www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 23-09-17, 14:16   #1
TombGuardian
Archaeologist

Default How to create objects?

Hello!
I have free time and I need to get some new objects for my levels, but no one has made anything that fits.
How can I make my own objects? Is there a tutorial? Which program?
TombGuardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 14:41   #2
Xopax
Archaeologist

Do you know how to edit objects in strpix? Basically just create a mesh in Metasequoia and import in strpix.

Last edited by Xopax; 23-09-17 at 14:46.
Xopax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 15:11   #3
TombGuardian
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xopax View Post
Do you know how to edit objects in strpix? Basically just create a mesh in Metasequoia and import in strpix.
I tried to follow a metaasequoia tutorial but doesn't work for me, some buttons are missing, points I select aren't accurate enough
Isn't there a video that explains how to create objects?
Old 23-09-17, 17:55   #4
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

make sure you have the old version.. the new one... err, sucks.

Btw you basically use 'primitive' mesh creation to create the base of your object. With it, you mold the structure of your mesh (table, statue, ladder, pipe, etc..). You may need to use the 'Wire' or 'Knife' tools to help you shaping your object.

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 23-09-17 at 17:57.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 21:51   #5
Dustie
Relic Hunter

I used old tutorials on trsearch.org when I first started making objects:
https://www.trsearch.org/Tutorial.php

Making Meshes and TRLE Object sections, videos/animations require Flash to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombGuardian View Post
Hello!
I have free time

OMG so jealous :|
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-17, 22:05   #6
TombGuardian
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
I used old tutorials on trsearch.org when I first started making objects:
https://www.trsearch.org/Tutorial.php

Making Meshes and TRLE Object sections, videos/animations require Flash to watch.

OMG so jealous :|
oh ok thanks

Just a few time!

EDIT: I tried to see one with (flash), but I get this both on chrome and on edge.... I have adobe flash player

EDIT 2: I tried:
-Reinstalling the browser
-Reinstalling Flash
-Downloading the htm file

nothing works. Anyone knows how to fix please? :/

Last edited by TombGuardian; 24-09-17 at 07:35.
Old 24-09-17, 08:47   #7
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombGuardian View Post
oh ok thanks

Just a few time!

EDIT: I tried to see one with (flash), but I get this both on chrome and on edge.... I have adobe flash player
[IMG/]https://i.imgur.com/5osQzgw.png[/IMG]

EDIT 2: I tried:
-Reinstalling the browser
-Reinstalling Flash
-Downloading the htm file

nothing works. Anyone knows how to fix please? :/
Sadly, I get the same thing, sorry I haven't checked this before. The site experienced a crash/hack a while ago and is now being remade, so some assets might be missing.

There is a FAQ thread here, where you might find useful info: http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=33759

There is a Meta tutorial here, and I think it is aimed at TRLE:
http://trlibrary.tripod.com/id49.htm

Not sure if you need tutorials on just the modelling in Meta, or a general object making workflow?

Generally it is like this:

- use WadMerger to open up an existing WAD as a source, for example one of the original ones (tut1.was)
- copy 1 static mesh to the target WAD
- save the target WAD (as myfirstobject.was, for example)

- use StrPix to open up your new WAD, you should see your object in the 3D view along with textures (if it's not visible from the start try the Mesh drop down list)
- export the mesh model to DXF, there is an option for that in the menu

- go to Meta and import your DXF: use information in this tutorial to import it with correct size and orientation settings; there are additional possibilities mentioned in the comments as well: https://www.trsearch.org/Tutorial.ph...on=gettut&id=8
- if you apply correct settings during import you should now be able to see your model in Meta as you saw it in the game, WadMerger and StrPix
- you can modify it, or use it as a base for a completely new one; it might be best to modify existing objects to get the hang of using Meta and the import/export process
- after you're done, export the model to DXF also using the information provided in the tutorial

- go back to StrPix and open up your WAD again, then import the DXF
- if you applied correct settings during export you should now see your new/modified model in place of the old one
- DXF files do not carry textures, so you will have to retexture your model; you can replace textures using StrPix import/export texture options, but if you want to add entirely new ones, you will have to do it in WadMerger using the Add Texture option
- after you are done texturing just save your WAD in StrPix and you will have your new object in the WAD
- you can open the WAD in WadMerger as the source, then open your target WAD (tut1.was, for example) in the target and copy the static mesh from your source WAD to the target WAD, and save the target WAD (preferably as a new copy tut1B.was, don't overwrite the current one)

be aware: StrPix will not save textures which weren't applied to an object, they will be discarded from a newly saved WAD
Old 24-09-17, 10:30   #8
Joey79100
Archaeologist

^
Looks like you're still using quite an old version of StrPix, you really should update.
Last versions allow exporting/importing MQO, which doesn't need any export/import settings, and keeps texture information. It also allows cutting textures (so you can import one big texture and cut it into several pieces to fit your needs while you're texturing, no need to cut them in an external software), and can try importing/cutting UV textures when importing with Import Other Format option. And it has many other improvements.
Old 24-09-17, 10:33   #9
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey79100 View Post
^
Looks like you're still using quite an old version of StrPix, you really should update.
Last versions allow exporting/importing MQO, which doesn't need any export/import settings, and keeps texture information. It also allows cutting textures (so you can import one big texture and cut it into several pieces to fit your needs while you're texturing, no need to cut them in an external software), and can try importing/cutting UV textures when importing with Import Other Format option. And it has many other improvements.
No, actually I was going to mention the update which allows to import with textures, I just forgot!

Thanks!
Old 27-09-17, 03:08   #10
Kapu
Professor

There's some tutorials right here on TRF that you might find useful. Check out this post from the tutorials index. Scroll down to the Metasequoia section and there are quite a few.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote