Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 17-04-18, 00:19   #171
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
She doesn't hate tombs. It's was an in the moment kind of thing, partly to take into account what she'd just been through, but also as a little fun ironic line considering where she's headed character-wise. Seconds later she turns and realises she's found Himiko's tomb and is almost gushing over the murals and the sarcophagus. It's not to be taken seriously.
I loved that line and it drew a big smile on my face. It was like “girl, you have no idea what’s going to happen to you in a few years”. Such a simple yet effective line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I don't think the "I hate tombs!" line was so horribly offensive as people make it out, it was a gag and people were just throwing fake outrage at it.
Anyone with the capacity to understand irony could appreciate the moment for what it was. Others chose to ignore the purpose of it so that they could keep on hating the game.

Last edited by iWANEX; 17-04-18 at 00:30.
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 05:32   #172
Zael

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
...She also shows a huge variety of emotions: fear, determination, sadness, anger, etc. She's a multi-layered character now... I don't want any of it to go away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
...There’s nothing to really indicate she enjoys danger, let alone that it’s become a problem or an addiction, though there’s plenty of shots of her looking miserable while she’s in it. I like reboot Lara, but they need something in Shadow that tells us, "okay, she’s not just shuffling along to survive/validate herself/prove her dad right, she’s enjoying it, cool." In my mind, it could be as simple as Lara laughing at the absurdity of something, like Jolie sledding out with the wolves in the first movie...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
She’s excited to find the prophet’s tomb because it’s a step on the path leading her to validation, not because she enjoyed the journey... in the Croft Manor scene she’s fuelled by desperation ("I can’t give up on him, it’s all I have"), she doesn’t come across as excited but instead hopelessly obsessed. She expresses not knowing "what I’ll do" if the Source turns out not to be real, which sounded almost dark to me. She needs it to be, because her heart isn’t in it for the adventure yet, not the kind she can expect out in the real world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
...I'm not totally against the LAU and Reboot narratives of giving her deeper reasons to do what she does, but I especially love how she used to have that really strong love of danger and I hope she gets it back eventually.
In this context, it may be worthwhile to briefly note: storytelling ambition and storytelling quality are not one and the same thing.

If the characters in a given story (1) experience a wide range of emotions, and the characters in the story (2) are written with the intent of portraying gradual change/development/maturation, both of those facts certainly count as evidence of a high level of storytelling ambition, but they do not guarantee a high level of storytelling quality: many perfectly dull, overambitious stories exist, whose characters nonetheless have a wide range of emotions.

If someone offers constructive criticism of the storytelling quality in one or more of the Reboot games ("...that particular emotion did not make the most sense in that particular scenario..."), that's not necessarily an indication that the person fails to acknowledge that the Reboot games have a higher level of storytelling ambition (i.e., that Lara now has a wider range of emotions than she did before), nor does it mean that they reject all forms of storytelling ambition (i.e., it doesn't mean they would be unhappy with anything/everything other than 'Classic Lara').

Last edited by Zael; 17-04-18 at 05:42.
Zael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 14:52   #173
dcw123

Gonna say it...

I hated the " I hate tombs" line in 2013.
Bear with me.
It isn't the line itself .. its when she says it and the delivery..

She says it, then INSTANTLY turns around and magically is in wonder and suddenly loves tombs and finds them interesting (she is standing in one)

Now, if she had said the line earlier in the game.. that would have made more sense IMO
Thank God Rise improved on such gaffs.. though I hope the writing improves for Shadow
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-18, 23:32   #174
TheShadowOfMe

^ You've missed the point.
TheShadowOfMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-18, 00:36   #175
iWANEX
Golden

I agree. We were just talking about it a couple of posts before. Some people may find it a little bit cheesy but not liking it for the reasons mentioned by dcw123 is clearly missing the point of the scene in general. But hey, everyone's got an opinion.
Old 29-04-18, 00:46   #176
iWANEX
Golden

I'm reviving this thread now that it's confirmed that the render is indeed the official cover. I would love for Rai or anyone who attended the Shadow event to give us their opinion on what they said about the whole trilogy and Lara's journey. Are the things that I mentioned in the OP (about her poses, the color palette, etc.), something they released deliberately?
Old 29-04-18, 00:53   #177
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
I'm reviving this thread now that it's confirmed that the render is indeed the official cover. I would love for Rai or anyone who attended the Shadow event to give us their opinion on what they said about the whole trilogy and Lara's journey. Are the things that I mentioned in the OP (about her poses, the color palette, etc.), something they released deliberately?
It was deliberate. I've actually talked about it on my gathered info thread. In one of the interviews one of the devs talked about this.

My info on my thread

- Three covers [of Tomb Raider (2013), Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider] were shown at the event, so you see a coherent transformation - This was actually discussed in a thread and it turned out to be true! The vision that Eidos had! Yay!
Someone who’s just like, “I need to get out of this bad situation,” to someone who’s exploring, to someone who’s on a mission and she’s super focused and that power that she’s grown with is becoming a danger

This was in an interview I’ve read online
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 01:10   #178
Rai

I just want to confirm what Vaskito said. In the presentation I saw, the devs talked about the pillars and Lara's story and how it's all reflected in her evolution. I think they said something along the lines of Survivor/hunted-Explorer/Hunter-Tomb Raider/Predator. Also how on Yamatai she'd gone there with a more scientific view and being thrown into the the adventure, discovering the supernatural element, then looking for further proof in Rise on her first tomb raiding adventure, but she was still new at it, but in Shadow, she's prepared, powerful and will have a defining moment.

Last edited by Rai; 29-04-18 at 01:17.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 01:21   #179
Vaskito

Quote:
I just want to confirm what Vaskito said. In the presentation I saw, the devs talked about the pillars and Lara's story and how it's all reflected in her evolution. I think they said something along the lines of Survivor/hunted-Explorer/Hunter-Tomb Raider/Predator. Also how on Yamatai she'd gone there with a more scientific view and being thrown into the the adventure, discovering the supernatural element, then looking for further proof in Rise on her first tomb raiding adventure, but she was still new at it, but in Shadow, she's prepared, powerful and will have a defining moment.
This has me so hyped up and happy at the same time because this was my conclusion when I finished Rise. It matches my conclusions/expectations. This also shows the trilogy was always planned, unlike what people were suggesting on the dual pistols thread

Last edited by Vaskito; 29-04-18 at 01:22.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-18, 01:24   #180
2001LC20
Inactive

Quote:
Also how on Yamatai she'd gone there with a more scientific view and being thrown into the the adventure, discovering the supernatural element, then looking for further proof in Rise on her first tomb raiding adventure, but she was still new at it, but in Shadow, she's prepared, powerful and will have a defining moment.
Dow we have something in common actually! Wow that's good
Anyhoo... People makes me think how it is that hard to understand this trilogy nonsense imo
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote