www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 27-05-17, 06:47   #131
Kivlov
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearemany View Post
Those scenarios are actually very different. In TR2's Offshore Rig, you start out without any weapons, but you're able to retrieve the pistols in 2 or 3 minutes at most. It doesn't offer any challenge at all to the gameplay, because if I remember correctly, you don't even run into enemies until you get those pistols back.
You face at least 2 enemies without getting back your pistols yet. Have to run away for some time. And not 2-3 minutes.

Quote:
Now in TR3 the consequences are much higher. If you play London and South Pacific after India, you're going to lose everything you collected in those three sections when you get to High Security Compound in Nevada. All of your weapons, flares, ammo and medipacks will be taken away, except for 1 small medipack and your hard-earned save crystals in the PS1 version. You'll be able to re-obtain your stuff eventually, but it's going to be harder for you since you'll have less resources to work with in Antarctica, which is the hardest section in my opinion, had you not played Nevada right after India.
Seems I was lucky here, as I selected Nevada just after India. And was able to collect many items in South Pacific and London before Antarctica.
Old 27-05-17, 20:18   #132
TR3 Project
Hobbyist

No, I love this version!
TR3 Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-17, 21:16   #133
wearemany
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
You face at least 2 enemies without getting back your pistols yet. Have to run away for some time. And not 2-3 minutes.
No, you don't need to. 2-3 minutes might've been a stretch, but what I meant was that you get your pistols very early in the level. In High Security Compound, you play the whole level without any guns and only get them near the end. But anyway, you don't need to get into combat or alert any goons before getting your pistols in Offshore Rig. 00:00 until 4:44:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
Seems I was lucky here, as I selected Nevada just after India. And was able to collect many items in South Pacific and London before Antarctica.
You were! This is just one of the tricks that TR3 pulls on you. Not that it matters, I don't really think Watchmojo are some sort of superior beings to dictate what's right or wrong, but in their top 10 list of hardest ps1 games, TR3 ranked #4. Yeah, in my opinion the PS1 version of this game is not only the hardest TR game hands down, but one of the hardest games ever.
Old 27-05-17, 22:40   #134
Kivlov
Hobbyist

Quote:
No, you don't need to. 2-3 minutes might've been a stretch, but what I meant was that you get your pistols very early in the level.
Nice! I've never followed this level in such way. I always entered the corridor on the left after escaping the cell, and had to run away from 2 guards.

Quote:
...but in their top 10 list of hardest ps1 games, TR3 ranked #4. Yeah, in my opinion the PS1 version of this game is not only the hardest TR game hands down, but one of the hardest games ever.
Maybe if I played it on PS with dark gamma and limited saves, I had another opinion.
Old 14-06-17, 03:02   #135
Dian
Student

Sorry if this is too old to be posting in. But I've always been totally in love with this game! I miss classic Lara so much, and I always hoped for a remake like this of Tomb Raider II. Unlikely, but still. But TR2 was always my favorite of the classic games.
Dian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-17, 18:44   #136
mepsipax
Archaeologist

I actually think this is one of the best of the series, and it takes joint top for me - along with III. Quite simply, it's consistently beautiful, fun, well designed and atmospheric. Lara is the best she's ever been as a character here, and my only criticism is the Legend tie in. But even then, it's phenomenal. It's also got some of the hardest platforming of the series which I just love.
Old 14-06-17, 21:59   #137
Opaque79
Student

You're not alone. I love this game as well.

The only part I dislike is the central shaft in The Great Pyramid. Sure, I have done it a few times without death but it is still ridiculously hard.
Opaque79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-17, 22:21   #138
Ashnod
Professor

I say this a terrible amount, but no, you're absolutely not alone.

All of the CORE-era and LAU-era titles combined, this is the one I have played the most and continue to replay the most.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-17, 00:11   #139
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

The only feature about the Crystal games I never liked is that you don't have to time all your jumps perfectly as Lara has this odd skill that magnetically attracts her to the nearest ledge when you jump, in my opinion, TRA is a dumbed down version of TR1 as I find TR1 to provide a lot more of a challenge than what TRA ever could have done but if it were not a remake of the original and a game in itself, i'd say it is pretty well done.

At the time of release, I really enjoyed it but seeing now what was done, Core had put a lot more love into their TRAE and kept everything included, colorful environment and all.
Old 19-06-17, 01:53   #140
Mistress Croft
Hobbyist

Location: in a house, on a street, in a town, in a county, in a state, in a country, that is not your own

No way, This was actually the first Tomb Raider game I owned (the first one I had played was TR III on my uncles PS1) and what caused her to be my childhood role model. (When I was a child, my dad and I would play "Lara Croft." He'd play as the enemy and I'd be Lara Croft. God, I miss though days.)
It isn't my favorite but this game holds a special place in my heart.
Honestly, out of the LAU series, Anniversary is the best because it was a bit harder to beat as the game progressed and you couldn't unlock all the outfits, cheats, etc. so easily. I don't like how Pierre was bald though.