Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 09-06-16, 20:54   #1
tomee

Default What is your opinion of Square Enix?

This is inspired by the small debate that flared up in the Do you think it's time for the series to move to another developer? thread.

In my opinion Square Enix is a terrible company that failed to give the support to one of their most successful titles. The fact that they royally ****ed up over half of the fanbase is already bad enough. We still don't have a release date for the PS4.

But in my opinion it goes deeper than that. Tomb Raider was on top of its game once again in 2013. She was a huge icon in the 90's and while they didn't reach that status, I feel they've come damn close to it. With the exclusivity deal they went back to square one. Tomb Raider was no longer being taken seriously like it was in the LAU era. Hell, it's actually laughing stock and an exhibit on how not to release a video game.

I also don't believe Crystal Dynamics saw a dime of Microsoft's money. That was more than likely all absorbed by Square Enix. We all know the game had been well into development before the exclusivity deal was made. Otherwise the exclusivity announcement would've happened at E3, not at Gamescom. Microsoft didn't much care about the advertising and neither did Square Enix. And the fact they completely botched the launch of the game by releasing on the exact same day as Fallout. Laughable.

The negative impact of the mistreatment of loyal fans (I'm not even talking about just the hardcore fans here, but fans in general) cannot even be measured at this point. They may have permanently damaged the credibility and the integrity of the franchise which can show by decreased sales of merchandise and less publications such as books or comics. People have been left with a bad taste in their mouth that won't go away suddenly.

TL;DR Square Enix is a company with a disgusting attitude towards a franchise that is clearly treated like an ugly stepchild in my opinion. And the worst part is that most of the negative reaction is reflected back on Crystal Dynamics, not Square Enix.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 20:57   #2
Patrick star

My opinion is your opinion

I'm praying to god they give the third game the budget it deserves , like I said in the other thread , I don't want them to cut the budget of Rise's sequel just because of its weak commercial performance .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:01   #3
peeves

I'm glad what SE did to rise making it a year late to the ps4.
peeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:05   #4
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
My opinion is your opinion

I'm praying to god they give the third game the budget it deserves , like I said in the other thread , I don't want them to cut the budget of Rise's sequel just because of its weak commercial performance .

What did they need the budget for though? That's what I want to know. I can understand why they would need it for the reboot with it being completely different to past Tomb Raider games but they now have that foundation. The only thing I can think of is the MOVA technology.

------

Anyway, I think Square Enix are a money grabbing company. Which most of the big companies are anyway, there are only a few companies that I can think of that actually care about their fanbase. Yeah they gave into greed because of the $$'s but at the end of the day it's business and that's what it's like.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:14   #5
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeves View Post
I'm glad what SE did to rise making it a year late to the ps4.
Why would you want PS4 players to have to wait?

Anyway, I like Crystal Dynamics. I want to say that as I don't think CD are the problem. I like their Tomb Raider games and their enthusiasm for TR shows, imo, in interviews etc. At least from the likes of Meagan, Brian and Noel.

As far as Square Enix goes, I've never had much of opinion on them as publishers before but they've made bad business decisions with TR with the deal, Rise's marketing and so far their treatment on the 20th Anni has reduced my opinion of them further. Maybe with the exclusive deal they had what they consider valid reasons or they took a gamble, we'll never truly know what was behind it. But it doesn't really inspire confidence in them does it? Not from the fanbase pov any way. Sure it's business, and they're in it for profit, I suppose.

Last edited by Rai; 09-06-16 at 21:20.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:16   #6
Hyper_Crazy

I'm torn when it comes to Square Enix. Final Fantasy is one my favourite franchises and they've been really good to it lately and it's fans. However, when it comes to Tomb Raider it comes across that they really don't care about the franchise at all. At the end of the day they're a business and it comes down to making a profit, I understand that, but they could treat TR and it's fans better.
Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:18   #7
Lara_Fan1

I think their approach to the 20th Anniversary has been ok, it's not the best but we've been promised a lot throughout the year so I wouldn't judge them to quickly on that project. I mean, they're pretty much doing the same as Capcom with Resident Evil. Using social media to show off older renders/throwbacks to the older games.

But is it Square Enix that's celebrating Tomb Raider or Crystal?
Old 09-06-16, 21:19   #8
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
What did they need the budget for though?
Perhaps you're right and Rise would've naturally costed less than the reboot anyways without the needs for cuts , but then if SE decided to do the CUTS this time ..IDK , But I think it's a given that limiting the budgets even more for the development of an AAA game (this is not an LC game we're talking about) would result in a product that's not as impressive (at least technically) as one with the budget it deserves to shine .

I'm not a graphics whore , but I don't want the third game that will conclude this trilogy to be less impressive than the second game , it's a step backwards tbh .

Imagine if they decided to cut Mova for example from the next game lmao , CD aren't very good at hand-animated facial expressions , so Mova was their saving straw , I don't want to go back into witnessing TR2013's horrid expressions lol .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:23   #9
Hyper_Crazy

Quote:
Imagine if they decided to cut Mova for example from the next game lmao , CD aren't very good at hand-animated facial expressions , so Mova was their saving straw , I don't want to go back into witnessing TR2013's horrid expressions lol .
Come on. When was this:

sexier than this:

Hyper_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 21:24   #10
Lara_Fan1

Quote:
Perhaps you're right and Rise would've naturally costed less than the reboot anyways without the needs for cuts , but then if SE decided to do the CUTS this time ..IDK , But I think it's a given that limiting the budgets even more for the development of an AAA game (this is not an LC game we're talking about) would result in a product that's not as impressive (at least technically) as one with the budget it deserves to shine .
I could be way off here but I always thought they gave them the money to use better technology (obviously) so they could make the game faster? It took how many years to create reboot? It even takes Naughty Dog a few years to create their games, an we all know how amazing they are. Rise is great as-well graphically, so to get it out in 2 years is impressive.

Quote:
They can be, LAU where pretty decent for the PS2/3. It was just reboot were they failed miserably with one-expression-croft. I was going to say her expression on the 360 was great but I forgot it was Nixxes that created Rise.