Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 27-07-18, 13:37   #51
WWETombRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
How come? Charmed is the being rebooted the same way though. New family but could have appearances of older characters. The new shower runner has seen all of Charmed and is respecting it by leaving those 8 years worth of stories alone.
They haven't shown anything different thus far. From what they've shown, it's a carbon copy of the original, with some details tweaked, no matter how they spin it. There are already three Charmed sisters. Three sisters who have had their powers bound, find the Book of Shadows, and gain the powers of telekinesis, empathy and freezing. It's essentially the same idea with minor plot tweaks. These new sisters just have their names changed from Piper, Paige & Phoebe to Melonie, Macy & Mandy (?). They just rehashed the "half-sister" story-line from the mid-series of Charmed and introduced it in the beginning ("I think I'm your sister"). The circumstances are generally the same. Same powers, same Book of Shadows, same Manor, same honorific title (the Charmed ones) etc. The gist is the same.

In an ideal world, we would have gotten the new generation of the Charmed sisters (Chris and Wyatt ). Not a complete overhaul of a universe that already exists. When it comes to slayers, the Buffy reboot acknowledges there is one Buffy, one Willow etc. But there are plenty of Slayers, it's already canon. They're are only one Charmed sisters. This rebooted Charmed just replaced the old sisters with a younger and modernized version of them.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. IDK, it could probably be my bias. Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but, from what I've seen right now, it's already a massive X from me.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 13:46   #52
Lara's home

In the Reboots defense, you couldnt go anywhere with Piper's children. They were hyper OP, and one of the series' most glaring weaknesses. When they grew up, evil would lose.

Correct me if Im wrong, I didn't complete the series.

Last edited by Lara's home; 27-07-18 at 13:47.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 14:09   #53
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWETombRaider View Post
They haven't shown anything different thus far. From what they've shown, it's a carbon copy of the original, with some details tweaked, no matter how they spin it. There are already three Charmed sisters. Three sisters who have had their powers bound, find the Book of Shadows, and gain the powers of telekinesis, empathy and freezing. It's essentially the same idea with minor plot tweaks. These new sisters just have their names changed from Piper, Paige & Phoebe to Melonie, Macy & Mandy (?). They just rehashed the "half-sister" story-line from the mid-series of Charmed and introduced it in the beginning ("I think I'm your sister"). The circumstances are generally the same. Same powers, same Book of Shadows, same Manor, same honorific title (the Charmed ones) etc. The gist is the same.

In an ideal world, we would have gotten the new generation of the Charmed sisters (Chris and Wyatt ). Not a complete overhaul of a universe that already exists. When it comes to slayers, the Buffy reboot acknowledges there is one Buffy, one Willow etc. But there are plenty of Slayers, it's already canon. They're are only one Charmed sisters. This rebooted Charmed just replaced the old sisters with a younger and modernized version of them.

Sorry if this seems like a rant. IDK, it could probably be my bias. Or maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but, from what I've seen right now, it's already a massive X from me.
Well for it to be "Charmed" it needs to have the key components, 3 sisters, book of shadows, powers, manor etc... we've only seen stuff from the pilot episode so far, so I'm sure further into the series things will be different. If it didn't have these elements it wouldn't be "Charmed". The characters themselves are very different to the original as well. I wouldn't say they're the same with a name change.

Quote:
In an ideal world, we would have gotten the new generation of the Charmed sisters (Chris and Wyatt ).
I really don't see how the children next generation idea is that appealing. Chris and Wyatt battling demons together seems too much like Supernatural. But like the new show runner has said, she didn't want to mess up any of those stories/characters continuing on after Season 8, as she wanted to respect the original and do something of her own. Surely people would be more upset if she did carry on with those characters and completely butchered everything. It's best she start fresh for her own ideas. That's what I feel at least. The cast have also said they would love the old cast to be included which could have happened, but after all the Holly Marie Combs drama on twitter I don't think so anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
In the Reboots defense, you couldnt go anywhere with Piper's children. They were hyper OP, and one of the series' most glaring weaknesses. When they grew up, evil would lose.

Correct me if Im wrong, I didn't complete the series.
I just think it would be boring with the children. I like Charmed being 3 sisters, alone.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 14:43   #54
WWETombRaider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
Well for it to be "Charmed" it needs to have the key components, 3 sisters, book of shadows, powers, manor etc... we've only seen stuff from the pilot episode so far, so I'm sure further into the series things will be different. If it didn't have these elements it wouldn't be "Charmed". The characters themselves are very different to the original as well. I wouldn't say they're the same with a name change.
Not necessarily. That was written for the Halliwell family, not for this new family. The show runners should know what they want. Do they want to keep the same elements and make an unnecessary modern adaption of old Charmed or do they want to introduce a new family? Do they want a reboot or a revival? A reboot is the last thing Charmed needed. So far they've just showed a re-skinned Halliwell family with nearly the same backstories and there's nothing interesting or different in that.

Quote:
I really don't see how the children next generation idea is that appealing. Chris and Wyatt battling demons together seems too much like Supernatural. But like the new show runner has said, she didn't want to mess up any of those stories/characters continuing on after Season 8, as she wanted to respect the original and do something of her own. Surely people would be more upset if she did carry on with those characters and completely butchered everything. It's best she start fresh for her own ideas. That's what I feel at least. The cast have also said they would love the old cast to be included which could have happened, but after all the Holly Marie Combs drama on twitter I don't think so anymore.
The show runner already cherry picked the original components, she might as well just pick up the original characters as well. If she wanted to start anew then she should have not incorporated the original elements. Remember that in the season finale of Charmed, they had a gaggle of grandchildren. Phoebe had three daughters, Paige had two daughters and a son, and Piper had one more daughter, in addition to Chris and Wyatt. So there was definitely more than enough characters to bring back a revival and differentiate it from the likes of Supernatural. Having grown Halliwell kids fighting evil like their mothers did could have been just as interesting. And, yes, Holly was extra messy. I get it, she's upset but sis has got to hold it together.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 17:28   #55
jajay119

The problem is the pitching and how it's presented. It's ok the maker of neo-Charmed coming out now saying 'oh yeah I respect the original... it existed (Which to me is a complete stock expression hammered off for PR)' now that it's recieved enormous negative backlash. A charmed reboot is not an issue; it's the clear and unashamed pandering premise the new series is basing itself on that I disagree with. Adding into that the acting seen in the trailer just seems bad it's not something I look well upon. This Buffy reboot seems to be setting the right tone from the get go: They're clearly respectful of the original and from one small interview I can see they seem to know their stuff. Not so with the Charmed reboot which was 'hey let's make Charmed again but make it more diverse and overly feminist cause that's what cool now'.

Last edited by jajay119; 27-07-18 at 17:29.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-18, 18:10   #56
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWETombRaider View Post
Not necessarily. That was written for the Halliwell family, not for this new family. The show runners should know what they want. Do they want to keep the same elements and make an unnecessary modern adaption of old Charmed or do they want to introduce a new family? Do they want a reboot or a revival? A reboot is the last thing Charmed needed. So far they've just showed a re-skinned Halliwell family with nearly the same backstories and there's nothing interesting or different in that.

The show runner already cherry picked the original components, she might as well just pick up the original characters as well. If she wanted to start anew then she should have not incorporated the original elements. Remember that in the season finale of Charmed, they had a gaggle of grandchildren. Phoebe had three daughters, Paige had two daughters and a son, and Piper had one more daughter, in addition to Chris and Wyatt. So there was definitely more than enough characters to bring back a revival and differentiate it from the likes of Supernatural. Having grown Halliwell kids fighting evil like their mothers did could have been just as interesting. And, yes, Holly was extra messy. I get it, she's upset but sis has got to hold it together.
I can understand why you think that and that's fair. For me, it seems to be close enough to the original but also has it's own thing going on that I'm intrigued to watch it. So yeah I'll give it a shot and maybe this Buffy one too, and also Sabrina. So much going on
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 14:39   #57
rewak

Well now Disney own Fox this is their idea for rebooting the franchise, garbage books!

https://www.polygon.com/22600437/buf...n-cover-reveal

Quote:
Frankie Rosenberg is passionate about the environment, a sophomore at New Sunnydale High School, and the daughter of the most powerful witch in Sunnydale history. Her mom, Willow, is slowly teaching her magic on the condition that she use it to better the world. But Frankie’s happily quiet life is upended when new girl Hailey shows up with news that the annual Slayer convention has been the target of an attack, and all the Slayers—including Buffy, Faith, and Hailey’s older sister Vi—might be dead. That means it’s time for this generation’s Slayer to be born. But being the first ever Slayer-Witch means learning how to wield a stake while trying to control her budding powers. With the help of Hailey, a werewolf named Jake, and a hot but nerdy sage demon, Frankie must become the Slayer, prevent the Hellmouth from opening again, and find out what happened to her Aunt Buffy, before she’s next. Get ready for a whole new story within the world of Buffy!
Just reading that synopsis caused me physical pain
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 15:28   #58
bublehed

That read like some pretty bad fan-fiction... yikes.

Thankfully they're just books that will be forgotten pretty quickly!
Unless (heaven-forbid) they get super-popular, and are made into another horrible YA movie franchise.

Last edited by bublehed; 02-08-21 at 15:30.
bublehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 16:35   #59
Fantasy

Oh they’re just books? I’ll probably read the first one
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-21, 16:41   #60
Yuna´s Wish

Annual Slayer Convention!?

That's so...

...clever (?)
Yuna´s Wish is online now   Reply With Quote