www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Community > General Chat

Old 12-12-17, 14:06   #1
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Default Scientists to examine mysterious interstellar object

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techno...z&ocid=DELLDHP

Don't know how many space fans here have been following this, but it is something that piqued my interest when I heard about it.

This object is unusual in that it is VERY long and narrow, and it is sort of hard to imagine how it popped of a bigger body and maintained its integrity to fly off whole into space. It's kind of an unnatural thing.

If you were aliens, this would be a good way to recon a system that suddenly started sputtering with coherent radio signals - send a probe disguised as a rocky object off at a very high speed, decelerate it a good ways outside the target system, and then have it fly through at a more sedate pace but at a goodly distance from the target planet to see what you can see, without a great risk for interception.

They ought to beam a powerful radio signal at it containing sequences of prime numbers and other Saganesque stuff to see what happens. If it suddenly decelerated and took up orbit around the Sun everybody would just go ape****.
Old 12-12-17, 15:56   #2
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Yeah I heard about this. But I wouldn't put money on it being an extra-terrestrial starship. Probably just a cigar shaped asteroid, which would be unusual, but hardly the strangest thing out there in the cosmos...
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-17, 22:30   #3
TRfan23
Gold Contributor

This along with curiosity are the kinds of events where you just want to go there (obviously without anyone knowing) in a stereotypical alien costume and in front of the cameras to see their reaction
Old 18-12-17, 19:14   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Launcelot View Post
.....If you were aliens, this would be a good way to recon a system that suddenly started sputtering with coherent radio signals - send a probe disguised as a rocky object off at a very high speed, decelerate it a good ways outside the target system.......
They are scientists checking for any radio waves or signals from this strange long 'asteroid', estimated 400M long and 40M wide, and it is luckiy now leaving the system.
So we are not going to be invaded this week

This recon ideas is good, but AC Clarke's Si-fi book 'Rendevous with Rama' (and hopefully to be a film next) had a different idea and a fictional story about an alien long cylinder spaceship coming into our Solar System, and it was just to do with using the Sun as a slingshot to move on at speed to another star system.

His book had most of the residents on the ship, in a dormant frozen state, so how do we know that this object/asteroid is not the same, as if everyone is in hybernation, there would be no radio communication.

Anyway it make us wonder what is going on out there in deep space

Last edited by The Great Chi; 18-12-17 at 19:17.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-17, 19:59   #5
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
They are scientists checking for any radio waves or signals from this strange long 'asteroid', estimated 400M long and 40M wide, and it is luckiy now leaving the system.
So we are not going to be invaded this week

This recon ideas is good, but AC Clarke's Si-fi book 'Rendevous with Rama' (and hopefully to be a film next) had a different idea and a fictional story about an alien long cylinder spaceship coming into our Solar System, and it was just to do with using the Sun as a slingshot to move on at speed to another star system.

His book had most of the residents on the ship, in a dormant frozen state, so how do we know that this object/asteroid is not the same, as if everyone is in hybernation, there would be no radio communication.

Anyway it make us wonder what is going on out there in deep space
Well, if this were some sort of long term deep space probe, it is probably an autonomous object controlled by a machine intelligence. And its purpose would not be to invade, just investigate from a distance.

In the matter of propulsion, I doubt it would be depending on gravitational slingshots to gain velocity. At those speeds where such gravitational boosts are significant, it would take an immense number of years to travel from star to star.

And I doubt it will be radiating any sort of signal at all, if its purpose is stealthy observation. It would probably rely on something more advanced than radio signals to communicate as well. If there IS advanced life elsewhere, why do we hear nothing in the electromagnetic bands? Perhaps because there is something better?
Old 18-12-17, 20:34   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Its a pity we could not investigate the object closeup, but we are not advanced enough yet, unlike 'Rendevous with Rama', to go out and make contact.

As for life out there, well going by the Drake equation, there should be intelligent life all over the universe. Maybe we are in the remotest part of the universe and just missing out on the fun

https://www.space.com/25219-drake-equation.html
Old 18-12-17, 22:07   #7
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Now that you mention Arthur C. Clarke I'm convinced that the object is a black monolith

Everyone who touches it will get instantly smarter (or be transformed into a star child).
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-17, 04:02   #8
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

If its alien then it’s probably the equivalent of an old lady neighbor with curlers in her hair coming over at 11:28pm to rap at our door and tell us to keep down the racket, she’s trying to sleep.
Old 19-12-17, 05:27   #9
Isaac
Relic Hunter

While they are not 100% certain, they did send some radio signals that lead to believe it was a simple rock.

I guess we will never know, because sending a probe there and reaching the rock would take way too long anyway and given its trajectory it's expected to leave in a year or two.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-17, 05:32   #10
Sir Launcelot
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
While they are not 100% certain, they did send some radio signals that lead to believe it was a simple rock.

I guess we will never know, because sending a probe there and reaching the rock would take way too long anyway and given its trajectory it's expected to leave in a year or two.
Rocks are excellent disguises for alien space probes.

Although, you'd think the aliens would be really smart and make their probe look like a more normal boulder-like asteroid. Design limitation imposed by the advanced alien propulsion system?