www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future Tomb Raider Games

Old 07-01-17, 19:54   #31
Daft Raider
Explorer

Didn't we have a thread like this before? Anyway, I'll give my answer again:

It could work, as long as the game and story is actually structured like an episodic game, and not like RE: REV2 where it's just a normal game with the chapters sliced up and released weekly to fit the formula.

It wouldn't be any different than say the TR comics, (the top cow ones specifically, where the adventures actually revolved around an interesting artifact and not saving Lara Stock friend #46™) I could see the Medusa Mask saga turned into a sort of episodic game, it's got all the nice twist and turns for ending each episode, but it would need fleshed out quite a bit lol. I think it'd be pretty cool if it were in the right hands.

While it think it could work, I wouldn't really want to see it happen, I think a lot of the people in this thread who are writing it off instantly are confusing their opinion of wanting it with if it could work, so yeah, I think it could work, but don't really want it lol.
Old 07-01-17, 20:19   #32
Zebra
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daring Do View Post
You can explore in a full game! You don't need episodes to explore the game

Why would people praise that? People love only playing bits of a game one month at a time?
But when people get the full game all at once they tend to rush through it rather than taking their time.
Old 07-01-17, 20:20   #33
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I think it could work. I mean dlc of games shows us that it works for most games.

But I wouldn't want it. I hate having to wait between episodes!!

But I wouldn't mind though is...........

1 BIG normal game

Followed by installments released as dlc which are aligned to the big game, following the same theme / engine / look, that are episodic in nature.

Until the next BIG normal game is released. This one being a new kind of game with different themes, upgrades etc.
Old 07-01-17, 20:28   #34
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I think it could work. I mean dlc of games shows us that it works for most games.
DLCs are the plague of modern games, so this is not a good example. Tomb Raider games should be published only as a full, big games in boxes, like every other big game is.

Please people, don't even start with this stupid idea of episodic Tomb Raider. TR series should evolve in a good way, and episodic idea is the worst I can imagine.

Last edited by Cezar; 07-01-17 at 20:29.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 20:28   #35
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Any game could work as an episodic title; perhaps TR more than most with each part of the adventure being an episode but I don't think it woud suit the series in the slightest.
Old 07-01-17, 20:28   #36
Daring Do
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
But when people get the full game all at once they tend to rush through it rather than taking their time.
That's their problem. Even then who's to say that they won't rush through the episode?

TR can technically "work" as an episodic game, but there are zero benefits to having it.
Old 07-01-17, 20:34   #37
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
DLCs are the plague of modern games, so this is not a good example.
I like dlc. Why do you think it's the plague?

I know there can be "cheap" dlc where they essentially take what should be in the game and use it as dlc, but the principle of dlc itself I think is a good idea.
Old 07-01-17, 20:38   #38
Cezar
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
I like dlc. Why do you think it's the plague?
I think it's a plague of modern games because it makes games incomplete. 20 or even 10 years ago, when I bought the game, I had on disc 100% of the content. Now I buy the game and I have about 80-90% of the full game, because later I have to buy and download DLC if I want to play the full product. I think it's not fair, I think all content should be included from the day one on the disc.
Cezar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-17, 20:40   #39
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cezar View Post
I think it's a plague of modern games because it makes games incomplete. 20 or even 10 years ago, when I bought the game, I had on disc 100% of the content. Now I buy the game and I have about 80-90% of the full game, because later I have to buy and download DLC if I want to play the full product. I think it's not fair, I think all content should be included from the day one on the disc.
I thought that's what you were referring to - and I agree, if they take things out of the full game just to make dlc, it's cheap.

But it doesn't have to be this way - TLOU, UC and even Rise's dlc - I think show that dlc can be a good thing - getting to see extra elements that genuinely aren't part of the game. What dlc should be.
Old 07-01-17, 20:42   #40
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I have to agree with Cezar; DLC used to be great. I was something that was done to extend the life of a title and often had good ideas behind them; look at the gold expansions for the classic TR games, for example.

But, these days, DLC is a planned part of the development for the base game and it's clear games now are intentionlly made with chunks missing to sell on later, for example with many games offering exclusive DLC, or access to it, as pre-order incentives for purchasing the game itself, rather than a complete game with a separate entity to extend the enjoyment of that era a few months after the game launches.