Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 07-01-17, 22:50   #511
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
I don't like Shelley's voice (all respect to the lady though) .

Keep Camilla for consistency's sake like pipermaru said , but if you'll bring someone back , bring Jonell (she did great as a young Lara in TR4 and TR5) , or Keeley
I never liked Keeley for Lara, ESPECIALLY not for reboot Lara. She's way too upper class sounding to the point of almost snobby, which doesn't suit Lara for me and never has.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 22:56   #512
jajay119

I guess, listening to Shelley compere again she's not all that mature sounding. Perhaps, I think a lot of the problem of Lara not evolving is the delivery of the writing, poor as it might be at times, perhaps a change of VA could help with this element and who better to show Lara finally evolving than the original person who delivered Lara to us?
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:03   #513
suli
Inactive

ok, come at me, but I think Shelly is the worst Lara VA ever. her acting lacked emotion, lacked the badassness, lacked everything, it was really one note.

Keeley was the ultimate Lara VA, followed by Judith and then Jonell. Camilla is meh honestly but I think they should keep her for consistency's sake.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:09   #514
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I guess, listening to Shelley compere again she's not all that mature sounding. Perhaps, I think a lot of the problem of Lara not evolving is the delivery of the writing, poor as it might be at times, perhaps a change of VA could help with this element and who better to show Lara finally evolving than the original person who delivered Lara to us?
Shelley is the goddess of Tomb Raider.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:15   #515
wearemany

I agree that Camilla should stay, but for God's sake, she needs to work on that accent. She sounds like she's making a parody of a British accent. She's British herself and she just sounds more natural when speaking, maybe because her accent is mixed since she lives in LA, but when she's voicing her Lara, it sounds... contrived.
wearemany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:21   #516
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
I agree that Camilla should stay, but for God's sake, she needs to work on that accent. She sounds like she's making a parody of a British accent. She's British herself and she just sounds more natural when speaking, maybe because her accent is mixed since she lives in LA, but when she's voicing her Lara, it sounds... contrived.
To me I'd like them to get rid of Camilla, not because of her accent, it's never bothered me as much as many other brits, but because of her sheer lack of VA ability. She is a good actress but not a good voice actress. You can clearly tell in Rise when she was doing scenes with other VAs with the mova etc because they're much better acted than other parts of the game where she's clearly just been in a booth saying random lines. Her Blood ties delivery is just abominable. Sorry if that offends anyone, though why should it if you're not Camilla? But its how I feel. Camilla's delivery ruins the feel of the game for me a lot of the time and I don't feel she nails elements like she should. I'd much rather someone else come in who can VA better across the board. Lara has had 5 VAs now so consistency is completely irrelevant to me. Lara kept relatively the same personality despite having Shelley, Judith and Jonelle voice her. I want to see her personality change now so maybe a new VA woud hit that home better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
ok, come at me, but I think Shelly is the worst Lara VA ever. her acting lacked emotion, lacked the badassness, lacked everything, it was really one note.

Keeley was the ultimate Lara VA, followed by Judith and then Jonell. Camilla is meh honestly but I think they should keep her for consistency's sake.
You say Shelley lacked emotion but Judith is your second best? Judith just sounded perpetually sarcastic even when the tone didn't suit it. I've never been fond of her rendition of Lara. Keeley was better in terms of a broad scale of emotions but her scripting and delivery was far too over the top nd cheesey. I actually get a bit annoyed that she didn't turn round at times and be like 'you know, this is a tad cliché and British people, even ones like Lara, wouldn't really talk like this'.

Last edited by jajay119; 07-01-17 at 23:28.
Old 07-01-17, 23:22   #517
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by suli View Post
I recall reading somewhere that this was the way Core wanted her to be, monotonic.

I do agree with jayjay, at least as far as his opinion on Camilla's VA work on BT. Camilla didn't do too good in that, to the point she sounded bored. I was disappointed, because,mostly, she did find in the main game. She was occasionally off: "sigh, relic no. 308...".

Last edited by Rai; 07-01-17 at 23:35.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:26   #518
JACOBryanBURNS
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
I recall reading somewhere that this was the way Core wanted her to be, monotonic.
I believe she said as much in her interview with Ash.
JACOBryanBURNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 23:30   #519
jajay119

I think Judith was always much more monotonic than Shelley was. Shelley's only crime to me was that, ironically given what I said before, her voice sounded to young and, I don't know why, innocent for Lara.
Old 07-01-17, 23:33   #520
pipermaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
To me I'd like them to get rid of Camilla, not because of her accent, it's never bothered me as much as many other brits, but because of her sheer lack of VA ability. She is a good actress but not a good voice actress. You can clearly tell in Rise when she was doing scenes with other VAs with the mova etc because they're much better acted than other parts of the game where she's clearly just been in a booth saying random lines. Her Blood ties delivery is just abominable. Sorry if that offends anyone, though why should it if you're not Camilla? But its how I feel. Camilla's delivery ruins the feel of the game for me a lot of the time and I don't feel she nails elements like she should. I'd much rather someone else come in who can VA better across the board. Lara has had 5 VAs now so consistency is completely irrelevant to me. Lara kept relatively the same personality despite having Shelley, Judith and Jonelle voice her. I want to see her personality change now so maybe a new VA woud hit that home better.
I want Camilla to stay for the reason I mentioned in my post, but I agree with this.

It's not about the accent, it's her voice that annoys me. Besides being too child-like for my taste, she fails to convey subtle emotions (or maybe that's how she's directed, I don't know). I really think her delivery is exagerated, and her dramatic lines always sound like a parody of some sort.

I do like when she's talking about relics, though. And some of her in game dialogue is not so bad when she's commenting about her surroundings.
pipermaru is offline   Reply With Quote