love her so every studio would be happy to have her as she’s an industry darling. After winning an Oscar, the 2nd smartest thing she did was star in THE GREEN KNIGHT because Hollywood ate that up. Also, up against Black Panther in 2018; she still made $275M and she hasn’t pissed off China; she gets a movie! Nothing more than a $120M but she’d have a movie. New contract and a pay day!

ANGELINA JOLIE - I’m betting Paramount is on the phone to her right now asking if they can attach her to their bid to get the IP. She also plays in China but the budget would be capped at $150M max after Maleficent 2 struggled to break even at around $200M. Actually, Vikander made more than Jolie in China. She's looking to make a come back. The Eternals did not work out and there's no room for her to appear in any film up-to Marvel Phase 6 as that character doesn't fit any of the stories. Gal Gadot is taking everything from her; I think now she'd be delighted to play Lara again. I think she'd take the job just to spite any chance of Gadot having it and thank god for that! New contract and she makes Cradle of Life fortunes.

MILLIE BOBBY BROWN - Netflix movie Shoe-in. I don’t think I need to explain this one. Only actress I can think of famous enough to lead a movie and not need an Oscar attached to her name.

ANA DE ARMAS - Depends on how well her John Wick spin-off does but the most likely in the race-bending category!

DAKOTA JOHNSON - Big budget Netflix movie. She used Jane Austen to practice the accent and now she has a big MCU movie coming out. I think she would do it. The odds of her becoming an Oscar Nominee are really solid this year. She’s working hard to get that Oscar and that gets you a big movie!

LILY JAMES - She’s basically a discount Vikander. Now I love Lily James, she killed it as Pammy and if she can get an Emmy for that; that will help her A LOT to getting Lara Croft as a “streaming series” - not a movie. But she will be seen as discount Vikander. Be great for her though; management will tell her she could be like Henry Cavill in Witcher.

HAYLEY ATWELL - I think Lily James would have a bigger shot at getting the gig. But if Netflix buys the bid; CD already approved Atwell to voice Lara for the anime. I can see this happening as a streaming series. If Atwell does manage to get a movie; be very low budget nothing more than $60M like a Jovovich RESI film and for a Streamer; no cinema release. (It also sounds like if the bidding war is that intense the production budget be bigger than 60!)

SANDRA BULLOCK - I know. I can’t believe I wrote that but she has worked on THE UNFORGIVABLE for Netflix; the relationship with GK is there. I can see a Movie with Bullock either from Netflix or a Studio. The wrinkle here is that Bullock doesn’t really do franchise work so it’s down on the list.

VANESSA KIRBY - Maybe Universal Pictures would gamble with her on a big budget movie after Hobbs and Shaw?

JENNIFER LOPEZ - I’m not joking. She has a big budget action’er coming out on Netflix (written by THE Misha Green) and another for cinema release. The potential here is that Studios/GK might think they need an actress with a “new look” that doesn’t look like Vikander OR Jolie so they race-bend.

HOYEON JUNG - Squid Game break out’s first blockbuster release. She’d look AMAZING as an Asian-British Lara. Like Lopez; would be race-bend. She’s so famous from Squid Game and attached to being Lara; I think she could get a theatrical release with a big budget.

MARGOT ROBBIE - She needs a new franchise. I don’t think she’ll ever do Pirates; Harley Quinn is dead (1 success, 2 fails). She’s been practicing her British accent since she played Queen Elizabeth. The wrinkle here is with Barbie and everything else; you might have a public of reaction of “She can’t be the lead of everything”

DAISY RIDLEY - I guess but she's very "un-tested" outside of Star Wars so maybe a streaming series? Unless Disney buys TOMB RAIDER then they could give Ridley a movie!

Now ONE IDEA and it’d be a miracle to pull off but if they wanted another young Caucasian actress that can stand out… JENNIFER LAWRENCE. It’s going to soon be 10 years since her last Hunger Games; the new Lara will be using guns and not bows and she’s looking to make a comeback. This would actually work! Huge budget for the film, Huge pay day for Lawrence doing what she does best; that could work! Similar demographic to Vikander but so much more famous there would be no comparison!

Out of the list; personally I'd only like Vikander; Bobby Brown; HoYeon Jung, Jolie and Lawrence in that order. Dakota Johnson is a huge possibility and I love her but she is not right AT ALL for Lara. I also LOVE Lily James which is why I don't want her to be Lara; she'll be too scrutinised against Vikander and I don't want that for her.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 30-07-22 at 19:55.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 07:55   #3426
PinkyPromise

Emma Waton: British, she did the casting for BlackWidow

Emilia Clarke: She was already a finalist for TR2018

Anya Taylor-Joy: She is currently the most in-demand actress.

Gal Gadot: She is taking the roles of Angelina Jolie (Cleopatra for example)

Gemma Arterton she is perfect

In any case, it is possible that there will be new popular actresses when the movie is a reality.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 30-07-22 at 07:59.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 08:53   #3427
Tonyrobinson

If they go younger Florence Pugh, Anya Taylor Joy or Millie Bobby Brown will probably be likely candidates. I'd also say Daisy Ridley but there isn't a huge demand for her at the moment.

If they do a lower budget movie with a more racially diverse lead then I wouldn't mind seeing Nathalie Emmanuel in the role. She has the correct features to me to pull it off.

I would love Hayley Atwell or Gemma Arterton in the role I think they'd be my top picks because they're how I imagine a real life classic Lara to look.

I think they'll avoid the origin story and go with an established Lara who is already an archaeologist, the only logical way to reboot is to bring it back to basics in my opinion.
Old 30-07-22, 10:32   #3428
Rai

I don't quite understand why Alicia has to go? I know we as fans can only speculate. Is it because she was tied to the 2018 movie and as it's a reboot, they're going all out? Surely even with a reboot, it's still Lara, perhaps they're going the way of the games and going with an older, more experienced Lara? But they were already going that way with Misha's script jumping ahead a few years. And Alicia is in her early 30s now, so she's at the age Lara could be. Was Alicia contracted through MGM, so that's why?

Honestly, I'm still hopeful that the studio who wins the bid will see the potential in Alicia still.

I don't watch a lot of movies due to cost, so I'm not really familiar with many actresses. For example, the actress who's playing Marilyn, I've never heard of her, where the heck did she come from? To be fair, if it's a reboot and that's why they're recasting, then AJ should also be excluded. She's known as Lara even more than Alicia was to the general public.

To me, unless we're talking an origin story, like TR2018, Lara's at her best in her late 20s to early or mid 30s, so an actress who fits that age range. British preferably, or an actress who's known to be able to do convincing accents. I dunno. Sometimes an actress can be chosen that the fans are sceptical over but they blow everyone's socks off when it comes to the actual performance.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 12:49   #3429
.snake.

Is it confirmed though that Misha's script jumped ahead a few years?
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-22, 13:27   #3430
Cezar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Now another piece of the puzzle is someone who Graham King approves of. He’s a good producer so he ain’t gonna take anyone with an IMDB page.
Really? Graham King is the worst thing that happened to this film. He's responsible for daddy issues in the previous movie. I really hate this guy.

You've forgotten about Gal Gadot. IMHO she would be the best Lara, except Angelina
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote