Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 18-11-17, 16:17   #1
Yeauxleaux

Default Early PS4 model - common problem

Hi everyone, not sure where to post this so I put it here.

So I've been having this problem on my PS4 that seems very common when I look it up, and I wanted to know if anyone else had it and what they did.

Basically, it's an old model, one of the first PS4s that came out. About a year after getting it, I first had the issue of discs self-ejecting randomly while I'm mid-game. I looked it up online, and found out it had something to do with the PS4 heating up, and making a rubber thing behind the "eject" button expand.

Out of frustration (and because I thought it would help) I tore that rubber thing clean out of there... and the problem went away... for a while.

Now it keeps coming back, recurring, and I'm having a particularly bad week this week. I bought Uncharted; Lost Legacy (in disc format) a week ago, and I haven't even been able to finish it, because literally every time I boot the PS4 up this problem starts happening. In the end I gave up and just took to playing my digitally downloaded copy of Resident Evil 6, which I can play without interruption. Even now though, I can still hear the disc tray rotating in the "eject" motion with no disc in there every 5 seconds, and it even beeps sometimes. It's so annoying, and I want to play hard copies of games again.

I'm wondering if there's some home fix for someone who isn't too handy with tech? Money is tight, and I want to avoid paying loads of money to get it fixed (or on a new console altogether) if I can avoid.

Ta x

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 18-11-17 at 16:19.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 21:09   #2
redfox45

What!? Seriously?

Extreme heat testing and troubleshooting should have been the NUMBER 1 priority for this generation of console after the fiasco with the red ring and yellow light of death in the last gen.

Personally I have one of those stand/fan charging station things for it but I still feel the need to pay very close attention to how much noise it's making relative to the time of year that i'l playing it.
playing for long periods in summer is always a bit of a gamble imo, but in winter not only do they take much longer to get hot and noisy they actually act as a heater while they're getting there and make the room nice and toasty
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-17, 23:12   #3
ANoDE
Golden

I own one of the first models as well, but the European Edition (don't know if there's a difference).

Mine never ejected discs, but cooling (and noise) was a problem for me too. I bought an external USB-powered fan and connected it to the PS4 - which worked quite well - but ultimately I just placed the PS4 on top of my desk, with nothing to block the airflow around it. This way I don't need the loud external fan, so it's quite silent and the PS4 stays quite cool.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 04:03   #4
Quebsenuef

My old glacier white PS4 ejected a disc a few times. I just took a clothe and wiped the button as I figured it was dirty and the button thought there was a finger pressing it when there wasn’t.
Never had another problem after that. Sorry to hear your console is acting up.
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 07:14   #5
ivaneiroX

there's an easy way to take the button out that's what i did to stop it from happening lol all my games are digital anyways so i never use the button.
ivaneiroX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 17:20   #6
dcw123

Mine did this too. Kept finding fixes but they were only temporary. As time went on the issue got more frequent to the point where I could only play digital games. It still would beep and eject though..

Got it replaced with a new PS4 and 6 months later.. same thing again.

Not happy! Had to grind my teeth and buy a PS4 Pro - as it has a new design and actual buttons instead of touch sensitive.
Still have the old ps4 sat here gathering dust. Trying to sell it even though its faulty - naughty i know, but what else can I do with a £600 console. Throw it in the trash?!
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-17, 21:09   #7
Dennis's Mom

Have you contacted Sony?
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-17, 04:57   #8
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
What!? Seriously?

Extreme heat testing and troubleshooting should have been the NUMBER 1 priority for this generation of console after the fiasco with the red ring and yellow light of death in the last gen.
They cared a lot less about this generation than the last. The entire marketing and publicity on both of them reeked of "You're going to buy one of the two of us and so we can do what we like", it's why they thought they could get away with all those terrible ideas like always-online and no backwards compatibility.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote