www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 17-04-18, 19:35   #1
biscuits
Archaeologist

Default Tomb Raider: For Better, or Worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idptXNxGr7s

I thought this was an interesting video that covered what the reboot's strengths and weaknesses are. Most of his criticisms concerning the gameplay echo my own. I do think that the game is too easy as a result of following modern gaming trends. That doesn't take anything from the game when it comes to fun factor (at least for me, your mileage might vary).

The guy in the video doesn't seem to mind the changes to Lara's character or the story as much as other older fans seem to though. I liked how he thought one main theme in the game's narrative was confidence and how it factored into Lara's character arc. I agreed with him on that front, as I genuinely adored TR2013's narrative and Lara's characterization.

One thing that resonated with me in the video was how he stated that video games have lost their identity due to how realistic they keep getting, and how Tomb Raider has fallen victim to that. I've been gradually losing interest in gaming as a whole because of this. I don't really like the ultra serious and cinematic direction most games have been going in. I find myself playing less and less games nowadays. Ever since games have been trying so hard to be taken seriously as an art form I started losing interest in them. It's less about being fun and more about being taken as seriously as movies or TV.

Last edited by biscuits; 17-04-18 at 19:38.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 20:32   #2
larafan25
Legend

I agree about the realism thing, Tomb Raider should return to it's original style.

Old 17-04-18, 20:56   #3
Yeauxleaux
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
One thing that resonated with me in the video was how he stated that video games have lost their identity due to how realistic they keep getting, and how Tomb Raider has fallen victim to that. I've been gradually losing interest in gaming as a whole because of this. I don't really like the ultra serious and cinematic direction most games have been going in. I find myself playing less and less games nowadays. Ever since games have been trying so hard to be taken seriously as an art form I started losing interest in them. It's less about being fun and more about being taken as seriously as movies or TV.
I agree with that too.

I will say, I'm not totally anti-realism. I think there's a place for different kinds of media and different kinds of characters. I was actually living for the realism trend when it was a new thing in the late 2000s/early 2010s, it's just become so ubiquitous to me that the lure of it has been killed.

However, now I miss larger-than-life characters. I genuinely like seeing aspirational characters who it would be very difficult, if not outright impossible, to emulate in real life. That's fun to me. I don't need everything to be super "relatable", sometimes the entertainment is in the escapism; seeing and playing as people who I could never be in real life. That's what makes a character special or interesting in some cases. This is why I (personally) prefer classic and LAU Lara over Reboot Lara, who I find to be a vapid product of obsessive "relatability" and normality.

When it comes to gaming, I think we've sacrificed innovative and fun gameplay in favour of making games look pretty. That's what improving gaming technology of the last 10-15 years has mostly been centred around; making them look prettier. The AI isn't really significantly better than it was 20 years ago, and many people have repeatedly commented that AAA games are feeling heavily dumbed down and too easy these days. That's what's led to the artistic "decline" of the gaming industry, if you will.

For me, this is why I'm starting to understand the love some Westerners have of Japanese games and media in general. Where Western media has fell into obsession with "realism!" at the expense of creativity and fun, a lot of Asian media has remained quite outrageously unrealistic and escapist (look at anime for obvious examples of that).

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-04-18 at 21:07.
Yeauxleaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 21:09   #4
HD Simplicityy
Explorer

Games can be fun and have realistic/cinematic experiences, and can be validated as an art form like tv and film. Yes this generation and part of the lat was more focused on visuals and cinematic presentation. As long as I had fun I liked that. The dumbing down part is from a business and design perspective. I understand you loosing interest in games because of this. I say, however, it can all be done as long as developers have vision, time and resources to accomplish making awesome experiences, each game having something of its own that makes it stand out and/or making it similar to another games.
Old 17-04-18, 21:34   #5
biscuits
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Simplicityy View Post
Games can be fun and have realistic/cinematic experiences, and can be validated as an art form like tv and film. Yes this generation and part of the lat was more focused on visuals and cinematic presentation. As long as I had fun I liked that. The dumbing down part is from a business and design perspective. I understand you loosing interest in games because of this. I say, however, it can all be done as long as developers have vision, time and resources to accomplish making awesome experiences, each game having something of its own that makes it stand out and/or making it similar to another games.
I'm not totally against realism. GTA 5 is one of my all time favorite games.
My point was that games already were an art form, at least in my opinion. Concept art, musical scores, environmental design, storytelling and all other aspects that make up a game is enough to cement it as an art form in my opinion. Games don't need to prove themselves. Unfortunately that's the vibe I've been getting from them.

You could make the argument that Tomb Raider has changed completely because of this. What was once a campy universe with a somewhat larger than life character has followed the trend of making its character somewhat grounded and relatable. I always saw CORE Lara as the type of character who'd say "Hey!! I'm Lara Croft. Let's explore ruins together and have fun!". But with games progressing Lara had to have some deep motivation in order to justify why she does what she does. I'm not saying it bothers me by the way. I was simply pointing out.
biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-18, 22:55   #6
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I agree with that too.

I will say, I'm not totally anti-realism. I think there's a place for different kinds of media and different kinds of characters. I was actually living for the realism trend when it was a new thing in the late 2000s/early 2010s, it's just become so ubiquitous to me that the lure of it has been killed.

However, now I miss larger-than-life characters. I genuinely like seeing aspirational characters who it would be very difficult, if not outright impossible, to emulate in real life. That's fun to me. I don't need everything to be super "relatable", sometimes the entertainment is in the escapism; seeing and playing as people who I could never be in real life. That's what makes a character special or interesting in some cases. This is why I (personally) prefer classic and LAU Lara over Reboot Lara, who I find to be a vapid product of obsessive "relatability" and normality.

When it comes to gaming, I think we've sacrificed innovative and fun gameplay in favour of making games look pretty. That's what improving gaming technology of the last 10-15 years has mostly been centred around; making them look prettier. The AI isn't really significantly better than it was 20 years ago, and many people have repeatedly commented that AAA games are feeling heavily dumbed down and too easy these days. That's what's led to the artistic "decline" of the gaming industry, if you will.

For me, this is why I'm starting to understand the love some Westerners have of Japanese games and media in general. Where Western media has fell into obsession with "realism!" at the expense of creativity and fun, a lot of Asian media has remained quite outrageously unrealistic and escapist (look at anime for obvious examples of that).
I agree 100%.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote