Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 23-11-17, 01:22   #51
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

When I first encountered it decades ago I was pretty young and just kind of rolled with it. I guess I hadn't yet learned that all those wild animals running around in trap mazes in what looked like a subterranean structure was... fanciful.

It was one of the very hardest levels for me back then. Now it's a chore of endurance as it's so friggin' boring.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 16:51   #52
Nerd Brain

What bothered me the most in the Colosseum was Pierre showing up and firing at you for and you weren't able to kill him. Though it was quite a cool level for me.
But actually I have to say that I like the TR: Anniversary version more.
Nerd Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-17, 17:05   #53
Mickybyrne20

Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-17, 00:28   #54
Yeauxleaux

I thought it was an ok little level. I don't think every level can be a grand massive puzzle like Midas' Palace or St Francis Folly. If they had tried to do that, then they'd have quickly burned out of creative ideas long before AoD happened.

Yeah it wasn't one of the stand-out levels but, for what it was it was ok. I certainly don't hate it.

I think it's a good example (along with TR3's Caves of Kaliya) of a level with potentially great ideas behind it, that couldn't be realised with the graphical and technical limits. First off the colosseum was square, which made it feel less arena-like and more like a large cliff around the edges. Then, the black draw-distance, which meant you couldn't even see the damn thing for what it was, because it was such an impressive size. I think in theory it would be a level suited to a lot of combat as well - you're in the arena, so they could throw lots of beasts at you... yet combat wasn't TRs strong point, so that would have sucked.

Anniversary had a better go. At least they got it round.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 27-11-17 at 00:29.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-17, 14:39   #55
Baslakor

The coliseum itself was quite nice, as was the entrance, the animal cages and especially the VIP-box. Really felt like people actually lived and worked there. The other rooms felt more like an excuse for gameplay. I have the same problem with Midas Palace though, the hand is cool and it has some impressive rooms, but never does it feel like a palace, just lots of rooms and hallways to hide some keys. Folly was amazing, as was cistern. Tomb of Tibocan should just be cut and added to Cistern, which was a good choice in anniversary.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-17, 04:06   #56
Lara Coft Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Sophie View Post
After a year of completely neglecting TR, I dug out my old Tomb Raiders yesterday as I plan to have a lovely little re-run of the classics. So far, I'm up to St Francis Folly, what I consider a "majestic'' level (this title I only allocate to levels such as Palace Midas, Temple of Xian, Aldwych, etc.)

Then there's the Colosseum. The Colosseum I consider one of the most forgettable levels in TR history. Sure, the 'concept' of it is pretty impressive, but honestly to me, it has little to no redeeming qualities about it. It just feels like a 'filler' level. It's the only level in Tomb Raider 1 that I actually find really boring and can't wait till it's finished. I also can't stand Tomb of Qualopec, but at least it had some interesting aspects about it (the garish colour scheme for one, and the mummy that comes alive). I know Tomb of Tihocan is also unpopular, and just considered an extension of the Cistern, but the end of this level just salvages it for me. I was completely and utterly terrified of those centaurs.

So... the Colosseum? Yay or nay?
I honestly have to agree, its been years since I have even played this game....or any of the classics for that matter. There are many levels that stand out for me, even after so long of not playing. Many levels I still have memories of, such as Midas' hand in the first one. The lost valley with the Trex and Natla's mines, ect... many of these I remember, I can picture them in my head if I close my eyes. However this one I can't I remember one room but that's it. It didn't stand out enough for me to remember it.

Honestly I don't remember if the level was fun or boring, as like I said its been YEARS since I've played it. I've been going back and replaying the classics so I'll have to play this one again and see.
Lara Coft Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-17, 15:37   #57
WWETombRaider

Pretty boring. I didn't mind it at first but now it's a bit tedious. Doesn't help that it's sandwiched between two amazing levels.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-17, 22:24   #58
Mek

"Colosseum" is a decent level to me.

I like:
  • the general concept of the level, i.e. Lara exploring the ancient Colosseum
  • fighting with Pierre
  • fighting with animals in the Colosseum arena
  • the way to the viewing balcony (climbing, tunnels below the arena)
  • the way to the arena – the beginning of the level (the ledges, the first secret)
  • the fact that magnums can be picked up and used in this level

However, I find the puzzles, especially those in the corner rooms above the arena, too simple and boring.

In conclusion, the area and its realization are good but the puzzles aren't.

If I had to compare the Colosseum to the other levels in Tomb Raider 1, I would say that it is one of the worst levels in the entire game. But this is because the other levels are generally great and the Colosseum is just decent.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-17, 00:12   #59
SerJaker

I honestly don't mind the Colosseum. It's the Cistern that I hate. Any level involving changing water levels I hate. And there's so many keys to collect I generally get lost lol.
SerJaker is offline   Reply With Quote