Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 08-08-13, 16:35   #12641
matrix54

Even the smallest of roads is a waste of precious space using bridges. If you're making an urban area, you have to account for all the space that needs bridge object. a 5x5 section of road is 25 objects and 25 triggers. That a waste of resources for a very small area.

Half Click would go up the middle of Lara's calf. Curbs stop at the ankle. Personally, I'd just have the road flat with a subtle shadow, for depth.

Can Meta2TR add collision?

speaking of small areas:

All of you know this is far from safe... I'd be terrified driving that close to someone.

-------------

According to Wikipedia, American lanes are about 3.5 meters wide. European Lanes are, minimum 2.5 meters.

Keeping with the proportions in the test photo, including space for decorative parking, the picture is proportionate to the UK, and actually much smaller than the American standard. Adding in another square would be perfect, but 5 is better than 4, for being realistic, but to save much needed space.

Last edited by matrix54; 08-08-13 at 16:48.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 17:20   #12642
disapearing-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix54 View Post
Even the smallest of roads is a waste of precious space using bridges. If you're making an urban area, you have to account for all the space that needs bridge object. a 5x5 section of road is 25 objects and 25 triggers. That a waste of resources for a very small area.
But only the sidewalk/foothpath would need the bridge objects/triggers... an old European city may only have a foothpath that's 1 click wide (although many cities rebuilt their streets to be wider after WWII since it was all demolished anyways) so a 5x5 section of road would need 5 bridges on the left and another 5 on the right (10 objects + 10 triggers).

Since you want wide sidewalks it's better to keep it flat and use textures with a bit of bump mapping for the edge to make it look raised. Your screens look great!

Quote:
All of you know this is far from safe... I'd be terrified driving that close to someone.
Here in Ireland we drive that close but our cars are smaller than those massive US ones. Some roads have two way traffic but are only wide enough for one car to pass at a time. That awkward moment while you wait to see who will reverse....

Last edited by disapearing-boy; 08-08-13 at 17:23.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 17:27   #12643
Niveus

We most certainly do drive that close here.

It is only a personal taste, of course, and it looks good nevertheless. Just maybe I am used to positively insignificant British villages and hamlets which are hundreds of years old, where many of the roads are just one car wide and have no markings. Like disappearing-boy said, it is acceptable to have two directions of traffic on these roads! But for the majority of the time, unless we are on an A road or a motorway, our roads are only two economical (as in, just wide enough for a car) lanes wide. It is usually illegal to park on roads because they have "double yellow lines" which prohibit parking, and certainly no one would ever consider parking on a dual carriageway in the urban centre because it is far to congested and busy.

Of course this perspective is from a small city in a backwards country, so maybe I have no clue about how roads work in the real world.

Last edited by Niveus; 08-08-13 at 17:35.
Niveus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 18:05   #12644
THOR2010

u dont need bridge objects, moving the floor down in the "floors and ceilings" object in meta changes the collision of the floor ingame
THOR2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 19:17   #12645
psiko

to cover a 5x5 sectors area you need 25 bridges and 25 triggers? OMG, not at all...

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...postcount=1277

only ONE bridge and only ONE trigger..
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 19:31   #12646
matrix54

I sorta learned something today.

Even with a shorter section of curb, it's still pretty high off the ground. A quarter click would be much more effective than a half, as curbs aren't as tall as the middle of Lara's calf.
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 19:37   #12647
Xopax

Many beautiful screenshots here

--------------------------------------------------

So i will post something too Because it have a little time that i don't post anything here.

Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 21:51   #12648
P.Carpet

A small teaser, just tested the new textures
P.Carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 00:07   #12649
THOR2010

Quote:
I sorta learned something today.

Even with a shorter section of curb, it's still pretty high off the ground. A quarter click would be much more effective than a half, as curbs aren't as tall as the middle of Lara's calf.
you might beable to do a half of a half click! i havent messed with meta2tr much!
THOR2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 10:03   #12650
Zebra

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Carpet View Post
A small teaser, just tested the new textures
Those textures are beautiful !
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote