www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 10-10-17, 13:05   #141
LoreRaider
Explorer

^ On speed, put 0
Old 10-10-17, 13:19   #142
Tjw croft
Archaeologist

Location: Atlantean Incubator Egg; Pre-Hatching Sequence Initiated

I definitely love the bars! Those look so awesome!
Old 10-10-17, 13:53   #143
Opaque79
Explorer

@LoreRaider Thanks. That did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjw croft View Post
I definitely love the bars! Those look so awesome!
It's amazing what the TRNG engine can do.
I didn't see a point in altering the loading bar colour as that's only seen for about a second if that.

On a side note, Forbidden Jungle seems like an odd name as Lara just walks (or slides) straight in.
Opaque79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-17, 14:30   #144
Tjw croft
Archaeologist

Location: Atlantean Incubator Egg; Pre-Hatching Sequence Initiated

Just because Lara slides right in doesn't mean they can't be forbidden. I mean, this is Lara Croft we're talking about here. Not always known for respecting the rule of the law...
Old 10-10-17, 15:11   #145
Opaque79
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjw croft View Post
Just because Lara slides right in doesn't mean they can't be forbidden. I mean, this is Lara Croft we're talking about here. Not always known for respecting the rule of the law...
I did think about that after posting that.

I also thought the alternate title screen was a good idea because I thought it would be weird to have a title sequence in an Egypt setting and then Lara is in a jungle all of a sudden.
Old 11-10-17, 22:13   #146
Opaque79
Explorer

OK. Serious question now.

Although the TR3 doors work as is when extracted (with sound as well), they sometimes lose the sound when I edit the sounds.txt. How can I properly assign sounds to an object without the risk of losing said sounds? If I assign sounds in WADMerger's Animation Editor, it doesn't always work.

I checked this tutorial but it talks about using WADMerger's Sound Manager which I don't want to do as I heard it is very bad and can mess up the sounds in the WAD.

If anyone can provide information on how to do this and what I need, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-10-17, 17:50   #147
Opaque79
Explorer

Triple post sorry.

Wow. Do I feel stupid now.

So I just tried reassigning sounds again and finally found out where I went wrong. I found it was unnecessary to reset sounds before reassigning a sound to an object. Just choose another sound for the object and that's it.

As a result, I managed to fix the sounds in my previous level and now the level has fully working sounds (after I released it unfortunately).

But at least now I can't make the same mistake on this level.

EDIT: So now the question in the post above is now answered.

EDIT2: Is this level even worth the trouble right now? 102 rooms and only 7 minutes of gameplay. I like the look of what I done but the lack of gameplay just shoots it down.
I don't want to give up but I just don't know how I can improve the gameplay anymore.

EDIT3: Small update. Using a suggestion from Kapu, I altered the river area to take advantage of the treetops

But now how can I hide the bottom of the horizon further outside of retexturing it?

Last edited by Opaque79; 13-10-17 at 12:38.
Old 13-10-17, 15:01   #148
DunHill
Student

Everything you built so far is really beautiful and definitely an improvement over your previous releases ! Don't give up now

For gameplay, look at what you've built, maybe you can block one entrance to a room ? and add another series of room on another side with several puzzles, time run to get the item that the player will need to open the new placed door ?
You said that there is an "underjungle" (well, the underground you built). There could be several things to add there as well !

Really, play through TR3 India again and take gameplay ideas from the levels. You can also play reflection of eternity from teme9, which is a really good india based set ! You don't have to be afraid to "copy" others, what they have done will get you ideas, I'm sure of that
DunHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-17, 15:13   #149
Opaque79
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunHill View Post
Everything you built so far is really beautiful and definitely an improvement over your previous releases ! Don't give up now
Give up? Never!

Quote:
For gameplay, look at what you've built, maybe you can block one entrance to a room ? and add another series of room on another side with several puzzles, time run to get the item that the player will need to open the new placed door ?
You said that there is an "underjungle" (well, the underground you built). There could be several things to add there as well !
I have ideas noted down for the undeground.
For earlier areas like this.

It may be an idea to block off the straight corridor with a door and require the player to take a detour to open it (if that's what you're suggesting). Same for the entrance to the river area.

Quote:
Really, play through TR3 India again and take gameplay ideas from the levels. You can also play reflection of eternity from teme9, which is a really good india based set ! You don't have to be afraid to "copy" others, what they have done will get you ideas, I'm sure of that
I have been meaning to play TR3 again for a while. Of course, just because it's jungle themed doesn't mean no indoor areas.
I did try Reflection Of Eternity but never finished it.

Thanks for the tips, DunHill.
Old 13-10-17, 15:49   #150
Titak

Quote:
EDIT2: Is this level even worth the trouble right now? 102 rooms and only 7 minutes of gameplay. I like the look of what I done but the lack of gameplay just shoots it down.
I don't want to give up but I just don't know how I can improve the gameplay anymore.
It is worth the trouble. Because it looks good.

As for gameplay, in addition to the underground rooms that have already been suggested, siderooms could also be used to house extra gameplay.
Tigers attacking, boulders rolling down hills, snakes in the tall grass. Just some simple stuff that can keep the player busy for a bit longer.
Holes down in the river, with passages leading to underground rooms are turn out to be the entrance to a temple that Lara can see from the outside.
Manmade rooms can house traps, like blades and spikes. But they can also house pushable puzzles of some sort (don't have to be the standard blocky pushables either) or other puzzles.
Activating flames either as traps or puzzles.
Lots of possibilities really.

Quote:
It may be an idea to block off the straight corridor with a door and require the player to take a detour to open it (if that's what you're suggesting). Same for the entrance to the river area.
Absolutely!