www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Community > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 11-01-17, 21:16   #201
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
With games costing now around 100$ CAN
Exactly.
Our full priced games cost AU$100 also.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-17, 21:24   #202
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESCachuli View Post
My only issue with this game is the ledges are even more noticeable than TR2013. And that's saying much xDDDD I mean, even the "mecha-brontosaurus" has some unnecesary extra ledges in bright yellow. You don't need them. She could climb through the scales of the neck. Anyway this isn't a platforming game and it's their first adventure-sandbox game so I can forgive them.

The rest of the game looks very good.
I just like the idea of these machine dinosaurs and the mystery behind them.... I hope it is a good one. I'm even prepared to play another game with a bow to find out what it is.
Old 11-01-17, 23:38   #203
WWETombRaider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1andOnlyTR View Post
Thats exactly why I preordered the Horizon CE.
Honestly, I'm still debating. It's only a matter of time before they sell out. I just don't want to change my mind, then resort to checking eBay and sifting through the scalpers' overpriced ones for a decently priced one.

EDIT: Caved. Pre-ordered it.

Last edited by WWETombRaider; 11-01-17 at 23:44.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 00:34   #204
Peep Show
Relic Hunter

Quote:
It's normal when you lack common sense.

Because clearly, only a deluded person would be against the idea of being cautious and doubtful about game's quality and preorders. Uncharted 1-2-3 was surrounded by positivity and I despised every minute of the game. I pre-ordered Until Dawn and although I loved the game, I invested full-price in a game I haven't touched since my playthrough in August 2016. I don't want to repeat that again, positive press or not. I'd rather wait to see more and do a last-minute pre-order, or miss the pre-order completely if needed, than wasting my money on something I might regret (though to be fair, I don't personally think I will regret getting Horizon but you're never too cautious).

With games costing now around 100$ CAN, I believe I'm allowed to have these doubts, just like TheSassyKid is allowed to not like what is shown. There's nothing magical about having a different view and not jumping blindly on the hype train.
I've never regretted a gaming purchase (or pre-order), if you have it's your own fault. There's so much gameplay and information for every game these days, I find it hard to believe that the game will somehow play differently from what they've shown so far. People who have played it for HOURS have been extremely positive, and I trust them more than some people on a forum calling it "boring". The previews on top of all the gameplay they've shown should be enough for you to decide if the game is something you'd enjoy or not, I don't know what else you want? Reviews? Even if it gets praised like in the previews, it still won't be enough for you guys, at what point do you decide if it's worth getting? Also stop throwing around insults, i'm not the one who lacks common sense. All the criticism in this thread has been extremely laughable: "It has white ledges", "It looks like Far Cry", "It looks boring", I just can't take that kind of criticism seriously.

Last edited by Peep Show; 12-01-17 at 00:38.
Peep Show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 02:18   #205
Murphdawg1
Explorer

You could make the case that pretty much every open world game becomes repetitive after a while. That said I am excited for Horizon, hopefully it is a success and the beginning of a new Playstation franchise.
Murphdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 04:44   #206
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep Show View Post
I've never regretted a gaming purchase (or pre-order),
Cool for you.

Quote:
if you have it's your own fault. There's so much gameplay and information for every game these days, I find it hard to believe that the game will somehow play differently from what they've shown so far.
No amount of gameplay will ever give the vibes and the entire feeling of playing yourself. It's no rocket science, watching a playthrough on youtube will never give the same satisfaction and immersion as playing the game yourself. Why do I need to tell you that?

I miss the time we actually had demos, or renting a game was more accessible.
Quote:
People who have played it for HOURS have been extremely positive, and I trust them more than some people on a forum calling it "boring". The previews on top of all the gameplay they've shown should be enough for you to decide if the game is something you'd enjoy or not,
You completely missed my point, thrice in a row. I'm convinced I will be a minimum pleased with the game. That's not the question. The question is: is it worth, for me, to spend 100$ CAN if it's an experience that could end being repetitive? Grindy? Weak outside its narrative? The game can look incredibly good outside, but it can still be really flawed. If you lack the understanding or the empathy for that, it's your problem not mine.

That's what happened with Infamous: The reviews and trailers convinced me, I enjoyed most of it, but it's not a game I would play again. Some of its part was repetitive. The Last Guardian looked beautiful, promising, great, but it runs like poop on the original PS4 and the gameplay is incredibly flawed. If I had pre-ordered the game like I intended to do, I would have had some unpleasant surprises and no amount of videos would have warned me of them. Luckily, reviews ended being quite objective about the game's flaws, saving me a disappointment, but it shows that pre-ordering a game is not always a safe bet.

You should be bright enough to know that medias and other players tend to exaggerate their experience in the hype of the moment, which brings me at my other point:

I try to avoid watching too much footage because I don't want to be spoiled and I want to experience things myself. This is where demos become useful. I was able to test Resident Evil 7 a fair amount of time and thanks to that, I could take the decision of skipping RE7... Since it's a demo and I played the game myself, it's a spoiler I could deal with, to the contrary of being told what happens on youtube with a trailer.

Horizon? There is no way for me to tell. The game will probably be good on its main content, but deep to the bone, outside the meat, what else will we have? We had one paragraph in a Game Informer article about other activities in-game, nothing yet about replayability. Not quite convincing. I want my investment to last. I have dozens of hours into GTA, Fallout 4, The Last of Us, Rise of Tomb Raider. It's fair for me to expect this amount of replayability with an open world RPG and if Horizon is solely good on its main storyline, nowhere else, well it will fall shorts in term of content. Who knows though, I like to be surprised.

Every game should come with a free 1 hour trial. Steam offer full refund of the purchased games if they were played under 2 hours. That's a perfect solution. It offer a fair taste of the game and if you're convinced: full purchase. I could live with that solution... Or simply more demos, but these asks for development time.

Quote:
Also stop throwing around insults, i'm not the one who lacks common sense.
Pardon me? Your first reply to me was a big condescending laugh of what I said and you talk about insults? You're openly walking with Naughty Dogs written all over yourself and you want me to take you seriously about your common sense and objectivity? No thank you.

If you're fine with trusting game studios, it's great. But we're not all like you and most of all we don't have the same budget and if I have 100$ CAN to invest in a game, I want something I'll like. Horizon has the potential to be that, so does Mass Effect despite the... odd trailers and marketing campaign... Like they could both be disappointing. It doesn't take a degree in social skill to understand that.

That said, I'm done. We'll find out in one month and a half.

Last edited by Isaac; 12-01-17 at 06:23.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 12:37   #207
Peep Show
Relic Hunter

Quote:
No amount of gameplay will ever give the vibes and the entire feeling of playing yourself. It's no rocket science, watching a playthrough on youtube will never give the same satisfaction and immersion as playing the game yourself. Why do I need to tell you that?
Jesus christ, that's obvious and totally not my point. You simply can't expect every game to have a playable demo, but you can still see what you do in the game by watching gameplay videos.

Quote:
You completely missed my point, thrice in a row. I'm convinced I will be a minimum pleased with the game. That's not the question. The question is: is it worth, for me, to spend 100$ CAN if it's an experience that could end being repetitive? Grindy? Weak outside its narrative? The game can look incredibly good outside, but it can still be really flawed. If you lack the understanding or the empathy for that, it's your problem not mine.

That's what happened with Infamous: The reviews and trailers convinced me, I enjoyed most of it, but it's not a game I would play again. Some of its part was repetitive. The Last Guardian looked beautiful, promising, great, but it runs like poop on the original PS4 and the gameplay is incredibly flawed. If I had pre-ordered the game like I intended to do, I would have had some unpleasant surprises and no amount of videos would have warned me of them. Luckily, reviews ended being quite objective about the game's flaws, saving me a disappointment, but it shows that pre-ordering a game is not always a safe bet.

You should be bright enough to know that medias and other players tend to exaggerate their experience in the hype of the moment, which brings me at my other point:

I try to avoid watching too much footage because I don't want to be spoiled and I want to experience things myself. This is where demos become useful. I was able to test Resident Evil 7 a fair amount of time and thanks to that, I could take the decision of skipping RE7... Since it's a demo and I played the game myself, it's a spoiler I could deal with, to the contrary of being told what happens on youtube with a trailer.

Horizon? There is no way for me to tell. The game will probably be good on its main content, but deep to the bone, outside the meat, what else will we have? We had one paragraph in a Game Informer article about other activities in-game, nothing yet about replayability. Not quite convincing. I want my investment to last. I have dozens of hours into GTA, Fallout 4, The Last of Us, Rise of Tomb Raider. It's fair for me to expect this amount of replayability with an open world RPG and if Horizon is solely good on its main storyline, nowhere else, well it will fall shorts in term of content. Who knows though, I like to be surprised.

Every game should come with a free 1 hour trial. Steam offer full refund of the purchased games if they were played under 2 hours. That's a perfect solution. It offer a fair taste of the game and if you're convinced: full purchase. I could live with that solution... Or simply more demos, but these asks for development time.
I seriously can't believe what i'm reading here. You're afraid of it being repetitive? Guess what? EVERY game is repetitive, you're mentioning games like ROTTR, GTA, Fallout which are repetitive to the max, yet somehow it would be a problem if Horizon was a bit repetitive. Also I find it hilarious that you're okay with purchasing Fallout 4 which is filled with bugs, but it's a problem in The Last Guardian. You're having lots of double standards here, but i'm done arguing about it.
Old 12-01-17, 13:22   #208
_Doppie_
Professor

Jankrow must be truly excited right now.
Old 12-01-17, 14:02   #209
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I seriously can't believe what i'm reading here. You're afraid of it being repetitive? Guess what? EVERY game is repetitive, you're mentioning games like ROTTR, GTA, Fallout which are repetitive to the max, yet somehow it would be a problem if Horizon was a bit repetitive. Also I find it hilarious that you're okay with purchasing Fallout 4 which is filled with bugs, but it's a problem in The Last Guardian. You're having lots of double standards here, but i'm done arguing about it.
1. Tomb Raider is a known franchise, I know what to expect when purchasing it. Also, regarding Rise: Expedition modes + game modifying cards + endurance mode + elite challenges + chapter replay allow a fair amount of diversity in my playthrough.

2. GTA Online keeps receiving updates and new game modes. If we forget the online part and focus on the single player, Rockstar has the reputation of creating steady and polished open worlds with a great gameplay. The game is filled with side-quests and other in-game activities that prevent me from being bored.

3. I buy Fallout 4 for the true freedom and the insane amount of mods, not for a steady experience. When you buy a Bethesda game, you acknowledge the optimization will be flawed. It was never about a polished game but what you could do in it and no other game studios reach that level of liberty.

4. The Last Guardian was in development for 10 years and is a console exclusive. The only content available for the game was the... storyline in fact. You'd expect the sole content to be steady.

5. Horizon is a new IP we know nothing of outside of what was shown. If the main storyline is good, then it's all fair, but I don't want another Infamous:Second Son game where that's all there is to the game. I don't want the open world to feel empty: beautiful to look at but lacking in content.

I don't see any double standards here, just someone butthurt because he can't consider the idea that his beloved game might be flawed. All the games above had enough content and diversity in their mechanics to satisfy a fair amount of playtime.

True, every game can become repetitive after a while, but some game studios handle it better than others and are capable of adding a few twists there and there. Does this apply to Guerrilla Games? Who knows. We'll find out soon enough.

Last edited by Isaac; 12-01-17 at 14:06.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-17, 14:27   #210
Peep Show
Relic Hunter

Oh my... So if you're Bethesda you can get away with a buggy game, pretty cool double standards you have there like I said. There is NO excuse for a buggy game.

And I can't @ GTA having good gameplay LOL, Rockstar can create great open worlds, but their gameplay is extremely basic. Their on foot controls, and shooting mechanics are terrible and really clunky compared to Watch Dogs for example. Let me not even start with their side missions, those are so repetitive it hurts.

I won't even reply to the rest, you're calling me a fanboy while making up excuses for your beloved games.