www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-10-17, 20:55   #61
Danath
Explorer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opaque79 View Post
If only you could have got the guards to fly, that's one thing I quite like about the original Floating Islands, the sound they make as they get closer and the player is looking around trying to find it.
Yeah that would be awesome to have but i couldn't figure out any way to do that as the guard didn't want to leave its space, even being only 1 tile wide. Stupid creature-thingy.

Quote:
Good luck with the rest of the level. Keep it up.
Thanks.

What's awesome is that i now have the main bulk of the content done, so i can relax knowing i have managed to build everything i wanted so far.
And i can begin working on optimizing the space knowing it all can work out, which motivates me to do it faster.
Old 10-10-17, 21:01   #62
Opaque79
Explorer

It also seems that you had planned this level thoroughly before building.

Wish I had put more effort into planning (my project has 93 rooms with not even 10 minutes of gameplay).
Hopefully that can change.

I think you're better than me at level building.

EDIT: Not that it matters too much. Every builder has their strengths and weaknesses.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 21:28   #63
Danath
Explorer

Wink

Quote:
It also seems that you had planned this level thoroughly before building.
In terms of what ideas i wanted to include and the layout, yes, i gather most of them before starting. But not everything, i was stumped 2 times thinking about what to do on this map.
But in terms of actual rooms to build, i don't do any planning, i improvise. Which leads to the overbloat of rooms i have now.

Quote:
Wish I had put more effort into planning (my project has 93 rooms with not even 10 minutes of gameplay).
Hopefully that can change.
Oh crap, that's short. Try to think ways of modifing what you have built as of now to include interesting ideas/tasks without having to change everything. Maybe you can add something interesting.

Quote:
I think you're better than me at level building.
You can also do what i've done. You have the building skills needed already, it's a matter of coming up with interesting gameplay. Which is my worry currently, "will people enjoy this?" But you can't please everyone.

And also as you said, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. You are better than me with the graphical aspects i think.
Another weakness i have is that i become anxious and i want to rapidly build what i have pictured in my mind, but at the translation to "blocks" i spend too much time thinking about it. I should be more assertive there.
Old 10-10-17, 21:40   #64
Opaque79
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danath View Post
In terms of what ideas i wanted to include and the layout, yes, i gather most of them before starting. But not everything, i was stumped 2 times thinking about what to do on this map.
But in terms of actual rooms to build, i don't do any planning, i improvise. Which leads to the overbloat of rooms i have now.
Improvising works just as well.

Quote:
Oh crap, that's short. Try to think ways of modifing what you have built as of now to include interesting ideas/tasks without having to change everything. Maybe you can add something interesting.
My thoughts exactly. That is the route I am taking now. At least I got around the 2D map space by building the second half of the level underneath the map.

Quote:
You can also do what i've done. You have the building skills needed already, it's a matter of coming up with interesting gameplay. Which is my worry currently, "will people enjoy this?" But you can't please everyone.

And also as you said, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. You are better than me with the graphical aspects i think.
Another weakness i have is that i become anxious and i want to rapidly build what i have pictured in my mind, but at the translation to "blocks" i spend too much time thinking about it. I should be more assertive there.
I agree there. Building the environments to me is pretty easy if you know what to do. Interesting gameplay however, not so much for me. I tend to rush things as well, which is never a good idea. Core didn't rush anything when making the original games.

Yes, there is always something that someone will not like, but like you said, you can't please everyone. Best thing the builders can do is take their time and have fun.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-17, 19:36   #65
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Oh my, The Great Chi is commenting on my level now.

Edit: Does anyone know how to do what Chi posted? If someone would help with that i would be very grateful. I could send the mesh and textures i want to use.
I'm am used to making meshes in the dead space area, and changes to and within the sky box

I can help, assuming that is the solution.

You can send me the level data file .tr2, so I can play this area, and let me see the problem, I might be able to sort it. Send me a PM with the file if you wish to do that, Cheers Chi

Last edited by The Great Chi; 16-10-17 at 19:55.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-17, 22:49   #66
Danath
Explorer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
I can help, assuming that is the solution.

You can send me the level data file .tr2, so I can play this area, and let me see the problem, I might be able to sort it. Send me a PM with the file if you wish to do that, Cheers Chi
Oh thank you so much for your offer Chi. I will send a link for the in-progress map i'm doing now to you by PM, but first i need to adjust some things. I will edit this post when i'm ready to send it.

Edit: I have sent you the link to the .TR2. What i would like to try is placing a "fake" 2D sky inside the dead zone, a little away from the border of the skybox, with the same textures as the border, so you could in theory view the same horizon but without the black wall problem. Or a duplicate of the entire skybox, whichever works ( i hope ).
I hope you can work it out, thanks again!

Edit 2: Chi tried changing the skybox mesh ( thanks again ) but unfortunately it doesn't solve the problem. :\ As i don't want to redesign this i will just go on with it, and put info about the limitation in the readme or something.
I have up to 80 rooms of rearranged space now, and i think i will be able to make the map longer and don't split into 2.

Last edited by Danath; 18-10-17 at 17:24. Reason: update
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-17, 13:28   #67
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Yes, your problem was that you have went by the maximum draw distance, for the TR2 engine, and it will start to show black in the distance against a Skybox.

Just like TR1 which fogs grey in the distance, TR2 shows up black.
The maximum draw distance for TR1 TR2 TR3 is a shorter length than the superior TR4 engine can draw, so TR4 custom games can draw much further distances.

The answer is to redesign the map to smaller areas.
But its your game, and accept it would be a lot of work to start again from scratch.

Anyway after looking at the game, it looks as though it is going to be very good, and I love floating Island games.

So I am looking forward to playing the finished version on TRLE ...
Old 20-10-17, 17:07   #68
thewolf
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
Yes, your problem was that you have went by the maximum draw distance, for the TR2 engine, and it will start to show black in the distance against a Skybox.

Just like TR1 which fogs grey in the distance, TR2 shows up black.
The maximum draw distance for TR1 TR2 TR3 is a shorter length than the superior TR4 engine can draw, so TR4 custom games can draw much further distances.

The answer is to redesign the map to smaller areas.
But its your game, and accept it would be a lot of work to start again from scratch.
As soon as the room is larger than 12x12x tiles the black will appear. I was thinking about another way to solve this. I would build the entire level indoor and around the core rooms with sky . Haven't tested this yet. If this doesn't work, I try to use a portal view instead of connecting the rooms.

EDIT: Both doesn't work

Last edited by thewolf; Yesterday at 15:33.
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote