Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 06-02-17, 09:26   #251
Dustie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
@Dustie
This was a problem related to mapping correction. I was able to fix it adjusting the UV coordinates like in original levels and, for triangles, using the first 3 bits of flags field of he object structure. These 3 bits tells which triangle is (NW, SW, NE, SE) and if it's flipped, and the engine uses this info to fix UV coordinates and prevent bleeding.
Ah, so it's something with UV coordinates I don't know much about 3D and it looked as if the textures were rotated, so I thought is it possible that the engine allows rotating the textures under custom angles.

Quote:
@GeekOfComedy
CUrrently, I can't know the compilation speed because I'm testing the editor with small levels fo 2, 3 rooms but in the beta phase I'll do benchmarking with larger levels and I will do anything I can to speed this phase (for example adding multithreading where possible like you proposed )
I'm pretty sure it will be faster than NGLE and it will finally be possible to build and texture levels comfortably
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 09:30   #252
FairFriend

Wow Monty, you are a godsend for the community (just like all the other pogrammers working on projects such as OpenTomb and OpenLara). Looking forward to testing this new editor.
FairFriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 09:33   #253
psiko

your project has full support from Paolone, and you are going to make it completely compatible with trng: this means your tool will be a greatly better program to "create" levels... but will we have also a new engine to "run" our levels? An engine that, as stated 1 line above, will have full support from Paolone and the complete compatibility with trng? I ask for infos about this, because the main issue with our low poly levels (we are most concerned about) is a rendering engine as heavy as elephants that does not supports multicores cpu's...

In contemporary engines, I see the amont of detail of one of my whole level (let's say, 150K vertices) in just one room, with shaders, light maps and real time shadows...

Last edited by psiko; 06-02-17 at 09:34.
psiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 09:45   #254
Dustie

I believe the engine stays for now, first it's the editor that gets a ground-up remake, so we get a new tool to make levels in the current state of things.

Because Monty has the source code for his editor, changes and additions can be implemented properly, as opposed to hacking the old editor (as Paolone does), which means potentially endless possibilities.

Also, currently there others are making new engines which work with the original level files, but have new graphics features. We will see how those projects turn out, but there is a chance that a new engine will be made and completed, although at the moment it's the second thing in line, after the new editor.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 19:07   #255
teme9

Awesome progress! It's really delightful to see this editor progressing so fast! I can't wait to test it

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I could do some mockups about the UI. Since you're getting closer to the UI design part here are some suggestions / ideas for you. Please: don't take these as request of any sort. It is up to you what you feel like implementing if at all. No pressure!

There are probably still plenty of things that should be thought out more. This design is still prone to errors but that's just normal at this stage. There might be some issues with the UI not being pixel perfect!

So let's kick it off:

Quote:
First of all: Here is the full new editor view. Darker UI for better color control & less eye strain.

Full view

Quote:
Seems confusing?
Here is the overview of the layout:

So basically it just like the old editor with few additions and changes. I used many modern graphic programs as a inspiration source: Substance designer, Photoshop, Blender, 3DS Max, Marvellous designer.

So here's a closer look at the panels:
Quote:

2D / Room properties panel

1. Our beloved 2D grid of the room with familiar colors to imply what happens in each sector.

2. Next to it are the buttons to add each type of sectors. Wall, Floor, Box, Monkey, Climb(dropdown button!), TriggerTriggerer and finally this boxy thingy? (I can't remember what this did in the old editor)

3. Under the 2D grid view is buttons for controlling major features of the room:
Copy, Split, Bound(Crop). Next three: New room up, Down, New Tunnel Room. The next two buttons are "Object to Trigger" & "Trigger to Object" buttons

4. Underneath the room feature buttons is "Trigger field". Next to it is the placement button for Trigger sector type.

5. Under the horizontal line we have more precise methods of adjusting the room and its features: Room selector, add, delete, Flip room control.

6. Room type: Water, snow, rain control. Under this are the options for more effects such as reflections and mist.

7. Next to "room type" field are the tick boxes for enabling different features for the room: Outside, Damage, Cold & No lensflare.

8. The small bubble with "i" in it is for giving tooltip window for more precise information about the room: Room size, Object amount etc.

9. Under the last line we have the "ambience" section of the room. Ambient color and Room echo type. (Currently the echo does not seem to work though..) The global setting tick box is basically an option to copy settings from list of global settings so the builder would not need to adjust the colors one by one.

Also: No more that hideous rgb value field which is unintuitive to use. Color box shows the color directly to the builder. Once clicked following Menu would open:

Color Palette.
1. Basic HUE Cube picker.

2. Under this big color field we have boxes for Current color and Old color.

3. Next to it are the fields to set the Color with precise RGB values.

4. Under the two slightly larger color fields we have many smaller color squares that work as a user saved colors. Basically the builder could save his or her favorite/common colors to make choosing colors faster.

5. Next to these small color fields we gave input field for HEX color value. Makes copying colors from outside side of the programs much more faster.

Quote:

Lighting, Cameras, Sounds & Sinks

The idea of this panel is to give better overview/control of the objects that are placed inside the level. Current editor can't give a list of the lights etc. Also if you need to find that one problematic lamp from the room you can do it with this list more easily.

1. At the very top we have tabs for each of level object type: Lighting, Cameras, Sinks & Sounds.

2. List of current type of objects present in current toom. Add & Delete next to it.( Add button would add the object to the chosen square or in the middle of the room if no square is not selected.)

3. Under the list is Quick access for Global light settings.

4. Under the horizontal line we have the select box for light type (easier to change light type too!)

5. On/Off button for disabling the light in the room temporarily.

6. Settings for making the light use global setting (Only for sun bulb?) and option for the light only to affect the level geometry.

7. Under these option we have the Light Color field & Intensity of the current light.

8. Under the light color we have the X & Y rotation of the light.

9. At the bottom right we have the light range options:
Inner angle, Inner Range, Outer Angle, Outer Ranger.
Quote:

Object management panel

This Section could be divided into two parts: Object inspector & Wad assets.

Object inspector (The very left of the section)

1. Bigger 3D view of the current object. Selected from 3D view or either from the list of objects next to it.
The text implies the name of the selected object and if it is selected from the 3D view ("(Selected)"). The small bubble with letter "i" is again for giving more precise info about the current objects: Vertices, Object ID, Collision, Lighting type etc. The number after the name is Slot ID

2. Object Tint.

3. Floor type editor. Works as the current version in the TRNG editor. Choose tile and select Floor type. Plus and Minus adds collision to imitate the room collision for the object.

4. OCB field. Input or see the chosen OCB number. (Sigh... just noticed that I missed the rest of the buttons in the OCB field... sigh)

5. Place button to place the object in selected sector. (If the object is chosen from the list next to the Object inspector).

Wad Assets
This is basically more graphical UI for the Object list. Easier to find objects with larger icons. Possibility to drag and drop objects to the sectors?

1. At the very top: Tabs for each types of objects in Wad. Moveables, Effects, Statics. Probably few more if necessary?

2. At the right upper corner we have a search field to help find specific objects from the whole Wad.

3. Under the tabs we have grid layout of the objects in Wad.

4. At the bottom left corner we have buttons for:
Loading, Discarding and for Refreshing Wad files for the project.

5. Bottom right corner:
Buttons for changing the list type of objects: Grid layout or List of objects. Next to these are sorting buttons: By object ID up or down. Alphabetical up or down.
Quote:

Texture management & Control

1. Top left corner: Load, Discard, Refresh.

2. Bookmarking tools: Mark spot, Hide bookmarks, First, Previous, Next, Last.
Texture settings access. (Big textures etc.)

The bookmark tool would ease finding specific spot from the TGA which would greatly increase the texturing speed of the builder. By pressing the green flag button at the top would activate horizontal line on top of the TGA and by left clicking builder could place the bookmark on the desired spot. (See the green horizontal line across the textures!). Right click would cancel this. Selecting bookmark from the textures and pressing delete would delete this bookmark. Or delete button could be added to the top. The Bookmark horizontal line would ideally snap between every 64 pixels.

3. At the bottom we have the buttons to access: Texture sounds, Animation ranges and Texture tilemap tool.(This last one will need more explaining. I will get to it at later point)
Quote:

3D view tools

3d View would benefit from global XYZ direction gizmo. Basically an gizmo at one of the corners which shows constantly the global direction of the level. If the camera turns then the gizmo turns to points the correct global directions.

Also floating helpful tooltips for these buttons (Actually for every button) would be more than helpful. Also indicating shortcut keys in the tooltip for the buttons would be handy. "(G) Movement gizmo."

3D view tools
Lets start from the Top.
(at the top of the 3D view)
From left to right:
1. 3D view toggle
2. 2D view toggle
3. Lighting On/Off toggle
4. Door On/Off toggle
5. Horizon On/Off toggle
6. Face Edit toggle
7. Crack Edit
8. Animate effects. (Water waving, texture animations etc,)

Object and geometry tools
(at the left side of the 3D view)

From top to bottom.
1. Object movement gizmo. (Gizmo would appear on top of the selected object and the object could be moved using the gizmo. For reference see any 3D program with movement gizmo).

2. Move object to other sector. Select object then square then press this one. Then the selected object would move to the selected sector.

3. Object rotation gizmo. See any 3d Program for rotation gizmo.

4. Next six buttons are for editing room geometry.
First two are Ceiling Up/Down, Middle two are Floor Up/Down.
Next two are: Room up, Room down.

5. 10th button is for debugging illegal slopes. See how illegal slopes currently work in the old editor.

6. Last five buttons are for adding level objects:
- Lights (dropdown menu: point, spot, shadow, effect, sun, fog)
- Cameras (dropdown menu - Camera, Fixed Camera)
- Flyby camera
- Sound
- Current/Sink

Texturing tools
(at the right side of the 3D view)

From top to bottom:
1. Transparent mode toggle
2. Double-sided toggle
3. No Collision toggle
4. Toggle Opacity 1 toggle
5. Toggle Opacity 2 toggle
6. Texture Ceiling
7. Texture Walls
8. Texture Floor
9. Atlas texturing (I will explain this at later point)
10. Loop texturing (I will explain this at later point)
11. Find Untextured spots.
Phew... This took longer than I expected. Once again I must say that do not take these as a request or as a some kind of "to-do" list. I just hope that you might take some inspiration or ideas from these to use. Keep up the great work! ps. The JPEG artefact ruined all the icons

Last edited by teme9; 06-02-17 at 19:28.
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 20:41   #256
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

Mmmm very interesting With your permission I would take some inspiration from your mockups
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 20:55   #257
teme9

Quote:
Mmmm very interesting With your permission I would take some inspiration from your mockups
Yeah, sure! It is all for you to use. Use it as you see it fit! If you need help with the Icons etc. let me know
Old 06-02-17, 21:01   #258
MontyTRC
Tomb Editor

Yes, please send me your icons
I've just found this: http://www.darkui.com/
a dark UI components sets for Windows Forms, tomorrow I'll checkout this.
Thank you
MontyTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 21:11   #259
Zebra

Those mockups look pretty good ! My one note would be to use HSL/HSB instead of RGB for colour selection as it's far more intuitive to use.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-17, 21:13   #260
teme9

^ I guess, each to its own preferences Both would be very handy tbh!

Quote:
Yes, please send me your icons
I've just found this: http://www.darkui.com/
a dark UI components sets for Windows Forms, tomorrow I'll checkout this.
Thank you
DarkUI seem very promising!

Yeah sure, no problem! I'll gather all the used Icons and pack them to you. I will include some of those placeholder ones too. It might take couple of days though. At latest I will do it during the incoming weekend.