www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 19-05-18, 11:24   #21
EliParker
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
uhhhhhhhhh, noooooooo...

Yes
Unless the story itself or dialogue within the game states that Rise of the Tomb Raider happened the year prior, the comic book can still be seen as canon.

Edit: For the topic question - It would be neat to see Lara eavesdropping on Trinity (via a darkweb video conference) and that jumpstarts her search that leads to Mexico.

Last edited by EliParker; 19-05-18 at 11:32.
EliParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 11:33   #22
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo505 View Post
I feel like she’s going to say something cheesy like “I am Lara Croft, Tomb Raider”
I feel like I've heard something like that before...
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 14:17   #23
Moon-Safari
Relic Hunter

Dramatically like AOD, but I hope a little slower. I always hated the way AOD began. I need some kind of a ramp up to the action. Some intrigue and interest to get the adrenaline pumping before I'm dropped into a bunch of craziness.
Old 19-05-18, 14:18   #24
CrowdedToaster
Explorer

I feel like it would be very befitting to start the game with the ending, without much context of course. A major theme is that this game/story is the final piece to Lara's origin. Even the trailer says it through its title: "The Beginning of the End". With that being said, it would make sense they would make the beginning of the game start with the end, you know?

Also, this way of telling the story by beginning with the ending is a form of "in media res" called "foregone conclusion". It starts off by actually showing the conclusion, but writers can frame it so that the ending is shown with specific context that leaves out certain things in order to leave the ending up to interpretation. This way, it becomes more of a focus of "how did this all happen" and viewers can be more invested in experiencing how everything occurred while also being suspended in some disbelief over whether the ending is what it really was as they journey through the story.

This type of storytelling can also allow/lead to what is called "Prophecy Twist", wherein a foretold prophecy does occur but not in the way people expect it to. Considering the series' use of prophecies, this could very much happen in Shadow. Especially considering that Camilla and the other devs and writers have teased how dark/difficult the ending is. If the Maya Apocalypse is the prophecy, then perhaps the way it is foretold in the game won't really be the way we expect it to end. Maybe the Maya Apocalypse's foretold conclusion with the death of the Sun/solar eclipse is something else entirely. This twist can be done through metaphorical language, in which words used as metaphors allude to different interpretations and meanings. This was actually used in some way in TR2013, although through illustrations rather than metaphorical language. The one I'm talking about is specifically the ceremony/ritual of power. Lara and the player are made to initially believe that the ceremony displayed through those illustrations showed a young priestess being announced the new Queen. But it turned out that it was actually a transferrence of power, in which Himiko actually absorbed the priestess' soul to stay immortal and in power. Perhaps they will reuse these literary devices in Shadow, but with newer/fresher twists that aren't as predictable (at least, I hope so!)

Anyway, sorry for the long post! I just wanted to predict how this type of start to the game that we're talking about, in which we begin with the end, can be useful and what it can entail. I very much welcome it, especially BC it's fresh and not often used in cinema/games. I don't even think I have ever seen a game do this. Has there been any games to start with foregone conclusions?

Last edited by CrowdedToaster; 19-05-18 at 14:19.
CrowdedToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 14:40   #25
Grimaldi
Professor

Fantastic post, CrowdedToaster, you put it into words far better than I could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowdedToaster
Has there been any games to start with foregone conclusions?
Would Life is Strange count? It begins with a vision of a town being destoyed which can come to pass in one of the endings, just with more context.
Old 19-05-18, 15:15   #26
Vaskito
Professor

To be quite honest, I wish the game would start with "previously on Tomb Raider" and show the critical cinematic points of the previous two games, and I wish they would include some in-game rendered cinematics with some important stuff from the comics, to tie-in all. Then the game starts with Lara at the main hall of the fully restored Croft Manor, with all the wings open, where you have an option to go to the newly created Gym room to play the tutorial (therefore making it uneccessary for the tutorial to be in the main campaign), or you can ignore the gym/manor exploration and go right into Richard's office, where Jonah is waiting for Lara to discuss all the stuff they've discovered. Once you reach the office, the cinematic starts playing, leading into them travelling to Mexico, even showing a small light moment scene at the plane, like the flight attendant selling overpriced Jaffa Cakes. They land in Cozumel, and then the demo stuff people played kicks in.
Vaskito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 15:18   #27
jajay119
Tomb Raider

^That could be in the menu like it was for Legend and Anniversary in Underworld.

I don’t think any there to be a main menu. Just a ‘press start button’ and the game starts in the manor with a small cutscene. I’d like it to start with a training level in Croft Manor which turns into the main hub for the game, once you’ve trained and done a puzzle or something you can trigger a cutscene and the main story starts and Lara is off to Mexico and you can return to it throughout the game. Kinda like the menu for Rise but vastly interactive if you’ve played Just Cause 3 and seen how their menu screen works - kinda like that.

Last edited by jajay119; 19-05-18 at 15:21.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-18, 19:26   #28
CrowdedToaster
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
Fantastic post, CrowdedToaster, you put it into words far better than I could.

Would Life is Strange count? It begins with a vision of a town being destoyed which can come to pass in one of the endings, just with more context.
Thank you!

And oh right! I forgot Life is Strange did that. They did it in an interesting way I think, BC I personally wasn't aware it was actually the ending to the game and I was led to believe it was just a random vision vs the ending. Maybe Shadow will do that, in which it isn't as clear that the start we are seeing is actually towards the end of the game
CrowdedToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 06:01   #29
Nerdy
Historian

Holding the duals
Nerdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-18, 06:15   #30
JsotoTRSaga
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
Holding the duals