www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Legend

Old 06-12-17, 21:04   #41
kabal
Hobbyist

Favorite: Nepal. I like climbing up the snowy mountains and the icy caves.
Least favorite: England. I think it's boring and I hate that fight with the giant snake.
kabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 23:59   #42
Kapu
Professor

I liked to make data tables, so I crunched the numbers like a big nerd. For consistency, posts with more than two favorites/least favorites were excluded.

BOLIVIA......no votes............ 0 overall
PERU.........1 like, 2 dislike...-2 overall
JAPAN........1 like, 1 dislike... 0 overall
GHANA........6 like, 1 dislike...+5 overall
KAZAKHSTAN...1 like, 4 dislike...-3 overall
ENGLAND......4 like, 5 dislike...-1 overall
NEPAL........5 like, 1 dislike...+4 overall
BOLIVIA R....0 like, 3 dislike...-3 overall

The "overall" total is kind of useless, since some of the most liked levels are also the most disliked. But if you rank them in order of most-to-least favorable, the list looks like this:

1. Ghana
2. Nepal
3. Bolivia/Japan
4. England
5. Peru
6. Kazakhstan/Bolivia Redux

Again, useless because the pool of data is so small, but still kind of interesting! I certainly wouldn't rank the levels in this order personally, but our (way too small to be useful) sample of data comes to this average.

A couple of people have said that they wish there were more levels in TRL. Personally, I think more locations would be over the top; I just wish the levels were longer. Sometimes I wonder how different Legend would be if the gameplay included switches and levers, keys and puzzle items, and a real inventory. Underworld brought back those elements (in a very small way), but imagine if Legend had. Could've made the levels a lot less linear if it was done right!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 13:43   #43
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Not surprising that Bolivia Redux is ranked so low, pretty much all it was was a cheesy boss fight, and a bunch of cutscenes. They could have had Lara go through another fantastic level and end up with a much better ending than the one they concocted.

Kazakhstan - well, that is a low ranker because everybody hated the bike chase in that one. It must have taken me at least a dozen tries to finally get Lara through the last part and onto the train. I remember right before I did it I had managed to get Lara onto the train and then barely overcorrected on the steering and Lara went over the side - again. I was literally screaming at the computer - "****! **** you, you stupid ****ing game! Who's the ****ing asshole who thought this **** up!"

Other than that, though, Kazakhstan is actually a large level with a lot of stuff to do, not bad in that respect. But the bike scene zeros it for people - that, and the fact that it is set in such a bleak environment.
Old 11-12-17, 15:45   #44
JohnCroft25
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
Other than that, though, Kazakhstan is actually a large level with a lot of stuff to do, not bad in that respect. But the bike scene zeros it for people - that, and the fact that it is set in such a bleak environment.
I, generally, dislike the whole first part of Kazakhstan (until you reach the lab). It reminds me more of a James Bond or a Call of Duty game rather than a Tomb Raider one...from the second part onwards though, where you explore the lab, it's much more ''Tomb-Raidish'' for me, so I'm ok
JohnCroft25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-17, 22:43   #45
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCroft25 View Post
I, generally, dislike the whole first part of Kazakhstan (until you reach the lab). It reminds me more of a James Bond or a Call of Duty game rather than a Tomb Raider one...from the second part onwards though, where you explore the lab, it's much more ''Tomb-Raidish'' for me, so I'm ok
Well, yeah, but it's fun to get Lara behind a heavy machine gun and cut a bunch of mercenaries into hamburger. If you like that sort of thing.

The lab was fun but I disliked the end thing too, trying to open the thing to the sword while Fluffy was always knocking me down. That took a little while to figure out.
Old 12-12-17, 20:51   #46
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Some un-Tomb Raiderish things every now and then are good for variation, the Core games knew that as well. Just as long as they don't go on for too long.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote